layering drums?

6 replies [Last post]
grindoxsaurus

anyone got some good tips for layering drums?

im tried of weak drums.

i've basically pitched up samples and than put them back to normal for old school grimey tricks.
been layering compression etc.

what do people do? ha ha. trying to get back into this, been messin with ableton for a minute and hardware.

what's everyone been up to?

syrupcore

I often layer two sounds and use the attack and release to give them both some room. Usually using just the initial pop of one (0 attack, short decay) and the body of another (slower attack and full decay).

grindoxsaurus

nice i was going to just layer a bunch of sounds and eq , pitch , and detune and resample. your work around might be less time consuming.

Stiksi

I usually have a kick on one BUS highpassed and another kick on a low-passed BUS with a slightly longer attack. Works pretty well.

MCOBigBen

I'm terminally lazy, so it's great to hear what you guys are doing. Inspires me to tweak more! In my most drum layered song:

http://soundcloud.com/mcobigben/out-of-office

I used 4 kits. One kit was just used 'normally'. A second kit was compressed till it pumped and huffed all over the place (you can hear it most in the ride which gets scared off by the kick). The 3rd kit was chiptune sounds, and I panned everything in it 100% right or 100% left. The last kit was just toms played by mashing the 1/16 autobeat.

alphacat

Taking the symphonic approach - at least three kits, each of which 'live' in different freq range; one will be very high-endish with little or no bottom (usually an older drum machine kit), one with a lot of boom and low end (often acoustic drum samples) and then one to fit right in the middle without a lot of low or high end definition (a break sample, for instance.)

grindoxsaurus

just started making some crazy stuff. i was adding different TRGS, but then noticed that it was only taking 4 pads, but that's okay. i just have to re sample more. i guess that's the best work around for that.