Android Jelly Bean

80 replies [Last post]
tom_tm

@alphacat

I agree completely.

kitejan

I'm with Alphacat with this one as well. If people were sensible and worked out the reason NS on Android does work well is because its old Hardware with an old version of Android and loads of other apps all running at the same time and didn't blame NS then fair enough - let the user decide. But people will install it then find it doesn't work (or work well ) and then, yes, will blame NS!

That said personally it would be nice to have the Android version as well (being an Android phone user). Pity it couldn't be released to "responsible grownups" for "beta testing" purposes...... (I know - good reasons why as a developer that would be seriously bad idea, but still :-) )

syrupcore

I'm with @alphacat as well but I don't think it's purely a google issue. The whole ecosystem is a bit of a wreck. A gagillion phone models, carriers/manufacturers not updating the OS on their devices and piracy spring to mind as examples of the Android minefield.

Plus, I'm selfish and more platforms == more work supporting those platforms == less time for new features in the iOS version!

tom_tm

I agree too that Android support will take away from iOS development. There's nothing more I want more than NS2!!!

pquenin

Maybe if there is already a working Android version of Nanostudio, it's not an obligation to have it on the Google PlayStore.
Matt can share it (via download) with IOS Nanostudio users that also want their favourite music app on their Android phone....

Ptero

Actually that would work quite well. I suppose you can find some service that'll let us download the apk for a price.

phusion

oh well looks as if the ios brainwashers have won again and i will have to fork out another 500 plus euros to buy another ipad only 2 years after buying my first ipad which is now not supported by apple. the thing that makes me angry is that everyone who posted against having NS on android are all right with their reasons as to why it wont be a good thing. you all opened my eyes to things i didnt consider and frankly if thats the case then we will never see it on android. shame. audiobus, putting my music directly into imovie, and an app store that doesnt crash all for an extra 500€ and the only REAL reason im getting it is for nanostudio.
hi boss about my overtime request...........

tom_tm

Blimey. What a whinge? I still have plenty of friends still using an iPad 1. What's the problem??

pixelblip

It is so frustrating about Android and audio.......we are so far down the line with Android now.........it's not easy to understand why they can't solve it ( or do they want to? ). I'm quite happy with my 70 UK pound Acer B1 Android tablet (with sd card slot) and don't want to purchase an Ipad Mini! Apple stuff is quality I know but a bit of me resents the Ipad Mini being 4x the cost. You pays for whats you get eh

Fruity Loops works pretty well on Android, even real time recording. Could Nanostudio work as well as FL does? It seems to have a very low footprint.....

I do appreciate others would like to see Nanostudio 2 rather than time being spent on an Android version........but it would be good to get Nanostudio into the hands of many more people.........loads of us have Android phones now .......

I do have an Ipad 1 by the way.......and yeh you are right it works well on an Ipad 1.........

Anyway I guess it's a dead horse being flogged........it's up to Google isn't it.

tom_tm

The only reason for wanting a point to Android as far as I can tell is price. But from what I've been reading many of the cheaper tablets still have appalling touch response. I was looking at the Hudl from Tesco a mere snip at only £120 and another bargain tablet from Asus (HD 7). Both seem like bargains except when tests are done on them for responsiveness. I've also read reviews from saying that not all tablets are the same, some having to be returned because they don't work. I've also been messing around with Linux recently too. But both Android and Linux it seems, although good for surfing the net and a few graphic programmes, just don't seem to hack it when it comes to music software.

In fact, running puppy linux on my Acer Atom PC makes for a presently fast interface, but run a music program, and it just grinds to a halt. I presuming its going to be exactly the same for Android, except that it may not ground to a halt, just won't respond to your touch. Arghhh! Looking at the price of the best Android it seems for music, the Nexus 7, well, you cannow buy secondhand ipad Minis for twice the price as a secondhand Nexus. With the ipad mini 2 due to arrive in the next couple of weeks, the version 1 is going to sell for even less.

Anyway, I'm waffling now.... They're all an absolute pain in the arse. It's also been announce that Caustic has been ported to iOS and will shortly be available (Blip, watch your back mate!). Love em or hate em, Apple are the only place it seems its at the moment for music apps at least for touch devices. I can't see that changing unfortunately anywhere in the meantime soon either. Bummer.

