A message about iOS 7 from the Audiobus team

16 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

I thought this would be worth posting for those planning to update to iOS 7 when it's released:

"Hi folks,

We're on the cusp of iOS 7, and we're here to urge caution: If you rely on music apps, please don't update yet.

iOS 7 audio is not ready. There are a wide variety of bugs that are causing performance problems, crashes and other problems in a large number of music apps.

This may change in the future, but until we see a few point releases for the OS, we strongly urge you to stick with iOS 6.

Cheers,
The Audiobus Team"

tom_tm

And if you don't use Audiobus? (I don't).

Blip Interactive

.. take a gamble?

In all seriousness, the Audiobus forums may be a good place to try and find out. I tend to work solely with one app, but those guys probably have a lot more experience with a wider range of apps.

iammane

I think they indicated it's not just Audiobus having problems - there are issues with other audio apps as well.

I don't much care, gonna update anyway.... it'll all iron out.

tom_tm

Tell us how it goes then. :)

Slam-Cut

I don't feel any urgent need to update to iOS 7, especially if there are issues with music apps.
Am I unaware of some great new benefit in iOS 7? Will Siri be giving massages?

andyxr

Does NS work with iOS7?

Devvy

So far, I could open my latest project in Nanostudio just fine under iOS7 on my iPad2. Also some minor testing with Audiobus and Magellan didn't reveal issues.
The good thing of iOS7 that no one is talking about is that iPhone apps look much better on non-retina iPads now. I use Sunrizer and NLog in their iPhone incarnations. iOS7 uses the retina graphics of the iPhone apps when upscaling the apps on the iPad (the 1x/2x button is gone btw).

My experience with iOS7 in general on the iPad2 is positive; although it is a bit slower overall, and sometimes not as smooth, esp. when closing apps and returning to the springboard.
Also the standard iOS keyboard reacts slower, esp. when switching to numeric mode. But on the other hand the Appstore app feels much quicker.

iammane

I've updated my iPad 3 to iOS 7 - it's been a welcome change, very smooth, I like the look.

With that said, I'm noticing weird behavior with Audiobus. Standalone apps seem to be working just fine. I loaded up AB and put Cubasis in the output slot, Figure in the input and tapping Figure to open it up fails. Had to menu out of AB, go back in and then it works - just general janky behavior.

Same story with Sunrizer on input slot on AB with Cubasis on output.

Also, I thought acp was going away... but the general pasteboard still seems to be there and working just fine? So I'm a little confused haha...

EDIT: Nanostudio seems totally fine so far, but to be honest I haven't been working with anything much lately

syrupcore

Also, I thought acp was going away... but the general pasteboard still seems to be there and working just fine? So I'm a little confused haha...

The sonoma pasteboard went away - where you could have up to 11 files in the pasteboard.

Blip Interactive

The Sonoma audio copy/paste going missing in iOS 7 was a bit of a surprise to me. I suppose I shall do another update at some point to get it working again.

iammane

Ahhh @syrupcore thanks for clarifying, this is good. I usually only used one at a time anyway. I can see how this is a major, major bummer for people using multitrack/stem export. We'll have to see what Retronyms have up their sleeve.

@Blip yeah, usually makes more sense to add more features, rather than remove, especially since it's not like it needed to get axed to make way for something else. And it's not like it got in the way of anything (that I would know of)

Stiksi

"The sonoma pasteboard went away" Whoa, that's a biggie! Thanks for the heads up, now I won't succumb to the inevitable urge to update against my gut feeling. iOS7 is seeming like a worse deal every day.

syrupcore

It went away because of ever stricter app sandboxing rules. I think specifically, it sandboxes an app's pasteboard which was the original hack that allowed sonoma to work. The good news is that the one from Retronyms is better (more like audioshare) *and* by all accounts much much easier to implement for devs.

Blip Interactive

I did get a mail to say that Retronyms will be looking after ACP for iOS 7. I'm pretty sure that the one thing it didn't actually say was that the old one's going to stop working!

Stiksi

Wait, does this mean that apps like Pastebot, which shares copied text and images between iOS devices and the mac, will also stop working? That would effectively lock me down to iOS6 for the foreseeable future.

syrupcore

I dunno. Guess it depends on how they work. I'm guessing apps like that are fine since a mac app isn't likely going to be able to inspect an ios app's internal pasteboard with out without sandboxing rules. They may just communicate with each other via wifi or via central server.