Android Jelly Bean

80 replies [Last post]
aleon909

These arguments are getting old. What fascinates me is that I noticed to different groups. Those who feel ns for android could not happen, and those that just plain don't want it to ever happen, even if it could. Not sure if that's because of apple fanboyism or if some people enjoy feeling snooty and apart of a special little clique that only true elite music lovers can be apart of. Whichever the case. I'm over it. It would be great to use nanostudio again someday but I won't hold my breath. Lol maybe blip interactive can put my twenty dollars towards research on 4.4 kitkat. Best of luck to you blip, I will miss you. No hard feelings.

Stiksi

Yes these arguments are getting old because nothing has changed about how Android treats audio. If they ever get around to fixing the delay, and (judging by the dev comments) the SDK, it's open season. Be mad at Google if you want to be mad. They clearly don't think musicians matter.

tom_tm

I can't work out why people want NS on Android, when they've already got the superb Caustic 2/3? Is Caustic not great??

Stiksi

Have you seen the size of those buttons on a phone you can fit into a normal pocket without looking like Spongebob Squarepants?

When they come up with a genuine phone UI, it will be a NS competitor. I can totally understand why NS on Android would be a great thing (except selfishly I hope Blip would finally hire help at that point).

Blip Interactive

Given that almost 8 times more Android devices than IOS devices were shipped in the previous quarter, I'd love to do something. When they fix the audio latency.

Stiksi

Fart app? According to blog comments on Apple centric sites Android market is lacking in that respect.

neut

I thought latency had been sorted as you get non with caustic 3

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

Caustic is great but it's nothing for real time audio like NanoStudio or other iOS apps.
@BlipInteractive: But the 8x more android devices are mostly the cheap samsungs which are still unusable for this. The problem is still that it seems that even android 4.4 will not solve it (or?). And once android 5.x perhaps will work then it needs another year before "enough" devices get the update etc. I tryed it a second time with Android i would love it really but........... it's so far away! Even Apple don't care about us musicians with their limited 1GB ram in the new devices. So google go the same and the music niche is to small. I will order now def. an iPad mini 2 retina with 128GB as soon as possible. I have 14 days to test it then. If i still prefer an iPhone then i will buy again an iPhone 5S 64GB and looking forward for NanoStudio 2!
For "normal" people i would always recommend an android smartphone but the tablet sucks. For tablets there is still just one for me, the ipad. But i really like the 6" Nokia 1520 smartlet but windows rt and windows phone are still not usable too for mobile music!
So in a few weeks i def. have my new workstation and will blow out again some epic tracks ;)
Nice weekend to all!

pquenin

Caustic 3 is coming soon and will be released on iOS too. So why not Nanostudio on Android ?

dendy

as i know, Caustic 3 will be only at android, not at iOS ..

pquenin

wait a little and you will see...

ignobilitor

Beware of the '8 times' figure: the overwhelming majority of those aren't true smartphones and are running older versions of Android. The number also includes things like the Chromecast dongle you plug into your TV.

You might want to look at the number of true smartphones running the latest version of Android with the number of iOS devices running iOS 7 for a more realistic comparison.

Blip Interactive

Yeah I know. And the device fragmentation, higher chance of piracy etc. etc. All additional reasons why I haven't gone there.

kitejan

My boss is a big Android fan and he was telling me he had watched 2 hours (of a 3 hour keynote speech) from Google about Android 5 - and all the wonderful stuff they are improving. I did make some comment along the lines of "I hope they do something about Audio then". Then I stumbled across this over on "another iOS forum" which seem, at first reading, interesting:
http://geeknizer.com/audio-improvements-in-android-5-0-l-audiophile/

*If* this is true (and I didnt, and have no intention of, watching a keynote speech on anything :-) ) then this could be a major change in Android music apps. Or not. Or something.

Jan

Blip Interactive

Sounds more promising but I've learnt to hold judgement until it can be proved. From what I've read, audio latency has actually gone backwards on Android recently because the device manufacturers haven't been supplying the low latency audio HAL on the latest hardware. The best device for audio latency is the Galaxy Nexus, almost 3 years old.

Bear in mind I only dip into this occasionally to see what's going on so my facts may be confused!

kitejan

Ah - a cynic!

Yep - definitely a "wait and see", along with "prove it"..... Not like the IT world to make big promises and fail to deliver is it?

m2n2l2

I've been on team Android past year or so, nothing spectacularly good to say about it really. Poor power-management that gets fixed with project volta, poor utilization of cpu-power making the devices feel sluggish and noticeable lag when using the touchscreen compared to buttersmoothness of ios devices. Honestly, I only use it because I have to, not because I want to. My ipad 2 felt 3-4 generations faster than my nexus 7 ever does. Sad face.

tom_tm

I've just read via Palm Sounds that Thumbjam is coming to Samsung Galaxy tablets because Samsung have developed a new SDK that tackles audio/touch latency. As much as I'd prefer to eat my own faeces than own anything made by Samsung, this I suppose is good news for Android owners? Could Nanostudio make use of this SDK, or is the latency issue still a long way off getting fixed properly?

Blip Interactive

Yes there's a bit about this at the bottom of this article:

http://superpowered.com/low-latency-audio-android-ios/

Only supported on 2 or 3 Samsung devices and personal project of one Samsung engineer. Doesn't sound too reassuring, but respect to Thumbjam's developer for going for it!

It also begs the question : If one guy can get this happening for some cases, why can't Google just bloody do it for all devices!

tom_tm

I don't think this is the fault of Google necessarily? It could just be that Samsung have pinpointed where the problem lies in their hardware, and have seen the one one market that is doing really well on iOS, that being music creation. Maybe people like HTC, Asus et al, just don't recognise that market? But I guess we'll see? If the other companies see that Samsung are selling more units because of an increase of units sold for music creation alone, maybe others will follow? I suppose now that would just boil down to whether or not you'd be arsed to get NS working on one Android product or not? Frankly I can't see that happening especially if right across the board, you'd have to do a separate hack for each unit produced?