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

Caustic is very nice and the best i saw on Android. The same but with the real-time-performence of iOS could make it far better and usable on an iOS device.
But i also would like to see more apps on android because i decided now to work with it.... or i try it and will see if i can live with it until the audio problems are solved. Apps like virtual ans are working much better on an os with open file management f.e. So not everything is better on iOS when it comes to music production (but the most, yes). I send my iPhone 5s back because of the "wide spreaded" sensorproblems and loose powerbuttons which mine also had out of the box. Also there seems a lot software issues (blue screens with apples own software... don't tryed it but if it's true it's another bummer), IAA is a half backed thing (yet) and there are a lot other things. Most says apple and iOS is the best because of the smothness and everything works great and is quality out of the box.... this time is over for sure. I will not say that others are better... no way.. but the quality in general is going down (my personal experiences) and others (android, windows ... also my personal experience) getting a bit better and the same time. So now they are all on a same level i would say but apple is too expensive then! Many people know i'm a hardcore iOS musician and i love(d) it soo much but why should i ask so many developers if they plan to make something for android or windows phone etc...? .... because there is something wrong with apple's quality of soft- and hardware more and more and i believe (at the moment and because of my personal experiences) that android is more future proved and perhaps it could take still some time but the latency will getting better. That's possible in theory we saw with different solutions like sonoma's low latency "try". Of course it needs finally a "native" solution from google itself! I really still hope for apple getting their things together soon and i would consider again to buy an iPhone 5s in 1-2 month or perhaps waiting for an iPhone 6 (now i'm without any iPhone device to producing iOS music). But fact is for me if others will offers the same or similar audio options... why should people stay with Apple?
indeed Caustic 3 is coming... http://youtu.be/8AC-w1Ts-aw
Just my 2 cents...so i would buy an less working version for android for sure!
Edit: Would like to see a NS2 demo like this.... uups... sorry had to say this.

pixelblip

Wow GalaxyExplorer, I am amazed to read what you have to say. You are a very experienced Nanostudio-er with IOS and I had no idea these quality issues existed with recent Apple stuff. Oh dear! The Iphone 5s needs a bit of time to bed down......with their 32 bit stuff running on 64 bit......

And Tom Tom, all I can say is my Acer B1 tablet is very responsive. It's processing power seems a lot faster than an Atom........but that of course is down to coding as well......I have used Puppy Linux and realtime jack on Atom's and you can't do much with it - but my B1 happily plays Fruity Loops no sweat.....also does multitracking with Audio Evolution........and Caustic runs really well on it........and it's not even quad core like the Hudl.

Ipad mini 1s will be cheaper .........sure........but I'd rather use a tablet with an SD card slot and a non proprietary charger........nothing irks me more! There are so many cool IOS Apple music apps out now....but I hate all the other apple limitations.

Music on Android is long overdue......some competition is well needed in this sector.

tom_tm

Cheers pixel. I'll take a look at that one. :)

tom_tm

£50 secondhand???? Bargain!!

syrupcore

Wow. That's crazy cheap. Almost tempting as a Netflix, ebook, music library, caustic, photo display, 'here kid, leave me alone' secondary tablet.

Crazy world. Doesn't seem that long ago that I would have had to pay 10 times that amount for 8gb of storage alone, let alone flash storage.

Liberalquilt

When the secondhand mini 1 price drops after the mini 2 launch it will be only good for the iOS musician on a budget. I use a mini for music quite successfully with only a few limitations (mainly audiobus related, and can be worked round (using ACP). I couldn't use Auria but I'm not too bothered as it seems over priced, and I've been so conditioned over the past few years into recording audio into the TRG sampler (which has the best sample editing functionality i have ever come across) that I've been using it in preference to other multitrack apps that do work on the mini, and even reaper on my laptop. Besides the mini is a much more convenient size, and weight than the full iPad.

pixelblip

I might pick a mini up next year when the price drops......we shall see.....depends if we see NS on Android!
Both Caustic and NS are very efficient............credit to the programmers.

There are cheap tablets out there really! But whatever negativ experiences i had with apple i would use 100% an iPad if i would decide to make music on a tablet. There are lot of smartphones out there but especially when it comes to tablets and tablet optimized apps there is still just one option for me. But i'm still not a fan of tablets and i don't think an iPad 5 will change this. Then i would really prefer an iPad "pro". Something like the Surface 2 pro which i think is a really nice device in general. But an iPad pro which could run OSX and iOS apps would be really cool. Perhaps they will do something when the Surface pro is growing too much (but i don't think so)! At the other side i could control my pro Alchemy on my Laptop with an ipod touch f.e. as remote control (i think other Synths and DAW's have similar options yet). I don't know if it's true really but i read that an ipod/iphone/ipad has better touch responsive as a windows 8 pro touch device!? Really?? However, i had a look at a Samsung Galaxy S4 (which i tested a few days) and it's a meeehhhhh. I think as a smartphone hardcore producer trying to get something out of the green robot i should go with the coming Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat (jammy;) But when i saw also the buggy update to the Nexus 4 to 4.3.... i ask me really if it will be better. Learning trough pain eh'! Or can anyone recommend a Android smartphone which would be the best option to start...... or have i to crawl back to the apple soon? Will see what happening after iOS 7.1 or 7.2 and if they solve the hardware faults i had :(

