randomize presets, virtual midi and recording audio ??? - new user

12 replies [Last post]
gkillmaster

I just purchased NanoStudio and don't see any randomize function for ocreating custom patches. Is this something which could or mighit be added at a later date?

I'm also curious about vitualization (I'm new to the iPad). Is there a way to say record the output from animoog as audio into NS? or similarly, is it possible for me to use thumbjam as my keyboard controller by sending midi virtually to the Eden synth?

If not, are these potential enhancements for future updates?

So far I'm really liking what i see but i've only had it for a couple minutes. :)

best regards,

greg

Blip Interactive

Hi

There's no patch randomization function. I have thought about it from time to time, but main problem was randomising the patchbay area and coming up with anything useful. Maybe this could be solved by randomly choosing between a number of templates for the patchbay, and then deriving the random values for the other controls depending upon the template chosen. I also quite like the idea of some sort of 'genetic' mutation, where it produces (for example) 4 different variations based upon the current preset. You then choose the one you like the most and repeat the process again as required. Probably a lot of work to get right though ...

With regards to your other question about integration, the only viable route you currently have is to use the audio copy/paste functions between compatible apps (ie. copy audio out of one app, paste it into NanoStudio and then set your sequence up to trigger it on a TRG pad).

I realise you're asking more about a realtime solution though. Some apps support virtual MIDI, which allows you to set up an app to receive MIDI messages and then set that app running in the background. You then load up a second (foreground) app and use it to send MIDI messages to the background app. On the audio side, some developers have been working on a standard called audiobus which allows audio routing in the same manner as the virtual MIDI system described above. This is pretty new, but there may be more apps coming out with this soon.

From NanoStudio's point of view, I suppose I always intended for it to be self contained so you can do nearly everything you'd want to in a single app without having to worry about setting up other stuff running in the background, connecting it etc. After dealing with multiple VST's for years and finding them a pain at times, my philosophy was to have a single pick up and play environment (more like Reason I suppose, before they announced that they'd be allowing 3rd party plugins of course!). One day that may have to change, but I couldn't tell you when right now.

David Morton

.. deleted ... (moved)

gkillmaster

Thanks so so much for the comprehensive answer. That leaves me without any followup questions.

I love the idea of it being self contained and for me its probably a blessing in disguise. I'll look forward to whatever evolutions are ahead.

So randomizing is more involved than I imagined. I was imagining you could just randomize that control values (of course this would take some sorting out) that we turn when we modify parameters on the interface. Rarely as easy as it seems :)

Best,

Greg

syrupcore

<droolonthefloor>Matt said "patchbay templates"</droolonthefloor>

MCOBigBen

I love the idea of both randomized and organically grown patches. *drools*

I can't tell you how many tracks I've started by selecting a preset bank, holding down the 'next patch' for a 'random' period of time, and modifying the preset from there.

rafael_ollero

My firts days with Eden was really crazy, I don't understand, but now, I like to work in my patches, sometimes I only tweak a little.

And now I have a question, perhaps is in other part of the forum..ok
This morning need to recod the vocal part for a song, Ben give me the idea to use TRG method
But , do you think to ad Audio tracks to NS?

Blip Interactive

Here's a rough guide:

- Go to the song edit page and set the song loop to the region you wish to record (eg. bars 9-16). You may wish to add a couple of intro bars so you can get ready.
- Go to a TRG instrument with a free pad, tap the edit button and then tap the pad you wish to record the sample to
- Tap the red sample record button
- Choose the Sample tab. Set 'Monitor' to 'Song' and set up loop record/auto normalise according to taste
- Tap record. You will hear your song playing through the headphones as you record.

Finally, you'll need to record/create an event which triggers that pad at the appropriate place in your song.

This sounds a bit lengthy but it's not too bad once you've done it a couple of times.

MCOBigBen

Indeed, you get so used to it that you attempt to record vocals in Hosukai and go "This is too hard and convoluted, I'm going back to NanoStudio where it's easy".

decrepitude

Matt,

If Nano's supposed all-in-one and self contained, then please add performance sequencing to the mix. Sorry to keep pestering you about it, but I want to perform with Nano live - not just 'press play', but change parts on the fly in improv fashion.

Speaking personally, I'd pay another 20 bucks to have this feature. Even more.

Randomization of presets is also on my wishlist, even if it's very simple implementation without mod routing. Thanks for letting me bend your ear once again.

-Mark

koolskull

I've literally done this hundreds of times. lots when I used Reason also... I still think it would be cool to at some point add some wav file editing so you can just cut and past wav forms or something like that. I'd be willing to pay significantly extra for this capability :) . I literally use nanostudio for ALL of my recording needs and songwriting needs. I also use Gameboys and PSP's but Nanostudio is where I finalize everything. it's really great.

(this was in reply to the tutorial for recording vocals)

also, there may be information as to why this hasnt been done, but I'm not well informed enough to be aware as to why there may or may not be an issue with this.

syrupcore

oh yum, patchbay templates. And preset randomization. thanks, spammer, for reviving this thread full of hope.

AyoMartins

Any chance NS2 comes with noise cancellation and Manual pitch correction?

Could really use those, i totally dont want to have to go to Reaper to do that..

That'd make NS the ultimate all in one DAW.. At least for simple users like me..