main reason there isnt audio tracks?...

29 replies [Last post]
QbAnYtO

Hey Matt ( or anyone who might know for sure) what about audio tracks? Would that be hard to implement to the engine now? I can do without audio bus. Personally I prefer c/p but man, It would be great to record into nano after resampling a beat. I'm still learning how to use the note slicing. I tried casting some new multisampled wav files into 48 notes and try to slice them, but I can't ALL the notes to play correctly. Some play mid way, some play late and some play perfect. Depending on the octave I'm pressing.

But anyways, yea audio tracks would be awesome.

I tried recordin a verse into a trg pad as a (ghetto) work around. while it was fun, obviously this workflow sucks ;p

So I guess my question is, are audio tracks possible with the current engine with applicable effects?

QbAnYtO

also background audio. i wonder if its hard to implement this into nano... if its a line of code or a whole complicated cluster of code to enable this. hmm...

Blip Interactive

It's a few lines of code and then dealing with issues about other apps changing the buffer sizes on the fly, arbitrating control of MIDI devices and audio input devices etc, testing various combinatorial issues. Right now I haven't got time to go there. It's not because I'm lazy.

QbAnYtO

Oh I see. Thanks for the info. I was just curious.

Marcotm

Th trick would be to make a sample with the option to restart the recording ( or make a keyframe ) every 10th of a second. In that way you would record for 5 minutes and the end result would be a file containing hundreds of sequentially triggers wich means when editing the track you could just drop in the mix and the sample would stat from that Triggerpoint.

Your sample would be like trigger H, trigger E trigger L trigger L trigger O.
So when you put the playhead at H and play you get hello, but when you put the playhead further at the L you will hear LLO, in that way you would not get the problem of not being able to hear your voice track when you play back from the middle of your. track
So the only thing that has to be rewritten is the way the sample records and your done.

Actually tabletop does something like that i believe. When you record there over several blocks every block contains that part of the sample. You can sing in and later by moving those blocks in the triggerator change the sequence of the lines you were singing.

For instance. You make 3 blocks in the triggerator, then you sing, ", how are you " in one take
And then when youre finnisched its atomatically divided on those 3 blocks, so block 1 is how, the second is are and the third is you. You can now copy and paste block 3 several times and it wil not only play back the instriments 3 times but als the you part so you will hear hello, how are you you you you.

I dont think that would be very hard to do in nanostudio, maybe our programmer didnt think of it yet:)

It would change the daw industry forever on ios:) tabletop can do it already, but hasnt got the best synths or the best note editor. Nanostudio would be better tnat cubase...

Oh and im not implying that blip is lazy, i am actualy very gracious for what he has created:)

instinctive

Marcotm: I actually have a template for that, I think I even posted it here on the forums a few years ago. Pretty much gives you Audio tracks + Time stretch in NS, although the quality is only suitable for electronic music.

There's no need to program anything for that, as NS had all necessary features from the start (Controller to Sample Start)...

Liberalquilt

I've been wishing NS had audio tracks for, well YEARS, but in the meantime copy/paste and recording onto TRG pads, has been an ok workaround that I'm pretty adept at now (NS' s nifty sample editor really helps, and the nerd in me quite likes the fiddling around anyway) I've nearly finished recording a new guitar song,using 6 guitar samples and 3 vocal samples - the result is indistinguishable from a multitrack. NS makes seamless looping very easy. I'll post it when I finish it.

QbAnYtO

@Instinctive

Can u direct me to your template?

syrupcore

Just to kind of steal everyone else's thoughts here and smash them up... Random access on playback is really all that is needed to make recorded audio easy to work with in NS. I say 'all' not to diminish the work involved to make it happen but to suggest that playing back long samples from TRG pads as 'audio tracks' works just fine. Well even. Recording is easy and obvious. The pain is if it's longer than a few measures and you're trying to work on a particular section of a song that does't contain the note start event ... silence.

I don't think the track needs waveform displays or the app even needs 'audio tracks' per se; random access playback and a little how-to is all NS1 is missing to make working with long form audio awesome. We already have automation, sample editing, bussing, inserts effects and sends. The Beatles didn't see a stupid waveform!

dendy

syrupcore: it depends on how you use audio tracks... i usually sample short sequences and loops and then cut them in audio track, rearrange them ... so for me to see waveform of track is crucial...

syrupcore

@dendy yes, absolutely. There are a lot ways to use audio tracks and I do a lot of that myself in certain daws. I was mainly talking about the "I want to record guitar and sing on my tracks" MCObigben use case. Same would work for recording long audiobus tracks. Editing would still require editing/splitting the sample but for the tape machine style recording, I still reckon random access is the only thing missing.

tom_tm

I know it's the wrong thread, but before audio tracks get added, something must be done about the current awful clunky state of adding automation. I'd love to see a more elegant way to do it like with a line and points, rather than this irritating level thing that doesn't even correspond to the level values on the mixing desk....grrrrr!! Rant over!

