The Contest Thread

175 replies [Last post]
alphacat

Alright, time to fold this sucker over into a brand new, dedicated thread. No off-topic stuff (like Audiobus) please. ;)

This thread will discuss proposed Nanostudio contests, rules, structure, judging/voting, all that.

Currently - that I know of - there are 2 proposed contests awaiting implementation:

NANOSTUDIO DUB CLASH
http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/3470?page=3

Am I missing any?

FORMATS:

Next on the table: proposed formats. We've had a few requests, some of them contradictory, so we'll want to arrive at some kind of consensus that's inclusive but challenging. I've done a bunch of these before over on the Dubstepforum, but someone always manages to find something to get butt-hurt about.

~ Voting is ideal except when people cheat to win or treat it like a personality popularity contest instead of music;

~ judging panels are OK but the judges should be fairly well respected and capable of being unbiased toward style, etc.;

~ Playoff structures (2 songs enter at a time, one wins by vote or something, then the winners all go up against each other until only one's left) are good for keeping things going for a while and where there are a lot of submissions (more than a dozen tunes.)

~ No competition at all - the friendliest option in terms of people getting hurt feelings, but doesn't always motivate people either

RULES:

Most people seemed to agree that NS + iOS apps was an acceptable limitation (FWIW I think it'd be more challenging if it were NS-only, but that's just me.) Do we start with samplepacks, synthesis-only, or just go hog wild? How about time limits? If 12 songs are submitted and they're all 12 minute epics, it's going to be a lot harder to be able to listen to and objectively judge them.

I'd also be interested in having people share the finished .NSP files so we could all learn from them but understand that some might not be so into that.

Sound off!

syrupcore

Well done!

All for sharing the NSP but hopefully that's optional. I'll volunteer to host them.

How would voting even work? Soundcloud likes? People just say what they like most here? Survey Monkey afterwards? Maybe Matt could share his code from that Heroku app? I could probably sort out getting live again - no promises though.

I would personally prefer Eden only (+ one-shot drum samples) for the dub clash but I think the general consensus in the past has been that sampling is an integral part of NS and preventing it is silly. I don't disagree. That constraint would make the folk rock wall of sound challenge border on impossible. I like Soundcloud upload from NS as a requirement.

MCOBigBen

Brilliant. Thanks for stepping up to manage/admin, that's pretty huge right there.

I think the playoff structure sounds neat, but I'm super mellow, and am game for everything.

I'm totally down for NSP sharing. As for limitations, I'd only request that we allow mic recorded instruments, since it was Matt adding stereo sample record that first made me think of space folk wall of sound, because stero acoustic guitars are just so damned pretty

tom_tm

Oh shit. It's all getting rather serious! O_O

Stiksi

Oh yeah, now we're talking! (on the right thread that is)

Syrupcore said: "…sampling is an integral part of NS and preventing it is silly." Which I'm happy to quote out of context to my advantage because I agree 100% with it. I'm ok with NS only contests but I really just want to hear great music and software restrictions will inevitably cut that down. It's also my opinion that if someone wants to make the tracks in NS only, they should receive mad props or whatever the kids on my lawn say – probably some debilitating illness of the day.

I don't like playoffs because it only reveals the absolute winner, not anyone who came close because they might be the first ones out. I also don't like playoffs where everyone battles everyone because they take forever. So, I'm for the voting system, and I'm also suggesting you only get a vote if you submit a track and you can't vote yourself. One track per person per style, one vote per person per style. There aren't going to be too many tracks because there are no prizes and it keeps the climate friendly. I hope.

MCOBigBen

What? I'm not going to get rich participating in this contest? *flips table over*

Stiksi

Well, there goes the climate.

Blip Interactive

Do Finnish kids really say 'mad props'?

Stiksi

I'm not sure but they have said "vitun pähee". Nobody knows what that is. If I by accident say something current, it will by default immediately and retroactively become uncool. So I try to avoid using too current phrases because it takes time and effort for an expression to go viral.

Edit: Oh, they have used the term "propsei". It's the same thing.

alphacat

Suomi Detournement... ;)

So: Sampling is a go; Playoffs make some people uneasy; voting is contentious -

Judge panel? Or, all participants each get one vote and cannot vote for their own track? If this is the case, someone else'll need to mod this since I planned on participating.

tom_tm

I vote that you can never 'judge' music, as it is very personal to whoever has made it. "One man's music is another man's noise" as the saying goes...

syrupcore

We need some sort of deadline or I'll never do it.

Stiksi

Yes, deadlines are a friend, so I propose a vote. VOTE DEADLINE 26.1. Which should be this saturday.

1. Genre

A: Folk Drone wall of sound
B: Dub proper (and no that's not pronounced "wobble")
C: Both, judged separately
D: Both, combined score (I have no idea how that would work...)

