NS for MAC OS X 10.8.4 - USeful?

4 replies [Last post]
BTLNS

Hi,
I am new to this forum but have been using NS for iPad, 4th gen. retina for quite some time (love it). I just got a new MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.4. I plan on running both Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11 (initially 11, and eventually 11HD Native).
Upon reading some of the reviews for NS Mac OS X, they suggest that NS for Mac is of limited use without the touch screen features of the iPad version and that the free Mac version is more of a sales tool to increase exposure to iPad owners. I am wondering myself how true this may be as there is no descriptive detail for the Mac version on the blip website.
My interest in a Mac version would be:
1) Getting my original iPad work off of the iPad, retaining all tracks per song in their original midi format with all of the same native sounds ( synths and TRGs) onto the Mac for further manipulation/recording/overdubbing. (Are the same native sounds available on Mac version?) .
2) Will the Mac version accept midi keyboard and pad inputs?
3) Will the Mac version accept digitized usb (or thunderbolt) audio input tracks (i.e., Apogee Jam, Quartet, Symphony I/O)?
4) Can I use the iPad (either via iPad NS or with an iPad midi keyboard/controller app) as a directly connected (USB) midi controller for midi input to the Mac version of NS?
5) Though I also have MultiTrack DAW and Auria on the iPad, I think that I would also like to be able to take the results of 1), 2) , 3) and 4) above, on a track by track basis (audio rendered but not mixed down) and bring them directly from NS Mac into Logic or Pro Tools for adding live guitar tracks and final mix-down.
Is any of this doable with NS Mac, and if not, any comments on the usefulness (or lack thereof) would be appreciated. Also, does NanoSync play any role in the above.

syrupcore

1) Getting my original iPad work off of the iPad, retaining all tracks per song in their original midi format with all of the same native sounds ( synths and TRGs) onto the Mac for further manipulation/recording/overdubbing. (Are the same native sounds available on Mac version?) .

--yes. Save your project as a .NSP file ("export nsp"). transfer to your mac with nanosync.

2) Will the Mac version accept midi keyboard and pad inputs?
-- yes.

3) Will the Mac version accept digitized usb (or thunderbolt) audio input tracks (i.e., Apogee Jam, Quartet, Symphony I/O)?
-- yes

with 2 and 3, there are some devices that seem to have problems. Lucky for you it's free to find out if yours works.

4) Can I use the iPad (either via iPad NS or with an iPad midi keyboard/controller app) as a directly connected (USB) midi controller for midi input to the Mac version of NS?

-- No. You can use your iPad to send midi to your mac but not via the dock directly. You'll either need a midi interface or you can set up a network sessin on your mac. Google that one.

5) Though I also have MultiTrack DAW and Auria on the iPad, I think that I would also like to be able to take the results of 1), 2) , 3) and 4) above, on a track by track basis (audio rendered but not mixed down) and bring them directly from NS Mac into Logic or Pro Tools for adding live guitar tracks and final mix-down.

-- NS doesn't support multichannel audio outputs but it does have a bouce to stems feature. Manage>mixdown>set "output" to "Mixer Channels". It'll output 15 tracks each time, even if the tracks are empty. You can bring those into logic or PT or whatever.

BTLNS

Syrupcore,
Thanks for the detailed answers...exactly what I needed to here. NS Mac sure sounds useful to me and is on the "to do" download list.
With regard to 2),3), and 4), I'll hopefully be starting out with the Apogee Quartet (not yet purchased), which has midi I/O. Would you happen to know if this is one of the interfaces that works with NS Mac and NS iPad problem free. I'm also looking for a top quality keyboard, probably 49 key...any suggestions?
Also, with regard to network sessions (iPad to Mac), I've tried a network session with iPad Pianist Pro and Mac Garage Band and found the latency to be unacceptable. Unless I'm doing something wrong (not optimizing or there's a better app), should I assume that the experience would be similar with NS Mac?

syrupcore

Dunno about the interface, sorry. with a network session be sure to try creating an "ad hoc session". that skips your router and speeds things up a lot. Google will be able to explain it better than I could. :)

BTLNS

Syrupcore,
Will do (check out ad hock session). Thanks again.
You've been very helpful.