neut

It would be great to see nanostudio on an android device. I've been playing with caustic 3 beta for a little while and its working great, no latency issues at all on my nexus 4 so it must be sorted by now surely. Ios7 is rubbish on my ipad2 and I'm put off using it at the moment with it constantly lagging. Same old story for android though it still needs the backing from some great developers such as Blip but the android OS is soooo much better these days

Ptero

New iPads have low specs and are too expensive.

Just thought I'd try to plead for Android nanostudio once more.

Pwetty pwease.

syrupcore

low specs... but they work really really well. Specs are silly.

But especially for the new mini the specs are much higher i thought! The Air drops in the 128gb in Germany 50€. If they now solve the sensor issues (7.0.3 is out) and some other things on the iPhone 5s... perhaps i like them again ;)

instinctive

The sensors issue is definitely solved:

* Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue

tom_tm

From what I gather, Caustic 3 *is* planned for iOS release. The developer has had C3 working on iOS for the last year or so. He's just working out how to sync it to PC/Mac without having to use dreaded iTunes (Nanosync!!)

As for the new iPad's being 'low spec'd', I think the term "What the fuck?" springs to mind? ;)

The new iPad mini is simply gorgeous. I'd be quite happy to sell my iPad 4 and get one of those.

@instinctive: Mhhh.... but there was also problems with gyroscope and all other sensors included in the M7.... will try it out in the apple store next month and will play with the ipad air at the second of november (the first is a holiday here). But the bigger problems was the rattling and loose powerbuttons on all the 15-20 iPhone 5s i tested on the tables and the one i bought and send back for refund. I still would prefer a more pocket friendly new device but i don't know if i can live with a loose button. The iPad mini would be a option but just with a bit more powerful gpu and 2GB ram. I also still wait for the Nexus 5 as an option for my new workstation. But after the AudioShare update i would miss another thing more yet. Buying all would be nice but that's too expensive. I have the feeling i will end up with an 64GB iPhone 5s again.... there are not much iPhone hardcores musicians left lol :)
@tom_tm: I saw (a while ago) that the developer mentioned an iPad only version and even there was not enough people who wants it..... perhaps this changed?!?

Ptero

Alright well, the specs for the new iPads aren't that bad, but you can find similarly spec'd tablets for much cheaper.

The new A7 processor is probably the best out there, however:

It's probably going to be underutilized by apps for a while, especially the 64 bit architecture which doesn't have close to enough ram (4 gb) to be used properly.

And Speaking of ram, only 1 gig. The previous generation nexus 7 had that much for $200 over a year ago .

The new Nexus 7, and essentially all new android devices, phones and tablets, have 2 gb ram. And they have plenty powerful quadcore processors utilized well by app developers. For apps like Auria and Cubasis (and Nanostudio 2 soon hopefully ^_^ ) the ram is more important because of all the large WAV audio playing simultaneously.

So considering that the new Nexus 7 with quadcore snapdragon s4 and 2gb ram is only 230 dollarydoos!, compared to 400, it's pretty clear that you'd be overpaying for a new iPad, moreso than previous generations.

So again Blip, pl0x android.

MCOBigBen

If I'm paying for a music creation platform, then a $10 android tablet would be overpriced.

syrupcore

Again, specs. It's like behringer stating their $100 converters support 24 bits and 192khz. Technically true but what about *all* of the other components? I don't know about you but I'll take a really well made ADC with lower specs any day. Specs are for noobs.

Use an iPad for a day. Use a nexus 7 for a day. Ignoring the audio stuff, just browse the web and play a few games and send some emails. Those specs aren't really helping are they? I don't like apple but the iPad is still very much in 'crushing the competition' territory. I want cheap and beefy and awesome tablet options too but they don't exist yet.

syrupcore

The specs game certainly isn't specific to computer/tablet makers. Here's a great old read on it from the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook (awesome book!)

http://books.google.com/books?id=d7ft6F8ZUdcC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA105#v=onepage...

instinctive

@Ptero: 1) Prices don't matter. Google doesn't make money off their devices. And you buy such a device how often? Once every two years? That makes $20 a month for a $500 device.

2) If the processors and memory are all that great in those Android devices and developers make so much great use of them, then why are they so SLOW?