power of A7 chip

9 replies [Last post]
dendy

this is interesting... based on these benchmarks, and based on fact that apple claimed that A7 will be 2x faster than A6:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks
http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

ipad4 (A6 chip) : 1778 points
power mac g5 (2004) : 1773 points

if A7 is really 2x faster than A6, it means approx 3400 points - this is comparable to 2008 macbook pro with 2.6 ghz core2duo !!!

i believe that next year will be VERY interesting regarding DAW's on iPad if somebody (hope it will be matt with NS2:-)) will bring DAW with hi-quality fx and synths which will be able fully use the power of A7 chip ...

i think with A7 chip there is finally enough power for ios daw´s to be competitor for desktop daws in terms of sound quality

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

But without enough ram... it is pretty useless!

dendy

i don't think it's useless - for synthesis and fx you don't need so much ram... and long wavs you can stream directly from flash disk... of course 4 GB of RAM will be nice, but also with less RAM it's far away from "useless"

O.k. perhaps "useless" is to harsh but the low ram is my limitation number one yet....but at this moment no one knows how much ram the 5S have.... with at least 2gb i would consider to take a new 64gb device (i was hoping for 128!). Not the topic but i hate too that they bright up the black/slate one... space grey... lol. I like the gold one look in some ways but i'm not searching for jewelry. But most important i need a black front.
So if they give me 2gb of ram.... they can take my money... if not... waiting another year ;)
.......and please give me 5" iPhones then!!!

dendy

why is ram limiting you ? just curious... okay, in NS it may be problem - the projects where i need work with long wavs i make in Beatmaker - with "disk streaming" option ram is no problem...

I also use BeatMaker2 for mixing my tracks but i'm often running 5 apps at the same time. All loaded with long wavs. 1gb is not much for me. How i said it's just my workflow but i really need at least 2gb now to can do what i want. There are work arounds but it's not perfect. Android devices are on 3gb now.... so that can't be so difficult apple! Especially with the new multi tasking in iOS 7 it would make sense for me!

instinctive

I was also almost sure to buy the 5S, however I'm also severely disappointed that there is no 128 GB option. Hello? The iPad 4 has one. So, I need to continue taking my music library with me in COMPRESSED (yuck!) formats.

iammane

dendy good find! I agree, between what could come of audio on iOS and gaming it's going to shape up to be an exciting year. I'm actually in the process of selling my desktop, between the phone and the iPad I've used by PC MAYBE 50 or so hours since I built it back in January (!)

And hell, if all else fails there is always XBOne or PS4 lol :)

Either way, it's been nice doing all music on iPad, I can't even imagine sitting down at a desktop now to do this anymore. The workflow is a bit of a pain in the ass but it's better than it's been before and hopefully with more details on this inter-app audio it'll get even better.

Amazing stuff

dendy

detailed A7 review and lot of benchmarks... the power of this chip is impressive !!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/

i think, with this cpu, we can expect massive DAW improvement in next year... i hope :-)

at this moment, Auria is only DAW for iOS which is able fully utilise this great cpu power but we will see what will bring near future...

...but still the ram.... mhhhh... however i ordered an new iPhone 5s and i will see how it will work soon ;)