Nanostudio Sound Clash of 2013 STAGE 2 voting thread

26 replies [Last post]
Stiksi

Cast your vote on this thread. Only those who participated are allowed to vote. If your Soundcloud handle differs from the one you're using on the forums, please announce i with your vote so things stay transparent.

No commentary here, please post that on the contest thread http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/3536
And by commentary I don't mean actual feedback from one contestant to another. I would just like to keep this thread for the participants until the vote is through.

Voting is open until the end of Sunday 14 April 2013 GMT or until all six votes are in, whichever comes first.

The last track to enter the second stage of the competition is Dubillion by Syrupcore and the first is Underneath the Underground by Jinxpadlock.

VOTING IS OVER, the winner is Tom TM.

Stiksi

Tracks participating in this stage:

buddemeyer72

I'm going to have to go with "Hard Burn" from MCOBigBen....

pezzerdotcom

TomTM for me - thats one massive wall of sound!

syrupcore

Listened to all of them awfully loud on my studio monitors. You guys are pretty amazing.

Syrupcore, wrong contest man. nice drum fills though. ;)

MCOBigBen, What a song! Can't believe you just whipped that out. Every thing good about my memories of Peter Gabriel came through there. Great delayed drums and love how you can completely rock the minimal and sparse moments. Just great. Love the snare build at 1:10. Bonus points for the Firefly reference (extra for "the 'verse" when posting).

Derek, What a beautiful tune. I'm _definitely_ downloading your drum samples. :) They sound just epic. Love the bells at 3:55 and the super stereo guitar at the end is just perfect.

Stiski, great song and what an incredible set of sounds. Too many to even comment on. I wish I could mix like you. Sounds incredible. Might be my favorite song of the bunch but without guitars I've gone and disqualified you. What a jerk. I'll vote for you if you send me the snare sound starting at around 5:00!

Tom, awesome vibe and bonus points for the mellotron flute (also in my unfinished folk drone track!). When the distortions and high wiggly loveliness comes in just before 3:00... fuck yes. That. The noisy takeover at the end the resolves into beautiful reverberated fade is great.

JinxPadlock, WALL OF SOUND! Awesome. Love the first half a lot. The groove and drums in the second half had me trying to get my monkey boy on. That delayed reversish organ (horns?) at the end just before the solo organ comes in is just epic.

All seriously great tracks but Tom edged out for me with the 'wall of sound + mystical folk mellotron flute + drone + noise' combo.

MCOBigBen

I'm going to throw my vote in for Tom TM as well. Really great sounds in there.

Stiksi

Syrupcore: this is just sooooo chill, sooths my nerves. It's just amazingly well composed and never gets old. Especially the disjointed guitar sound (I am totally swiping that technique) and your use of percussion is just so smooth. If it wasn't so clearly from the last stage, I would have had a really hard time deciding. Excellent work.

MCOBigBen: Love this. It's a little rough around the edges and that works in its favour, your voice is just perfect for folk. I think you took a different approach to Firefly than I'm used to, the series used a very dry overall sound in music to add a sense of enclosement and only released the space at carefully chosen points so I think you're looking at it from a bit further away. That's not a bad thing at all, there's no sense in copying. The lyrics work great.

Buddemeyer72: I love how the track says "Nanostudio" right from the start (that harp patch). I think there's a really professional feel to it and it flows along nicely. There are some sounds I'm really jealous for like the flutey lead that comes in and out.

Stiksi: Syrupcore, that's Snappy snare 7 from the Boy In a Band Snappy Snares set. Free download. And there's both a guitar AND a sitar in the track... grumble grumble...

Tom: What I love most about this track is the structure. It starts almost absurdly small and just builds like crazy. If there's one track in this compo that imparts the essence of the genre of the stage it's this one. Space, yes and beautifully mixed ; Folk, absolutely, the sound is spot on and more than that, it feels right ; Drone, lots and they sound great ; Wall of sound, yes, YES. Plus I had the melody stuck in my head for a long time and just love the feel of the piece.

Jinxpadlog / Pezzer: Wall of sound indeed! It's like a neverending tsunami of sound! The drums are amazing of course, it's your forte. At around 5 mins I started expecting chord changes and a middle-eastern singer to come in but that didn't actually happen, I was drawing a parallel with bombay dub orchestra. I kind of think it would have benefited from a mood shift around that time but it's just massive the way it is. Really love this.

My vote goes to Tom as well. His track just epitomises the genre. Had a really tough time deciding, though..

trupro

Hmmm...everyone's songs seem to be titled 'Connection Interrupted'.

Can you repost non-embedded links so i can go check em out?

thanx

Stiksi

Ok, Tom's vote is the last one. Just waiting for that to announce the mystery winner.

tom_tm

Oh shit. What now?? :-/

Syrupcore wins hands down for me on the dub contest, but because he was a month late, I'll have to detract my vote (sorry Mr Syrup). Therefore I vote for doucetephemere because the lyric just cracks me up every time I listen to it. But then I can't vote anyway, cos I didn't enter. (Oh shit again!)

I vote for Jinxpadlock. Great track. Really interesting production. Special mention to Passive J too. Shame you didn't enter that track. I really liked that.

But to be honest, there are no winners really cos all the tracks had really great characteristics of their own. I would have liked to have heard more frazzled psychedelic overload though! :D

Stiksi

MCOBigBen: 1
Tom TM: 4
Jinxpadlock / Pezzer: 1

The winner of the second stage is the inimitable Tom TM! Congratulations!

tom_tm

Wicked! I'm well chuffed. :D

Better get my Nanostudio/ios LP finished now.

syrupcore

Go Tom!

MCOBigBen

Yeah, congrats. That was fun. I really like the mini review per song idea. Wish I hadn't been so slackin'

alphacat

Late to the party. :(

Finished it, thought the deadline was tomorrow. Ah well...

Will wait til voting and all is done to share it here.

So.Bummed.

Stiksi

It's done, share please :)

syrupcore

Or wait another week and see if you can get mistakenly included in the next contest!

alphacat

Heh...

You sure? I always thought it was kind of tacky to show midway through final deliberations. Besides, I kinda want Tom_TM to win and kickstart a new album from him. ;)

It's already up on my SC fwiw.

syrupcore

Voting is over. Tom_tm won it.

tom_tm

Alphacat, please put me out of my misery, and tell me the address/name of you SC page. :)

Lee B

Congrats Tom.

Cheers

Lee

tom_tm

Cheers Lee. :)

alphacat, I've figured it out. Personally I blame years of THC, MDMA and LSD abuse!! Haha!

syrupcore

those all sound like bad acronyms from audio gear marketing.

Total Harmonic Content
Minimum Density Mix Auto-dynamics
Listening Sensitivity Distance

Also sounds a lot like my 20s. From what I recall.

tom_tm

Haha. I'm not actually that much of a space cadet, but I do still like the occasional spliff now and then! ;)

alphacat

I like the occasional spliff every hour or two... ;)

Here's the track: https://soundcloud.com/viridis_vir/sarcolith-drunk-moth-blues

tom_tm

It's lovely. My only criticism is that it doesn't go on for 10 mins or so.

alphacat

^ Thanks man.

Yeah, this was totally last minute/ad hoc/pulled from my ass, but... it was useful in that I got to know Mixtikl a little better (the background heavy drone came from it.) I'm beginning to see some interesting possibilities.