NanoSync won't work

20 replies [Last post]
justicele101

Okay I am working with Windows 7 on my laptop. I do not have wifi and Nanosync doesn't work or pick up anything. I restarted my laptop and still it didn't work. Is it a must that we have wifi? Are there any other software that I can use to put samples onto Nanostudio.

syrupcore

Yes, you need wifi for nanosync. There are other ways. Check the FAQ/resources thread at the top left.

justicele101

Thank you.

tom_tm

fwiw, any crappy wi-fi box will do. You can pick them up from pawn shops for about a fiver. You don't need an actual internet connection either.

Jeppan74

@justicele101 My wifi can´t handle anything other then internet connectivity, so I use a free program called iFunbox (http://www.i-funbox.com/) that opens up my phone in a folder tree when the iPhone/iPad is connected via usb to the computer. That way i drag and drop all I want into Nanostudio (or any other app as well) Has worked like a charm since day 1!

Slam-Cut

Forgot about iFunbox. That might help me. I'll get it and give it a whirl.
Mr Blip, are there any issues with samples loaded via iFunbox, such as preserving an ideal file structure, that we should be aware of? Will .nsp files transfer just as well as with Nanosync?

Blip Interactive

The main difference is that NanoSync automatically converts all samples to 16 bit, so if you're not using it then you'll have to do this yourself first. Other than that there's no real difference.

Slam-Cut

That is a potentially very important tip. Thank you sir, very much!
I assume that for purposes of backing up (my main concern until I get NanoSync working again) that any .nsp files that I back up to my PC will already have any samples converted to 16 bit and therefore be fine to later move back to the iDevice, and that your tip really applies to any new samples I may transfer to the iDevice with iFunBox/iFileExpress, right?

syrupcore

@slam-cut right.

Slam-Cut

Just as a follow up, I have used iFunbox several times now and it seems to work quite well. I was pleased to easily remove 10 GB of photos from the iPhone to make room for more apps and samples... :o) I highly recommend iFunbox to Nanostudio musicians.
Still haven't sorted out NanoSync, but will try to again in the near future.

tom_tm

I'm having problems with Nanosync too. It seems to be picking up the wrong directory, one that *isn't* on my iPad (although I just connected to my iPad with it, twice. WTF?)

tom_tm

Now this is getting really weird. iFunbox tells me that the directory is exactly the same as the directory Nanosync can see. But the iPad sees another directory altogether. W-T-F???!!!

tom_tm

Argghhh! I'm such a fucking OAP!!! Forget my last two rants. Subfolders Tom. Subfolders. Dingbat.

Slam-Cut

I just discovered something with my situation on Windows 8. Double clicking the desktop icon doesn't work, but when I tried right-clicking and selecting Run As Administrator it worked fine. I didn't notice that option before, and I feel silly for not noticing it, but it does seem to be a weird thing that I haven't encountered before with any program, and since I have used Nanosync so many times in the past on my old computer I just assumed double-clicking was the way to go.
Is this some weird Windows 8 thingy after all?

syrupcore

Nice find! That may not be windows 8, per se, but a difference in the default security permissions for applications from your last install and your current. Haven't used windows 8 but I'm pretty sure vista and 7 had a way to set a program to 'always run as administrator'.

Blip Interactive

I have no idea why you should have to run as administrator other than maybe some tricky stuff NanoSync needs to do to get drag/drop working in Explorer, but if that fixes your problem ...

In Windows 8 (like earlier Windows) you can right click on an app/shortcut and choose Properties. From there, choose the 'Compatibility' tab and check 'Run this problem as an administrator' near the bottom.

Stiksi

"Run this problem..." Freud? ;)

Slam-Cut

Thanks Mr. Blip! That fixed the problem. Thanks for that tip!

Stiksi: obviously Mr Blip has not been getting enough sleep due to long hours working on NS2. No doubt there are many problems he's dealing with trying to make the wishlists come true, let alone dealing with knuckle-heads like me who don't know how to operate Windows 8. :o)

Blip Interactive

Problems .. programs ..

Same thing most of the time aren't they? :)

Slam-Cut

There's a quote that belongs on a T-shirt.

Stiksi

Absolutely!