Sync via iTunes?

12 replies [Last post]
BardTheBird

Instead of NanoSync, have you considered using iTunes to transfer files via USB?

Many other Apps do this and I find it to be well integrated, simple, and quick.

Seeing as I'm on a PowerPC, I feel a bit left out in the NanoStudio community, and I feel somewhat limited. This would provide stability for people like me and is probably faster than transferring over WiFi.

Blip Interactive

This has been discussed. Disadvantages:

- It requires that you upgrade your phone to iOS 4
- It currently only supports the root directory (can be dealt with by zipping up folder structures and unzipping at the phone end)
- NanoSync deals with some necessary wav file conversion and renaming which would still have to be done.
- No way to get a simple directory listing of what's currently on your device

I will be looking at PPC support for NanoSync when 24 bit wav support is added, which will be in about a month if you can hold out till then.

Will iPhone Explorer work for your setup as an alternative?

BardTheBird

For now, I'm okay with iPhone explorer. HOWEVER, I don't like messing with my iPod's internal files.

Can I get straightforward instructions about where to put stuff so I don't corrupt anything or whatever?

(It could be really simple as-is; I haven't had a chance to check.)

Also, just as a quick note, as awesome as iPhone Explorer looks, Phone Disk is free for a while (same company; I think it's a slightly better version since you normally have to pay for it). So if you're going to recommend iPhone Explorer to other customers, consider Phone Disk instead. ;)

-BardTheBird

Blip Interactive

I can think of these tips:

- Anything under the Documents/User folder is pretty fair game.
- NanoStudio only understands 16 bit .wav at 44.1kHz (NanoSync normally does some conversions to deal with this).
- Don't use '&' in any filenames - NanoSync replaces these with a '+' but this limitation will be removed on the next update

If you can back up the entire app's data using iPhone Explorer/Drive before you do anything that'll probably be a good idea - might save you some pain in future.

BardTheBird

Sounds good!

Thanks for your fast support and showing that you CARE. That's rare in developers these days and I just wanted to express that.

I'm off to go add some custom samples! :D

-BardTheBird

djed19

Hi I just wanted to know if iPhone Explorer is an option at this time thanks.

Blip Interactive

Yes you can use iPhone Explorer, but make sure that you only upload 44.1kHz 16 bit samples - NanoSync normally does this conversion for you.

bnc

Is there an alternative for os 10.4.11? I don't have a wifi network at home and I don't think the programs on my Macbook would all survive upgrading to 10.5. :(

formal

Wifi is the only way at the moment. Does your macbook have a wifi card installed? If so you might try creating an Ad Hoc network and use Nanosync. http://www.macworld.com/article/46658/2005/09/octmobilemac.html

bnc

Hmm, got the network connected but I keep getting a timeout trying to connect w/ Nanosync. The firewall is turned off too.

formal

Is your iDevice connecting to the Ad Hoc network you made? Also did you enable nanosync on the iphone/ipod/ipad first? In the "manage" screen there is a nanosync tab. Press that then press "enable". Now open up Nanosync on your Mac and click the connect button. You should your iDevice listed.

bnc

Yes to both... Thanks for responding fast though. It doesn't show up and I get POSIX Error: Operation timed out after entering the IP manually. Do I need to have jailbroken or installed anything else for this to work?

formal

No, I was only guessing it might work. I've never gone this route :( You might just have to go to a Starbucks or somewhere that has a wifi network. That's the only thing I can suggest now. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Also you can buy a wifi router for about $20 now-a-days.