Nano for Surface?

91 replies [Last post]
tom_tm

Matt, what about WIST? Could that be implemented easier than MIDI clock?

Jim Hanks

1.b is the main thing I'm interested in

bmanic

Well.. today I got an Asus T100 which is running full windows 8.1 and is an awesome little tablet/hybrid thing. Guess what? Nano Studio works perfectly at the smallest possible latency available in the program.

The ONLY problem is that you need to double tap the virtual keyboard to get a sound. Is there any way you could change that so that single tap works? It's a bit strange really that it works with the mouse with a single click but not on the touch screen.

Other than that, it works absolutely perfectly!

Btw. FL Studio 11, the full application works absolutely perfectly as well running Asio4All. I managed to get the latency down to 512 samples which is not that bad.. but it does start to crackle if CPU utilization goes beyond about 40%. If I up the latency to 2048 it works perfectly up to about 85% cpu utilization. It almost plays the default demo song glitch free! This is rather impressive considering the amount of CPU that song uses on an i7 desktop cpu!

Anyhow, I'd rather use Nano Studio on this tablet for now as it was made properly for touch so any way to fix the virtual keyboard only responding to double taps would be awesome.

Cheers!

Blip Interactive

That's really strange. So do the synth's virtual keys and TRG's pads require a double tap to work, but all other controls works as normal?

syrupcore

Surface RTs are dirt cheap at the moment. http://www.ebay.com/sme/manufacturer_certified/Save-more-when-you-add-re...

I came looking for this thread to see if they ever became a possibility. Guess not.

Blip Interactive

The answer is yes and no.

Yes : NanoStudio runs on Surface, and I use it for building and testing a lot of my ARM assembler because the Microsoft tools are superb. It would take more work to get it 'production ready', which I've never done because of the 'no' bit:

No : Just like Android and Blackberry, the audio latency is poor. This is something that Apple got totally right. If you really want to bore yourself stupid, you can read a thread I started here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/a6785334-f7f5-...

Gets a pretty high spot in Google if you type in 'WinRT audio latency' :)

Slam-Cut

I just thought you were just into boring us on THIS forum. I didn't realize that you were accomplished at that on other forums. :o)

syrupcore

I actually thought the thread was interesting! Sort of like a mystery novel as bugs and tests were revealed. Sadly, the end left me hanging. :)

Stiksi

Just waiting for the sequel, I'm sure. I don't know the first thing about coding but it was still interesting because it exposed the thinking behind Windows RT design choices.

Slam-Cut

Yeah, I was getting excited up until I read this part:

"It almost plays the default demo song glitch free!"

Wow. I started using NS on a 3GS. I didn't realize just how far behind the other devices were.
I am concern that I am so hungry for good info on this forum that I read this thread when I clearly have no desire for a 'Surface'. :o/

Stiksi

On the other hand, I'm beginning to warm up to a Surface Pro. That super thin display stack is just amazing with a pen and being able to use desktop software is definitely a great asset. I'll wait for the Pro 3 to see whether they've botched the pen (only 256 levels) but it looks promising!

Slam-Cut

Pen? For graphics? Is that your thing?

OK, maybe others have been doing this for a long time, but I just recently started using a tablet pen with my iPhone for NS. Pretty cool once you get the feel of how much pressure to apply. It's really nice not to have my big fingers in the way of what I'm trying to see. Now I'll have to go see if there are 'fine tip' pens available. The one I have is like a Sharpie with a wad of gum stuck to it. Weird that it is better than my finger...

tom_tm

I like the way the bloke from Microsoft keeps ending his posts with "I hope this helps". Irony or what?

Stiksi

@ Slam-Cut: "Pen? For graphics? Is that your thing? "

Yep, I'm an illustrator, so I mainly use my tablet to draw / paint, look for reference pictures and to pretend to make music while playing with all those soft-synths.

There is at least one fine tip pen I know of, the Jot Script. I don't know if it's any good, the Jot Touch is a bit finicky. I use the Wacom Intuos Creative bluetooth pen which has a bit of pressure sensitivity, and it's pretty good for what I do. It has a big tip, though. Anyway, once you get a fine tip pen, you'll start to realize why the iPad is meant to be used with a finger – the touch accuracy sucks bigtime. Whatever you do, don't buy anything from TenOne.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Jot Touch. I'm interested it getting something a bit better than the $5 pen I got for my iPhone, to use with NS. I find my finger seems fine on the iPad. (apparently only one finger - maybe that should have been fingers) Probably got used to the iPad these last few months and now the iPhone seems small. I was curious if pens worked well on the various illustration apps on the iPad. Sounds like you say 'no', or maybe 'ei'? Are there any illustration apps worth bothering with on iOS?

