Windows 8?

11 replies [Last post]
StatikDub

So I'm an amateur music producer and love nanostudio. I'm only 13 so the fact that it's free on computers is awesome. Anyway, I just got a windows 8 computer and went to download nanostudio, to find that it isn't available for windows 8. I'm really familiar with nanostudio so I don't want to change. Basically, is nanostudio going to be available for windows 8 anytime soon?

Jim Hanks

Just try the Windows version anyway. It works on 7 so there's a very good chance it will just work on 8 too.

StatikDub

Duh. Well thanks.

kitejan

I have a Windows 8 test virtual machine at work - will try Nanostudio on that to see what happens, but from software we tested it looks like a lot of stuff works straight away (16 bit Microsoft Access 2 anyone? Kid you not....). But you never know.....

This is just a straight Windows 8 PC/laptop? Not a tablet or MS surface?

kitejan

Good news/bad news: tested and while it installed OK Nanostudio complained about needed Microsoft .Net 3.5 - which wont install on Windows 8, partly (I think) because a later version is built in. It also loads and runs.... in a fashion. Screen updates are VERY slow - to the point of not being usable. Now this could be because its a virtual Windows 8 machine (running on Oracle VirtualBox) and I didnt get the right combination of host and guest drivers and options.... but I dont think so - at least I cant see what else to tick/enable/install. I seem to recall a thread where Blip mentions that Windows 8 changes some stuff that Nanostudio uses and performance will suffer, but I cant find it.

Perhaps installing on a "real" computer will give a better indication, but I havent got the time at the moment to do so at work (and no way am I going Windows 8 at home until I have to and/or they put the start button back where it belongs on the bottom left of the task bar :-) ).

Maybe someone else can give a better indication?

Jan

Blip Interactive

Try this:

http://downloads.blipinteractive2.co.uk/NanoStudio-1.34-Setup.exe

It's built using Windows 8 tools so there's a good chance it shouldn't complain about needing an older .NET version. Additionally, it's still built for XP compatibility so it should still work on XP systems too.

My feeling is that it may still run slow under VirtualBox because there's a chance it'll be using a software implementation of OpenGL. I seem to have a distant memory that I did have this version running in a virtual machine at one point and it was OK, but that could have been when using my new DirectX renderer. I was going to release 1.34 using DirectX by default, but I currently only have a DX11 implementation which isn't compatible with XP and I didn't fancy writing a DX9 renderer too. XP's slowly becoming a bit of a pain to support but unfortunately I can't see it going away for quite a while yet.

kitejan

Hi,

Thanks will give this a go for testing purposes, but maybe the OP can give this a go and let us know?

Incidentally personally I would be more interested in a Linux version - I could (possibly/maybe) see me moving our main PC to Ubuntu when the time comes to upgrade. Any possibility, or is that a level of pain you wouldn't want to expose yourself to?

Jan

Blip Interactive

I have exposed myself to some Ubuntu pain, but since it worked under Wine I decided to leave it!

samuraipizzacat29

i figured i'd post to this thread rather than start a new one. i would like to install nano studio on my windows 8 machine as well to compliment my iphone and ipad installations. i get the .net framework 3.5 error as well while trying to install. as already stated, i can't install the old version of the .net framework because windows doesn't like it.

workaround / fix?

if it is worth noting, its an out of the box surface pro.

thanks,
nate

xvir

Framework 3.5 win8 installation

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /ALL /Source:E:\sources\sxs /limitaccess

on 62% progress stop for a while but installation will successfully finished
E: change for drive letter u have installation disc

samuraipizzacat29

update: this is the only .net framework fix that worked for me.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_updat...
^i know it worked because i have another program giving me the same .net framework error and now it runs and functions.

nano studio still doesn't open for me at all. i got an ownership error "failed to createprocess code 740". i uninstalled and ran again, running installer as administrator. no error, but nano studio does not open by shortcut or when right-clicking and running as administrator. Compatibility modes do not seem to help as well. I would really like to get this working on all of my devices since it's the only thing that's cross-platform.

thanks,
nate

samuraipizzacat29

woot! nano studio works on windows 8.1! very happy :)