Nanostudio Sound Clash of 2013 STAGE 1 voting thread ONLY VOTES HERE

14 replies [Last post]
Stiksi

Cast your vote on this thread. Only those who participated are allowed to vote. No commentary here, please post that on the contest thread http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/3536

Voting is open until the end of Sunday 10.3.2013 GMT or until all four votes are in, whichever comes first.

Edit: and by commentary I don't mean actual feedback from one contestant to another. I would just like to keep this thread for the participants.

Stiksi

Ok, here goes, but first my impressions of all tracks (great way to get more votes…):

Doucetephemere – 'Twas the night before Christmas (Reggae version): I thought the dub had a very authentic feel and it was subtle in ways that I enjoyed. However, I kind of felt it was more of a dub audio book than an actual dub track. The story was excellent of course and next christmas this is on my playlist!

Alphacat (Viridis Vir) – BLACK TRIANGLE PROJECT - City Jitters Dub (Crispy Fried Digital mix): I think this is seriously minimalistic for a dub track and well... it really works. Bold changes (even to the point of dropping all sound that's audible on a poor sound system) keep the momentum going and the track is short enough to not outstay its welcome. I was nodding my head the whole way through. If I have to find something to criticise, it would be the organ sound playing two chords in the second half. It could have done with a little more variation and maybe some more interesting chords. I could really hear this played in a club with an angry dancehall mc rocking to the beat. You'd find me on the dancefloor.

Jeppan74 (Jesper Jones) - Rubadubdub: Excellent bass sound and those percussions are just incredibly well done. I did feel like the bassline could have had a little more variation. This track has a great feel but I think it might still benefit from a simple hook, something to really drive the momentum. I know that's not really a dub requirement… I do think this track has the most herby feel to it. My mental image of its making has a lot of smoke and indoor sunglasses. Have to love that ;)

My vote goes to Alphacat (Viridis Vir) – BLACK TRIANGLE PROJECT - City Jitters Dub (Crispy Fried Digital mix)

Doucetephemere

BLACK TRIANGLE PROJECT - City Jitters Dub (Crispy Fried Digital mix) by Viridis Vir
Massiv bass, I love the lean but still intelligent concept of this tune, great breaks and fills.

Have Mercy by SCEngine
Lovely melody and very nice dub sounds around that. Great structured and arranged, lovely journey.

Rubadubdub by Jesper Jones
Delicious basslines, excellent beat and additional perc, and the extra vintage with the vinyl - awsome.

Puh, hard to vote, before Jesper made me enter the contest Iwas sure giving him my voice as I knew his tune and loved it, but after listening at the other contestants...I really do also love the convincing track by Viridis Vir, get's closest to my image of how Dub should sound, but I am most impressed by the elaborated and perfectly arranged song from Helsinki! So:

My vote goes to Stiksi and his tune Have Mercy by SCEngine

Jeppan74

BLACK TRIANGLE PROJECT - City Jitters Dub (Crispy Fried Digital mix) by Viridis Vir:
Fantastic drums. Totally fierce loop that I would have give my right arm to have made myself :) Nice glitching-break in the middle! Straight proper dub with no compromises! Propsei!!!

Have Mercy by SCEngine:
Sweet, sweet tune that grows so much to a fantastic crescendo at the end. Lovely groove that skanks along nicely. Clear and crisp production with sweet, sweet melodies! Propsei!!!

Doucetephemere – 'Twas the night before Christmas (Reggae version):
Here I might be a bit biased, since I´ve listened to it so much, but I LOVE this tune! Skanking, dirty, grimy, merky Dub, with no end in sight. Just goes on and on and on. And with a brilliant toaster telling us a story in the way it was supposed to be told. And some well put sound effects never makes it boring... Propsei!!!