Stiksi

Tom, I've ranted about that a LOT a year or two ago, welcome to the club. Those 0-1 values drive me crazy. I keep forgetting if 0dB is 0,81 or 0,87 or whatever random seeming number.

The Beatles didn't have a waveform display but who can say they didn't see the music in some form or another… Now we can just look at a display instead of drinking peyote.

syrupcore

I'd much prefer peyote and Abby road.

Would love to see meaningful data values everywhere in NS2. In all controls including effect settings like delay time and compressor attack.

tom_tm

Totally with you Stiksi. Matt, it just sucks. You really should sort this out!!

tom_tm

+1 again for meaningful data!

QbAnYtO

waveforms are still essential, especially nowadays... just saying :p

instinctive

Yeah, I'm also for Cutoff in kHz, Attack in ms, TRG Sample Gain in dB, etc., and translating the controller values for display...

And while you're adding previews to the Audio Tracks: I'm all for spectrograms... much more meaningful, and considering today's CPUs... NO, JUST KIDDING :-)

(I seriously wonder though why no Desktop DAW has considered that...)

Stiksi

Cooledit pro (not a full DAW to be fair, just a multitrcker) had spectrogram displays in the nineties.

instinctive

@Stiksi: Hehe. Yeah, I know Cool Edit Pro and it was and still is the final piece of software where I cut and fadein/out my masters :) Great software at a ridiculously low price... much like Xara Designer Pro and NanoStudio ;-)

However, I never used the Spectrogram display because it crashed all the time :)

QbAnYtO

I used to used Sony acid pro... (Runs to the corner and hides)

tom_tm

Nowt wrong with that! Some mad music was made with Acid back in the early days (in both senses of the word! ;) )

QbAnYtO

lmao

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

To the topic...(of course just my personal reason) That NanoStudio lacks Audiotracks and Background Audio is THE main reason now i doesn't use it anymore. But that is just my workflow. I hope NS2 will give me all that and i can come back because NS (...and ThumbJam) was the main reason to start producing music and stay with ios & iPhone as my only tools for that! Of course Audiobus (or Jack) would be a killer feature too. I often search (and buy) my music apps now buy looking what new apps are showing up in the audiobus list!
Indeed i hope that NS2 or whatever will support still the iPhone as much as the ipad in the future (like yet;) because apps like Sunrizer, Animoog, Addictive Synth are much better on ipad. Some are just available for ipad...but sadly it seems i'm a niche in a niche...creating music 100% mobile and that just on the little iPhone. I would like to have the more advanced versions on iPhone too...come on i play all parts live on the phone...what the hell... :D
O.k. everybody...see us on NS2 in the future i hope!
Cheers and Happy Easter!

strizbiz

if you dont have time hire someone who does

Craigh

+1 for random access on the triggered samples. I'd out that as my number 1 feature for Nanostudio . A close second would be virtual midi

jbw

@BlipInteractive

Too bad adding audio tracks is so complicated. If Nanostudio let you copy and paste audio tracks into it from other apps it would be light years ahead of other DAW type apps. Is that incentive enough?

:)

Okay yes, I realize if it were so easy it would have been done by now. Thing is when apps like Garageband and Music Studio let you import audio you're probably never going to hear the end of it until you add it. Still not enough incentive?

:D

That's cool, Nanostudio still rocks, even without audio tracks.

jbw

Upon further consideration, the "TRG as looper" workaround does just fine. The key is making sure the audio you're pasting into one of the 16 sample pads is neatly trimmed. For apps that don't neatly trim audio, the app Audioshare becomes indespensible.

The bonus to this method is the ease with which you can make variations of samples from pad to pad; NanoStudio does this splendidly, allowing you to make variations of samples very easily, so the end result would be:

Pad 1 = Song section 1
Pad 2 = Variation of song section 1 (or song section 2)
Etc.

It may not be your straight forward DAW with viewable waveforms and all, but you can do some things for sure.

syrupcore

@jbw indeed, it works a treat. Only problem is if you want to paste in a 16 or 32+ measure sample, you need to restart the song before the pad's note-on event in order to hear the sample. Seeing the waveform is handy for editing but for creating additional tracks and mixing and the like we just need to hope that if NS2 doesn't have actual audiotracks it will allow us to start playback in the middle of a sample (faking the note-on event and offsetting the sample start by the distance in between the actual note-on event and the playback head).

jbw

Nanostudio is in essence a tracker, and that's not such a bad thing in my opinion. Though I must concur that having the convenience afforded by waveforms would be a plus, for both editing and that quick paste job.

As noted though, Nanostudio still rocks. Easily my favorite studio type app for iPod Touch.