Can't play pad sounds on actual pads using MPK49

3 replies [Last post]
neeboy

Brace yourselves, this is a total noob question:

I just got a used MPK49 controller. I've successfully used Nanostudio on Win-7 before using a different keyboard before getting that controller, so I know I'm doing something right.

I cannot get the pads to play drum sounds....I can only get:
1) drum sounds from playing piano keys
2) keyboard sounds using the pads

I'm sure there's a setting or two that's goofed up...the controller seems in perfect working condition.

wtf...I'm seriously messed up here!

This is still all fairly new to me, so does anyone have any short, helpful advice? I've tried reading the MPK49 manual, but again, too much info too soon, sorta... Thanks!

PeBeKafeen27

Hi

I had great success with Windows 7 using the Nanostudio (latest version). I also use it on the Windows XP. I know you have The MPK 49 and that is a dope piece. But you may find more success with the Akai MPK Mini. The only draw back with it as a trigger on a PC is that (I personally) was only able to use 4 of the 8 pads on the controller device. and did not find out how to get the other four pads to control more of the beat construction. I downloaded a few extra things for the MPK Mini. Nanostudio recognized the device controller and was ready for MIDI and more. It gave me way more navigation and manipulation than the using the primary kiosk on my laptop. I was gazing at the Akai MPK 49 (as well as the interface version for the iPad and the iMPC App for iPad http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2011-akai-synthstation49-ipad-m...). In an effort to help check out this article it may lead you to the info you need http://www.musicradar.com/gear/tech/computers-software/peripherals/input...

In conclusion, I know this was not brief or even lack some pointers but check out the links (it's not spam or a virus)...see what you learn through the online magazine.

Peace!

no_tallent_wanker

I have sucessfully used a Korg PanoPad 1, a Korg PanoPad 2, and an an Akai MPK mini with NanoStudio.

The first thing you need to understand how NanoStudio handles MIDI channels.

MIDI Channels

If you look at NanoStudio's interface in SONG mode, you'll see a number of tracks. Not counting the Mixer, you'll see Edan 1, Edan 2, Edan 3 etc..

Edan 1 receives MIDI on channel 1, Edan 2 receives MIDI on channel 2, Edan 3 receives MIDI on channel 3 etc..

Whatever track a set of Pads is on, it will receive MIDI on that particular channel.

The next thing you need to understand how the NanoStudio Pads handles MIDI note numbers.

MIDI Note Numbers Assigned to the Pads

The pad set consists of 4 rows of 4 pads which receive the following MIDI note numbers:

C4 - C#4 - D4 - D#4

G#3 - A3 - A#3 - B

E3 - F3 - F#3 - G3

C3 - C#3 - D3 - D#3

For most of these controllers, you'll need the editor software for the hardware controller your using to assign the correct MIDI channels and note numbers for it's pads.

PeBeKafeen27

Respects

Great advice on the use of the Akai MPK 49 Mini.
I used that for the first time and everything you are saying was right on. I to found some minor limitations from the MPK but also saw how much my work flow was better without really using the kiosk.
Now I have a Novation Launchkey Mini 25 keys...I thought the auto map and all the cool driver software for V Station and Bass Station were gonna put me in a bigger workflow field, but I have not been able to make use of all of its functions. The Nano studio as it worked on the MPK is giving the Launchkey the same access. I am able to use 4 of the pads when in the beat making mode and all the keys and pads when i am in synth mode. What I am trying to see now is if Ableton Live 9 Lite is going to give all the bells and whistle action for the project I am working on.
When I was on the nano studio site it was suggesting the Novation as one of the devices that would work with it.
Still figuring out how to map it...maybe the musicradar info will help. I respect the magazines from them and love the free software and the samples.
Thanks!