You might already haved guessed, but my vote goes to Doucetephemere – 'Twas the night before Christmas (Reggae version) :)

@stiksi: "My mental image of its making has a lot of smoke and indoor sunglasses." - I wish! More like "Get to bed now, so daddy can finish his song!" :)
By the way guys: we should compile this to a Nanostudio Dub-Compilation!

alphacat

Oh my... You guys are really awesome - wonderful, intelligent feedback that I daresay I've never seen on a forum before!

doucetephemere - 'Twas the night before Christmas (Reggae version)

Gets my vote for the most original take on the theme: the vocal track is really what sets this one apart, but the overall production is also excellent: the riddim really compliments the vocals & vice versa. Filing this away to listen to next xmas on a car trip with the kids. Also - I think you should submit this to some reggae stations like DubXtra... they'd surely play it. Is that you droppin' patois, btw? If only it wasn't a seasonal track - I'd listen to it all year round!

SCengine - Have Mercy

Beautiful opening, great sounds, and a truly fantastic mix that makes mine sound like steel wool. Did you mix this on NS? Also... some serious musicality going on. Structurally solid, and lots of restraint in all the right places: the 2nd ½ showcases this particularly well. I could see you doing film/tv scores TBH. I could see some folks being put off by how laid back & clean everything is (along same general lines as Ishq but with a feel all its own), but those people also probably listen to only one or two styles of music too, so forget about 'em. Love the horns at the end.

Jesper Jones - Rubabdubdub

VIBES! Nailed the dub vibe from the word go; this song would also fit effortlessly into a playlist like Buschfunk's or Ninja Tune's Solid Steel - roots mentality with modern sensibilities and a lot of warmth and character. I like that the song also takes its time to go where it needs to: relaxed and meandering but not lost. I would like to see a little more exploration of space; I think that it's sound structurally but a bit more dynamic exploration could be fun both for you and the listener. You clearly have a firm grasp of the aesthetic though.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is really tough - literally split 3 ways. After a cup of coffee and a third listen to each, gonna go with SCengine based mainly on the beautiful minimal balance in the 2nd half of the tune.

I would gladly collaborate any time with any of you guys though, that's for sure!

Stiksi

Ok, so Alphacat 1, Stiksi 2, Doucetephemere 1...

A-w-k-w-a-r-d...

Stiksi is the winner and also should probably not have used the 3rd person right now!

Thank you guys, I'm more than a little flattered. I think this could have easily gone any other way, all the tracks were so different and unique. I also found myself agreeing with everything you said about each others' tracks. Propsei indeed!

Ohandthankyougodandmomandpappyandmywife

syrupcore

Congrats @stiski

I still haven't listened but the feedback is so good in this thread I feel like I've heard them all.

tom_tm

Well done stiksi. :)

Jeppan74

Congrats Stiksi!!! You mos def deserved the win!
One thing I forgot to say was that you could even have continued the track when the horns came in. It was so beautiful I almost cried :)
Hope your loved ones are as proud of you as we at the forum are :)
And thanx all of you! Especially for your nice feedback! We could collect them and send them to some radio stations.
It was fun and inspiring even without wearing sunglasses indoor :) (And the only drug used making this tune Stiksi, was snus :D)
Big up, me brederen! I an I is feelin do riddims! Haile Selassie is the King of Kings and the Lion of Judah!

tom_tm

Snus? 'General' I hope? I have mine smuggled in from Sweden via a friend. :-/

Ptero

Can a brotha get a link to the Stiksi's winning track? This was a really neat contest. Any plans for a new one soon?

tom_tm
Stiksi

@ Ptero: Stage 2 will start on Monday. It's going to blow this first stage's socks off like a bat out of hell freezing over.

@ Jeppan: I was actually trying to add some small last-minute horns a bit earlier in the track but for some reason I only have an old version of the track in NS, so that didn't happen. I'm relying too much on the auto-save feature.

And thanks again, you guys are just too kind :) I appreciate this community and its support very much. If I'm honest, I probably wouldn't make the time to compose stuff if this forum didn't exist. It's just absolutely inspiring to be able to see slices of other people's musical thought processes. And let's face it, it's a funny forum with a bunch of dads on it who use their bathroom breaks to "make music" as we like to call it. What could be better?

Jeppan74

@tom_tm: WTF!!! You´re right on the spot there. General is my snus of choice :) I was shocked, cause I thought Stiksi would be the only one knowing what snus was :D

Stiksi

I find it ironic that someone from the American continent has to smuggle a tobacco product from Scandinavia. Globalisation is odd. It's illegal to sell in Finland too. I'm still waiting for the children's book about snus/nuuska smugglers.