2. Judging

A: Playoffs
B: Closed voting (only participants)
C: Open voting (anyone and their pet rabbit)
D: Judges (suggestions, please)
E: No judging, just appreciation (and possibly a lively flamewar?)

3. Deadline
A: 1 month per stage
B: 2 months per stage
C: other suggestion

4: Limitations on resources
A: None
B: Upload from Nanostudio
C: Only iOS apps, except for drum samples, which are free to use
D: Nanostudio only

5. Any other limitations?
NO
YES (what?)

Stiksi

My votes:
1: C Both, judged separately
2: B Closed voting (only participants)
3: B 2 months per stage
4: B Upload from Nanostudio
5: no limits

syrupcore

Thanks for doing this stiski.

My votes
A: Folk Drone wall of sound (first)
E: No voting but otherwise, B: Closed voting (only participants)
A: 1 month per stage
No other limits

or doing both at the same time and setting a 2 month deadline for both/either.

Stiksi

Oops, sorry, I'll add the "E" option.

Kort Snor

What is "folk drone wall of sound" ?

alphacat

Yes, thanks very much for boiling it down to a real decision matrix! :)

1. B
2. B
3. A
4. C
5. Yes: winner should share NSP file with all other participants, or at least be willing to teach us how certain sounds were achieved.

Stiksi

@ alphacat: Hehe, sneaky devil, even if you don't win, you win :D

I don't know what Folk Drone Wall of sound is either but it sounds like fun. I'm sure Syrupcore and Tom can post some links for reference.

Oh, and just so nobody complains when this becomes apparent: The fact that I just found out after two years of owning Ableton Live that it comes with an extensive drum sound library, has absolutely nothing to do with the loophole in option 4C "Only iOS apps, except for drum samples, which are free to use". Just so you know...

MCOBigBen

1. Genre
C: Both, judged separately

2. Judging
D: Judges (suggestions, please) Matt, with the winners featured on NanoStudio.com as a "look what people are doing with NanoStudio!"

3. Deadline
A: 1 month per stage (just please don't make something due during Feb/RPM Challenge month)

NO

syrupcore

I dont think anyone knows what a 'folk drone wall of sound' is, but that's the point! Started as a kind of a joke if I recall.

@ben, I'm thinking of doing the RPM challenge this year too and had kind of imagined this would just be a part of the output.

MCOBigBen

Yes, it was just a joke regarding what we could do now that we can record stereo samples. I liked the idea of being able to stack stereo acoustic guitars.

I'm fine folding it into RPM (awesome you're thinking of joining!). I generally hold my RPM stuff out as being "unfinished/unpolished" work, since I end up shipping with plenty of bugs

syrupcore

I've never shipped a song without bugs! PJ Harvey once said 'Songs are never finished, they're abandoned'. No offense @stiski.

Stiksi

What? No, I'm Finnish, it doesn't mean I actually finish anything.

tom_tm

'folk drone wall of sound'?

Here's a good place to start. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbQ1v-nCFjA

syrupcore

Fact: If you wait long enough, sometimes years, on any forum, someone will link to popol vul. And god bless them.

tom_tm

:D

tom_tm

1. Genre D: Both, combined score (I have no idea how that would work... No I really don't, but I will try....)
2. Judging E: No judging, just appreciation (and possibly a lively flamewar?)
3. Deadline

C: other suggestion (Do you people realise just how long it takes me to finish anything??!)
 D: Nanostudio only (But samples may be sourced from elsewhere if necessary)
HeT (Russian for "No". Not that I'm Russian, I just say HeT a lot).

Stiksi

@ Tom: "4: Limitations on resources
 D: Nanostudio only (But samples may be sourced from elsewhere if necessary)"

But wouldn't that actually be B: Upload from Nanostudio? If you're free to source samples, you can source them from Magellan, Worlds Fartest Dubstep Vol. 55 disc or wherever. You can't import anything other than samples so that's no restriction at all. Or am I missing irony here..?

tom_tm

Okay, now you've put it that way, I get you. Yep 4:B although I do use other iOS apps too- like Funkbox and Figure.

Stiksi

AND THE COMPETITION WINNERS ARE... dum dum dum... (the rules winners that is)

1. GENRE: C. Both, judged separately

2. JUDGING: Tie between B. Closed voting and E. No judging. By decision of MCOBigBen, who held the swing vote, B. Closed voting is the winner

3. DEADLINE: A. 1 month per stage

4. LIMITATIONS: Clear win for B. Upload from Nanostudio

5. OTHER LIMITATIONS: No.

Edit: Here's a link to the vote calculations if you wish to check that I counted the right votes for you http://www.samulisiirala.com/NScompVotes2013.xls