Receive buffer overflow

12 replies [Last post]
wesclot

Hi there. i have made four track now in NanoStudio and i couldn't be without it :) (you can check my tunes out @ http://soundcloud.com/wesclot)
My problem is i am uploading so many samples to my collection on NanoStudio that ive come across a buffer overflow. to try and remedy this issue i have deleted quite a few of the original samples that i was not using, but alas i am still greeted with the same error message, please please please help me as i am trying to get myself involved in some remix competitions this weekend :) cheers guys

Blip Interactive

Hmm, looks like NanoSync gives this when it gets more than half a meg of filename data - I suspect you must have many thousands of samples. I could probably increase this limit for any future release, to be honest I added it thinking that if it gets a response of that size then something's probably gone wrong. I've since learnt that any limit generally gets exceeded by a user at some stage!

If NanoStudio can't list a directory due to this problem, you'll have to prune a few sample folders on your device until it starts working again.

aumaura

I know this is an old thread, but I am getting the receive buffer overflow error also after FINALLY getting connected and uploading a bunch of samples... I don't know how to correct this situation, any help would be great!

Slam-Cut

I don’t understand the technical issues here, but I am wondering if you couldn’t get around this problem. Load samples into another app, such as AudioShare, and then pull them out of that app as you need them. Copy the needed samples into a NS project, rather than dumping them all into a root level sample folder in NS. Worth a try. iOS music production is full of creative work-arounds.

aumaura

I am such a newbie... I will look into audioShare. I hardly know how to operate nanostudio on my phone!!! I think I have too many sample files, and they are indeed in the root menu.... trying to delete files now, but its slow going as I appear to only be able to go one by one...guess I got overzealous once I finally got it working... oops!!! thanks for your help Slam-cut!

Slam-Cut

No problem! I didn’t know you were new to NS. I don’t know at what point too many samples becomes a problem and slows things down, but I think that because NS (and Nanosync) is an old app that wasn’t really designed to be a pro-level DAW (despite us trying to use it as such) it might have problems dealing with large files. Actually it’s more likely a Nanosync issue. I know that when I use Nanosync to back up to my computer I sometimes run into problems dragging whole folders stuffed full of big projects and .nsp files. So I’ll usually open the folder and transfer projects, back-ups, & mixdowns a few at a time. Then everything runs like a charm.

The features of the soon to be released NS2 should be able to handle larger files. If you haven’t heard, Nanostudio is a 32 bit app that can’t run on iOS 11, so whatever you do, don’t upgrade to iOS 11. NS2 will run on iOS 11, because it is a 64 bit app, but NS2 will also run on iOS 9 & 10, so I think the smart bet is to avoid iOS 11 until well after NS2 is out and you have old projects either saved to computer or ‘transferred’ to NS2.

As to your current problem, I suggest AudioShare or AUM maybe as these are more current apps and should be easier to get files in and out of. I’d try to use Dropbox (another app you should have on your iDevice). In fact you can just keep your samples on Dropbox until needed. Transfer samples out of dropbox either directly into NS for a specific project, or into Audioshare. AudioShare lets you create folders that you can use to organize your samples. Handy way of doing things I think.

Let us know how everything works out. It’s nice to get the end of the story.

aumaura

can you give me a step by step for how to get files from dropbox to NS please? I have that on my phone! YOUR A GEM!

Slam-Cut

Sure.
In Dropbox press the 3 dots below the .wav file and select ‘Export’.
Select ‘Open In’. This brings up a bunch of apps that can use .wav files.
Select ‘Nanostudio’. I usually have NS open when I do this, but if not the app should open and you will get the NS text keyboard pop-up. The default seems to place samples right in to the folder labelled ‘Samples’, but if you use the ‘Browse’ button at the bottom you can select other folders. Then just press the green check mark and the file is saved.

Which folder you select depends upon what you want to do with the sample. If it is say a drum loop or some sound that will really just work for one song, then save the sample in the Project folder of that song. That way when you save the song as a .nsp file, that sample will be saved with the project. If you put a sample in the root Sample folder then you will always know where to look for it, but that folder can get massive and bog things down. What I do for sample-based Eden presets that I want to have for regular useage (not just one song) is save the sample to a sub-folder named Presets. Then any preset you save to banks A-G will always look to the Presets folder to find the sample. Then just to be safe, when I save a song as a .nsp file I will copy those presets that the song uses to the P bank, since those presets will be saved with the project and sound correct, even if I later changed the sound of a preset on banks A-G or relocate them to a different position. This sort of work habit will save headaches when you, much later, open an old project and find that the presets are all wrong.

Hope that helps!

aumaura

HIGH FIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEE!!!!!

i have spent hours and hours trying to connect to nanosync... earlier this morning I threw in the towel, believing I had no other way to upload samples, I began trying to find a similar alternative... I totally forgot about this thread! I tried it, it works!! may be slow going as i seem to be only able to upload one sample at a time... still.. I am IN!!!! u get a gold star!

Slam-Cut

Yay! I love a gold star!
Not sure why you are having such trouble with Nanosync. It’s always been reliable for me. You’ll need it to get mixdowns and projects (saved .nsp files) out of NS. Rather than throw out random suggestions, let me know what you have tried to do to get Nanosync to sync. You did read the manual on Nanosync, ...right?

aumaura

gosh it has been SUCH a challenge with nanosync... the person who suggested I get NANO, also said he has never had any issues with it.. and googling yielded nothing also, so I have determined I am just SPECIAL!!! I have been worried about that part, when I wish to pull my songs off I mean. I read the manual yes, tho it is likely that it has something to do with my internet set up, which cant be helped really... I live in the sticks, we have satellite internet... also, the main router is at my folks house about 300yds away, I use an apple wifi base station at my cabin which bounces of their signal... I switched off firewall, I tried setting up a network just for my macbook and phone, I turned evething on and off, I even tried a hard reset on EVERYTHING... I have gotten it to work 3 times.... bu I have zero clue as to what I did that made it work, even when I try and recreate the scenario... its terribly frustrating!! at least I have some samples loaded in now through audioshare (turns out I figured that out too, and its faster than dropbox) I keep telling myself that all this struggle is really gonna pay off eventually!!!

Slam-Cut

I haven’t really tried to do bulk sample loading from Dropbox to Audioshare, but I would give that a try. It sounds as though your network situation is the issue. There is a free app called Speed Test that will test the speed of your connection to the internet in Mbs. Getting out to the internet isn’t necessary for Nanosync, but it will give you an idea of the strength of your signal. 300 yds is probably too far away. When using Nanosync, the signal is going 300 yds each way. I’m amazed you are getting it to work at all. Try an experiment of moving everything to your parent’s house to see how Nanosync works under those conditions. This will let you know if the weak signal is your main issue, which I would suspect it is. Then maybe just hang out there when moving large files.

BTW extra points for the Tron reference in your previous post.

aumaura

:)

realized that I worded that poorly, the wifi base station at my cabin is connected to their house via a very long ether cable..my net connect seems fine, but I also thought perhaps it was a signal strength issue, so I took my set up to their house.. still no luck... I had sorta wondered if this was the universes way of telling me to hang tight till nanostudio2 is available...?!? in the meantime that audioshare trick turned the tables! Much appreciation, I was at my wits end..