In in a total off-topic question for this thread, do you have any recommendations on software for beginners on PC? I picked up a Wacom tablet/pen about a year ago but don't have the budget for the expensive programs. Is there anything that an experienced illustrator would recommend that doesn't break the bank? I'll guess that you use a Mac... New Mac + software ain't gonna happen, but would be a nice dream. I'll go now and savor that one

Stiksi

Pens work well on all apps because they're completely mechanical, but the pressure sensitivity will only work in apps that support it. I'm not sure how universal the Jot Script is. For drawing I use Sketch Club and Procreate, I haven't seen anything that even approaches those two on iOS. Only Sketch Club works on the iPhone, though.

For PC I would recommend Sketchbook Pro or getting on the Adobe Photographer programme which gets you Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for around ten coins a month depending on where you live. It's about half what Photoshop alone costs, so it's a decent deal. But Sketchbook Pro will get you started and it's a pretty ok app for simpler stuff. If you're into painting, quite a few people use Paint tool Sai, which is a PC only programme.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for those tips Mr. Stiksi! I'll check out those apps and programs real soon. I ordered a mechanical pen for use with NS, but haven't found a way yet to rationalize a pressure sensitive pen. Maybe when I get into an art app or two I'll find some good reasons to convince myself that I NEED to spend the extra money.

Stiksi

You probably don't… The apps work very well without pressure and even the Wacom pen is a bit iffy with the current support. Wait a couple years if you're not in a hurry, the tech is going to be so different.

Slam-Cut

That's a really useful tip! Yeah, I'm sure I can get by without the pressure for now. I dabbled a bit in the 90's but I could never really create art with the computer since I was already so used to traditional media. But things have changed a lot since then (much like with music) and I'm feeling that I should try some computer art apps to see what I can accomplish. It's really hard to navigate the app store, so I appreciate these tip - esp. since you are an experienced illustrator.

Cpu Red

I use Art Studio myself. It's a pretty awesome program. It's on iPhone and iPad albeit not universal.

Stiksi

Art Studio looks pretty workable to me. I remember looking at it at some point but for some reason or another, didn't get it.

My sketch club profile is here if you want to check it out: http://app.sketchclub.com/user/24137367

What's cool about this app is that it's like Nanostudio in that you have direct access to the dev, who is very active in the forums and I've managed to get quite a few feature requests through. What's cool about Procreate is that it has two brush textures: Brush tip texture and canvas texture. Also, lasso tool with easy transform options. Sketch Club has more innovative tools but has some drawbacks in the UI.

Anyway, I hope you find one that you like. Making the jump from traditional is so frustrating at first. I used to work with watercolour, colour pencils and oil pastels and the one thing that I miss is a real brush. It's just so much more versatile than any stylus or Photoshop brush preset. Some day maybe…

Well, this thread is properly hijacked!

syrupcore

Some really really amazing work up there Stiksi.

Cpu Red

Properly hijacked indeed! Cool art work Stiksi. One of the things that I really like about drawing on the ipad is that I can take photos of my old pencil sketches and color and finish them in a program. Technology is pretty sweet.

Blip Interactive

Brilliant! And now I know what you look like ... through your own eyes and interpretation anyway :)

Stiksi

Thanks, guys! Just to get back to the topic a bit, I've been using Ableton Live with a wacom tablet for a while now and while it required editing a preference file manually, it's just amazing! I'm never touching a mouse again. Pens are good with music programmes.

Slam-Cut

Nice art work Stiksi! I was never really very good with faces, but I can see that you have a knack for it. Obviously you are a pro. Thanks for sharing the link.

Oops! I think the hijacking was my fault... 1) I shouldn't read threads I'm not actually interested in 2) I shouldn't be so lazy as to not just start a new thread myself. It's not like I don't know where the New Topic button is. But what is this thread doing in the Announcements section anyway?

Stiksi

I guess Aced was hoping for an announcement.

Slam-Cut

Aren't we all...?
Perhaps Matt will kick this thread down to the General Chat section at some point so I don't feel so guilty not discussing Windows RT latency. It seems like it is hard for the handful of us to keep more than a couple of threads going at this point, so we are drawn like moths to the shinny 'X new' of any thread. ...or is that just me?

Stiksi

I'm happy with Surface Pro having support ;) It seems like that's where Microsoft's putting all the effort anyway.

It's not just you. I check out what's in the sidebar and just blab away.

aced411

My interest in the Surface came and went. Now I'm just patiently waiting for Nano 2 to grace the iPad.