NanoStudio V1.4 with Audiobus support now available

51 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

NanoStudio V1.4 is now available in the iOS app store, with these new features/bug fixes:

* Audiobus support for input (sampling) and output (main mix)
* Virtual MIDI inputs for note and controller data
* MIDI input transpose
* 4 extra banks for your Eden presets
* Fixed 'empty sample' bug when pasting from some Waldorf apps

I would have liked to add MIDI output and sync, but both these features would have required extensive changes to the sequencer to get the timing rock-solid and unfortunately I don't have the time to do this right now.

PLEASE NOTE : Due to various issues with the Mac App Store approval process, I'm going to remove NanoStudio for Mac OS X from the Mac App store and start distributing it via the web site again. An announcement will follow with some more details about this.

andyxr

Yay!

Nu2moro

Matt, thank you!
The effort you have put in to add audio bus functionality is very much appreciated :-)

KlaatuNinja

Awesome!! Installing now. Will have to try my Lemur template with Nanostudio, heaven!!!

Stiksi

EXTRA BANKS!!!! You just ruined my family's weekend, I'm not letting go of the iPad :D

Audiobus works as promised, well done.

pquenin

Well, these are just 4 user empty extra banks. But it means more sounds available from a project... great !
The Audiobus work is a minimal implementation : input (sampling) and output (main mix), but it's nice to be able to record your voice or your guitar via an FX app (improvox, amplitube...), so it's great too.

Thank you Matt.

syrupcore

4 extra banks for your Eden presets!! There's always an "oh, did I not mention this amazing little treat?" in every release.

Congrats and thank you Matt!

antrabbit

Thanks for your hard work, can't wait to try it out tonight.

Thomas A.

Thanks for the update.

Here is a quote from the manual (regarding Audiobus):

"There are no settings within NanoStudio that you will need to change to make it work with Audiobus. NanoStudio will detect if it is running with Audiobus and automatically route its inputs/output accordingly."

Does this mean that NS doesn't support background audio if not used within Audiobus?

mysticfm

Thanks much for the update, and especially for fixing the issue with the Waldorf apps! Just tried it with the new version, and it does indeed work fine now.

syrupcore

Matt, would you mind updating the link to the manual at the top of the FAQ thread?

KlaatuNinja

Thomas A.

"Does this mean that NS doesn't support background audio if not used within Audiobus?"

Just make sure background audio is switched on, I just used Lemur to trigger Nanostudio in the background without audiobus.

This will make my Lemur project sooo much better. The only reason I used beatmaker was because of the background audio and midi routing.

iammane

This is great, can't thank you enough Matt :)

QbAnYtO

4 extra banks? Awesome.
A friend of mine says midi out isnt working. Ill check this out when I get home.

dendy

HUGE !! MASSIVE !! BIG THANKS !!!

No i can wait without problem for a year to NS 2.0 :-)))

djazz

I posted re. This at the Audiobus thread, but def worth posting again! Many thanks! So great to have these features w NanoStudio!

And only raises anticipation of the release of NanoStudio 2! Good times!! :-)

Eighthours

@QbAnYtO There is no Midi out, only Midi in.

Blip, I think you mixed up the Audiobus bit of your update description. It should be: * Audiobus support for input (main mix) and output (sampling).

DJ MKE

Thanks so much for this awesome update! For those having problems getting MIDI into NanoStudio from apps, like BeatMaker 2 for example, just use FreEWI in the background to make a connection between the 2 apps. Simple as that! It's a workaround that does the job.

peanut_gallery

Thank you Matt! This just made my morning, day, month, and maybe even year.

Blip Interactive

> For those having problems getting MIDI into NanoStudio from apps

There shouldn't be any need for workarounds. NanoStudio supports both 'source' and 'destination' connection methods for its MIDI input. BM2's odd because they seem to publish source MIDI ports but don't send anything to them, so you're forced to use NanoStudio's destination input instead. Virtual MIDI's a mess, personally I can't be bothered. Anyway, here's some more info from the NS Manual:

Setting up virtual MIDI connections can be confusing because there is no established standard between apps. Two possible methods are available, but the method you choose will depend upon the app you are trying to connect to.

Method 1 – NanoStudio ‘pulls’ MIDI from another app’s output. To use this method, try to find the other app in NanoStudio’s input list and enable it (in this example, you can see ThumbJam listed). You may also need to go to the other app and change its settings so that it sends MIDI data to its output.

Method 2 – The other app ‘pushes’ MIDI to NanoStudio’s input. In the example, you can see that ‘NanoStudio’ is also listed as an input. This is a special input which NanoStudio creates for other apps to connect to. Enable the ‘NanoStudio’ input and then go to the app and try to find ‘NanoStudio’ in its outputs list. You may need to change the settings in the other app so that it sends MIDI data to NanoStudio’s input.

Warning: Make sure you only use one of the above methods to connect to any given app. If you use both methods then there is a chance that the other app will send ‘doubled’ MIDI notes (ie. the MIDI data will get sent twice).

Slam-Cut

THANK YOU for 1.4!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. Hopefully some of the work will help with the development of 2.0

MCOBigBen

I have mashed my caveman fingers on the screen. I have grunted. I have raised my stick and bellowed "OOOK!"

I have not figured out how to actually record anything with Audiobus.

Can someone tutorial me like I was one of your French girls?

Lee B

@mcobigben select a trg pad, hit record on the trg edit page, go back to the source app and you should have a tab to start recording.

Great update Matt. I have just been messing with magellan's arp controlling Eden and also soundprism pro controlling eden, midi in works a treat.
I thought we might have been able to have Nanostudio as an input and output in Audiobus at the same time, is that not possible?

Cheers

Lee

Blip Interactive

Ah I thought someone would ask that :) I did look at having it as an input and output together, but there were various latency compensation considerations and I decided not to go there.

Lee B

No probs Matt, I can still use Auria to record and ACP back into Nano.

Cheers

Niclas.tamas

Thank you, Matt!!!

Awesome update to an awesome app!!!

Hugs and love

QbAnYtO

U see? This is what we needed. A good update to hold us until nano2 comes out. 4 more banks? I still can't believe it! Woohoo!

tom_tm

The best just got even better!

starcorp

Well done!
Jan

Jim Hanks

Only thing you should have done different is make it in IAP - seriously.

MCOBigBen

Ha! I would have paid for it too, but paying for compatibility with another app would probably be looked at funny by the rest of the word.

$5 for the extra Eden banks on the other hand.....