Plugins (eg Compressors and EQs)

17 replies [Last post]
jooools

hi all, ive recently downloaded a few free 'plugins'(dont understand what that means) featured from this site: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/06/26/free-mastering-software/ to attempt mastering some of my work myself, however, i haven't got a clue how to even open any of the compressors or eqs i just downloaded, nor do i understand what plugins are or how to use them. i would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer any of the following questions!

how do i open a compressor for example that i downloaded?
can i use these plugins with nanostudio?
do i need a particular programme to use these plugins?
can you use these plugins without a DAW?
what are plugins?
if i can use them with nanostudio, how do i do it?!

i literally have no idea what im doing here, all i know is ive downloaded some things like compressors and they are in their folders. pleeeease could anyone help me at all with how to use them as i really want to attempt mastering myself using these plugins, but i literally have no idea what to do at all, ive never used plugins ever. im really desperate to use them so PLEASE help me if you can, and if you can answer any of those questions, please do!!! thanks everyone im begging here!

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

You can't use them in NanoStudio and you need a desktop DAW to use them. Maybe you should try things like AudioMastering app for iOS.
You can't use VST plugins which are made for win or mac in any iOS app. Or do you mean the desktop version from NanoStudio. But i also doesn't support plugins. Also you need for all plugins a DAW (only some maybe have a standalone mode).

Cpu Red

From what I remember you're using nanostudio on windows right? If you want to use plugins on windows I would suggest downloading Reaper, it's free to try for an infinite amount of time but if you like it you should really buy it to support the company, it's fairly cheap. I would suggest doing a google search on how compressors and eq work before attempting any mastering yourself. I would also probably do a google search on the difference between mixing and mastering. If you're on an ipad I would suggest buying auria and the fabfilter eq, Saturn and both compressor and the limiter plugins. While it will cost you about 200 dollars for all of those, they will really help you understand how they work because they have awesome tutorials and the plugins are very visual, you can see what's going on when you adjust parameters.

Stiksi

This is the Nanosync Windows forum, guys :)

If you want to master your own tracks, go ahead, Reaper is complex as hell but cheap. Just keep the original files because you'll be wanting to remaster the track in a few years once you get the hang of it. But it's fun (in the WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?!! sense of the word), I highly recommend it.

When you pick a DAW, there will be documentation or at least a google search will reveal where and how you need to install your VSTs.

Good luck!

jooools

thanks for the replys, i didnt realise this was the nanosync forum my bad, i think i will save up for fl studio to use the downloads, thanks for the replys :D

jooools

i meant for nanostudio windows, why cant you use plugins with nanostudio for windows?

Stiksi

Because it's not meant to be a full production programme. If it was, it would cost as much as all the other DAWs. The desktop version of NS is basically a preview of what you're going to get when you buy the iOS version. Blip has been very nice to add features like play/stop by pressing space which aren't in the actual app but it's still a free demo of a paid product.

alphacat

Further, such plugins - being made by various third parties - often have wildly different "expectations" about the system running them that would make their usage unfeasible. Things like processor power, memory, etc.

Bear in mind that even getting VSTs to run on Mac is a bit of a chore for the same reasons, although not as unfeasible.

Each plugin is effectively its own little program running inside yet another program; unless it's designed to be handled easily by the host program AND that program's host system, you're talking about 3 levels of machine translation so far, as it were.

+1 on Reaper too. :)

tom_tm

I'd happily donate a kidney for Eden to become either a standalone iOS synth app, or an AU/VST plugin. Just saying. ;)

Cpu Red

I highly doubt that you have 3 kidneys to donate :)
Why do people want Eden to be standalone on ios? Do you have problems running NS with other programs? The only time I can't use NS is when Auria is running. NS runs but it won't make any sound.

tom_tm

I was going to suggest all 4 kidneys actually. But then that's because I'm from Mars, and us Martians have 6 kidneys. 2's enough for me. :)

tom_tm

Okay, haven't been drinking rum now...

Red, why do I want Eden as a separate app...? Because it's just been announced that Steinberg have just submitted Cubasis with automation to Apple. I wanted to put £35 down on a copy, and I want Eden as a IAA compatible app to use in Cubase. I still plan to use Nanostudio, but for other things (which don't include audio tracks). Fair enough, Matt's working on this right now, but since there's no ETA, I can't work with a timeframe like that, not knowing when it's going to be released etc. Getting impatient and a little bored of the silence. ;-)

I'm also about to buy an iConnectivity MIDI2+, and in conjunction with my laptop! it would be great to be able to use Eden as a plugin for Logic via my ipad. That isn't such a bad idea is it?

instinctive

Just to chime in on this: I didn't want to "advertise" Cubasis here, but yeah, if the coming update arrives and is stable, damn, it will finally be the first "feature-complete" one-app-does-it-all DAW for iOS. I have wished all the time that NanoStudio would be first...

Stiksi

All right, way to go Cubasis! Now all I need is a 75% discount and some time to sit down and actually write some music.

tom_tm

The competition is good for Matt.

And to top it, Caustic just got raised to 3.1 (including a very cool hidden 'easter egg'), with a mind bending set of new functions as well as a new synth. But again, good competition for Matt. He needs to raise the bar even more- something I'm sure he's more than capable of. :)

syrupcore

Well, we know NS2 will come out before BM3 because they need to wait to see what the new sequencer looks like, natch.

I bought Caustic this weekend. Some wonderful sounding synths. I didn't jive with the patterns just yet but it's a nice piece of work. Turns out he also has a game development past. Must be a thing.

@tom_tm you can drive 15 edens from cubasis via audiobus and virtual midi (or via iconnect2 and your laptop). When NS went on sale a few weeks ago I tried to get other people on the AB forum to think of it as a 15 part multimbral synth/sampler vs an all-in-one. For 5 dollars. Totally obscene! Eden may not be iSem but it is a great synth and you can run 15 of 'em. With effects!

tom_tm

Okay, cool syrupcore. I still haven't laid down this £35 for cubasis yet. Nor have I been able to get my hands on an iconnect2 yet. It seems the distributor is favouring Germany before Britain.

DoctorEden

Caustic 3.1 velocity sensitive beatbox cc assigning and automation easter egg and a new modular machine was enough mini 'reason' for me to pull the trigger at 9.99 It's very smooth but it's not Ns2...;) nice addition to my multiple ios studio setup indeed. Can't wait for NSX!!! Your awesome Matt !