I Am Emotionally Prepared For NanoStudio 2

77 replies [Last post]
Harisonzamperla

Here's hoping it's universal. I cant fathom why so many developers miss out on potential customers. 2 of the 30ish musicians I know have ipads but all except a couple have iphones. And most of them now have nanostudio and tonestack (my two favorite apps that I evangelize about a lot). Especially with plus phones or even the new 6 and 6s they're plenty big enough for any music app. I love being able to put a synth or amp in my pocket.

Slam-Cut

I'm pretty sure Matt said it will initially be iPad only. It takes a lot of work to make an app universal, so Matt's plan was to get NS2 out there first, then work on making it universal.
I greatly appreciate this strategy. A lot of developers do this. It has been a long wait and I am anxious to start using NS2. Based on NS1, I think NS2 will be fantastic and worth buying a new iPad just to use it. IPad + NS2 app will be a bargain compared to cost of PC/MAC + DAW + Synth. I also think NS1 is worth buying an iPod touch or extra iPhone just to continue using it.

Harisonzamperla

I can't afford 600 for an ipad unfortunately. Looks like I will have to figure a temporary substitute in the meantime. Can't find any iPhone only synths that keep up with nanostudio tho. Magellan is great but is limited in terms of what I've been able to replicate. Sunrizer is cool too but it's outdated and he lots of issues. Hoping it gets updated soon

tom_tm

Apple forced me to update from os9 to OS10 so heavens knows what'll happen at os11. I've really enjoyed having both iPad and OSX versions simply because there is no root folder on the iPad and transferring tracks from NS into Logic has been really painless. But I spend more time these days concentrating on having a 'proper' job, I rarely get enough time for music making. :(

So although having NS2 truly universal again would be lovely, it's not completely necessary. Just get NS2 out, on iPad, and we'll happily help you test it. :)

qym3

I too appreciate being able to use the iOS version as well as the OS X version of NS1; especially when it comes to accessibility to files/folders and for the increase in screen real estate (especially for arranging). An iPad edition of NS2 would still be a welcomed start.

Blip Interactive

When it comes to launch time, there are three main elements where I've got options:

1. iPad version
2. iPhone version
3. IAP gubbins (content, extra effects, whatever)

Unlike NS1, I've been treating the tablet version as the 'lead' version this time round. The phone version works OK but has some rough edges and I expect will need 4-6 weeks' work to make the grade, particularly because there are now a few different screen sizes around, all of which need individual attention to some extent.

It's a similar story with IAP - I have some content and effects in hand which I feel would be suitable, but it'd be nice to spend a bit more time on them to get them up to scratch. Again, probably 4-6 weeks.

So by phasing in the phone and IAP I can probably bring the release forward by 8-12 weeks, which is a pretty attractive option given that it's been taking me so long.

I'd probably consider desktop versions once the update cycle slows down a little. Although I can see requests for Android also might compete on priority, which is a discussion for another day...

Anyway that's the (and I hazard to use the word) 'plan' at the moment. Subject to change. T+C's apply!

Slam-Cut

Excellent plan sir!
(Much applause)

I think 4-6 weeks to phase in the iPhone is pretty darn quick compared to other major synth apps, and lightning fast compared to DAWs. Major DAWs like Auria don't even have an iPhone version. IAP to come as you develop them is just perfect. I look forward to those. Also I would happily pay for a desktop version, when you get the time for it, especially as I feel a desktop version will help to guarantee a bit of 'future-proof' quality of .nsp2 files (or whatever they'll be called), much as the desktop version helped with NS1.

I'm getting excited.

Stiksi

:D :D

kitejan

.....and of course if you need some beta testers......

There might be one or two on here :-)

tom_tm

"The phone version works OK"

You have a version already that is alpha-beta etc?? i.e. 'it works'???

___SWOON!____

OMG YES!!!!

Blip Interactive

Well maybe I should rephrase that as 'the bits which are done work OK' :)

The main thing left now in terms of development is the sequencer.

kitejan

Yes, but what colour is it going to be?

Harisonzamperla

I've waited this long and I'll gladly wait for the iPhone version. That's great news! I know developing is a pain so I totally understand having seperate versions. Can't wait

Slam-Cut

the sequencer is my favorite part!
Yes the color scheme is very important. Hopefully some degree of user defined color schemes will be available, maybe as IAP. Love to play around with color schemes...

TwistedGenetics

I can't wait..

getting so excited. Would be amazing if it were out before my holiday in April but that's a pipe dream :)

Slam-Cut

Whoa now! DANGER!
We don't want to peak too early.
ETA September. Expect October-ish.
I'm counting on NS2 for my Christmas present this year.
If it comes earlier, I'll be dead chuffed.
(Scratches chin and wonders about the correct use of that particular idiom.)

TwistedGenetics

I know - it's nice to dream though :)