It's alive!

32 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer! Works for MIDI input only at the moment but it handles note, pitch bend and controller events nicely. The realtime latency looks really good - can't fault it really.

Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer

arnj

oh.. so cool!

arnj

What settings did you have to tweak to get this to work, or is this a beta version of Nano Studio that picks up MIDI?

Also, I wonder if the USB camera kit for iPad would work as well (to pick up USB midi note events)? Apparently, audio is not a problem over USB: http://db.tidbits.com/article/11221

And here's yet another interesting potential device: http://www.iconnectivity.com/

Blip Interactive

The world of USB is a bit of a mystery to me but I think that audio devices work because they use a standard driverless profile.

Does anyone know about USB (musical) keyboards and the type of driver they need?

arnj

I believe you're right about audio over USB, and apparently, MIDI is not a part of the USB spec within the IOS / iPad operating system (not part of the API). Wah...

So we'll probably have to rely on external devices for USB-only (non 5-pin din) midi-out musical controllers unless Apple changes the spec. There are also issues with power that is provided over USB from IOS devices. I'm not sure on the intricacies of how that comes into play with MIDI vs. audio.

shannong

Somebody's got to figure out a USB MIDI solution eventually. All of the portable keyboard controllers that you can plop next to you on the couch or the kitchen table or stuff in your backpack, etc. are mostly USB-only (and usually only USB-powered too). I imagine you'd have some difficulty schlepping that Korg KARMA in your screenshot over to your local pub along with your iPhone just in case you have a brilliant idea involving two hands and open voicings.

I have an iPad camera connection kit and my Korg M3 has a USB MIDI out, so I guess I'll plug it into my iPad in the next day or two and see what happens. Matt, were you using the current GA version of NanoStudio in your tests just now? If it can "see" MIDI input from an external controller, will it know what to do with it?

Meanwhile, since you seem to have some sort of "developer preview" relationship with the Line6 folks, why not pass them the feedback that considering the mobility of iDevice music apps, would they think about coming up with a solid USB MIDI solution too?

Blip Interactive

I've been trying to work out what GA stands for but I give up :) I've had to do a day or two's work to get it running with the MIDI Mobilizer. The UI for setting up MIDI channel/controller mappings is going to take about the same time again.

The iPhone/iPad have no standard MIDI libraries, so they definitely won't automatically know what to do if you plug a USB keyboard in (at least, I'm pretty sure!).

Fmarkow

I am SO loving Nanostudio, and have been dreaming of a MIDI controller in for this. Having it compatible with something like this (Line 6 Mobilizer) would be great, or better yet, as others have noted, a USB input, would absolutely make it amazing (my eyes can only squint at the screen for so long and I ain't buying an iPad..). You would think that, with the myriad of music apps for the iPhone there would be a rush to get a controller solution to market, but alas none appear on the horizon. Whoever does this right is going to make a killing and put a lot of hardware / standalone workstations out of business. I was excited about the Akai SynthStation but they are taking forever to release this. Will this be compatible with Nanostudio?

Plastic Blue

I would just like to bring to your attention the Akai IPK-25

http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation25

which is apparently open-source

dendy

line6 is working ? thats great !

akai ipk support will be mega-kickass-awesome :)

arnj

I love Akai. I hope they're thinking of a Synthstation for the iPad.

(my very 1st synth was the Akai AX80 - a long time ago...lol)

shannong

GA stands for "Generally Available" In the USA software industry, at least, it refers to "gold" software that is no longer in limited alpha/beta release.

e-mail-adressat

Nanostudio and Line 6 Midi Mobilizer, no doubt a perfect match. I am glad you figured out a way to connect the two this fast.
I was thinking though, would it be possible to somehow connect the polyphony of all edens into one - something along the lines of maybe having the option of mapping the midi input sequentially and polyphonically (does that word exist) into the four different edens. It would be crazy to have 32 Stereo Synth Voices on the iPhone and this thing would also be a good alternative to a hardware expander.

edrift3d

When is the Nano version that works with Line 6 going to be ready? - DUH! jus tsaw it's coming in the next update.

LoveAurell

In the middle of september.

hairforce

awesome, i've been hoping this would happen since i first used nanostudio

just ordered a midi mobilizer specifically for this, can't wait to be able to work out sounds and parts anywhere then play them on a keyboard with my band

darwiniandude

iOS 4.2 adds CoreMidi (class compliant USB midi support from desktop OS X)
So this means the iPad Camera Kit thingy should work with driverless USB midi devices eg Edirol, MAudio etc. Should be as simple (in theory) as linking into the CoreMidi API in iOS 4.2...

I've already pre-ordered the Line 6 thing though, want Midi in to NanoStudio asap :)

jeffmoen

I can't get it to work!?!?
What are the settings or procedure or???
Help! It will be great when this works but I hear the support for Midi Mobilizer is yet to come (according to Line 6).
What's the real word on this?

formal

You need to wait for the update to get midi functionality. It is not available in the current version.

FlavIO

Blip, when using the Line6 MIDI Mobilize, will NS respond to note / pad velocity when connected or played from a midi keyboard that supports velocity? My assumption (or hope) would be yes, but could you confirm please? Thanks.

Blip Interactive

Yes it will. All voices (Eden or TRG-16) always respond in terms of volume, and in the Eden patchbay you can add an extra mapping (eg filter cutoff).

FlavIO

That's fantastic, thanks for the quick response Blip. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the update.

Albid

Hi there, I'd like to buy the MidiMobilizer, and a controller but I really can't find a list of compatible controllers.
Does anyone have an idea what kind of controller I have to buy? or at least if it has to have some tech specifications...
Please help!

Blip Interactive

The MIDI controller must have a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI out connector. If it has USB MIDI as well then great (NanoStudio won't use this but it makes the controller more useful for other situations).

The TRG-16 responds to MIDI notes 48-63 which should be C3 to D#4. If the controller has pads that will map to these note numbers then you should be able to play using the controller's pads. If not, then you should be able to play through the keyboard - and make sure you get one that's velocity sensitive, it makes such a difference.

Finally, NanoStudio's controller mapping (XY pads, control sliders/wheels/knobs etc) is pretty flexible so most controllers should be alright there.

If anyone comes across a popular controller which has pads which won't map to the TRG then let me know and I'll try and put in something to sort it on the next update.

trash80

Isnt MIDI note 48 actually C3 and not C2?

Blip Interactive

Er, yes you're right - I looked it up on some random Googled website and I thought it was low but then thought fair enough, they must be right! I've ammended my post above.

Albid

Thank you so much. Great software, great support!

Redrain

I got it ! (midi mobilizer) but I feel latency....yes it must be but for me is a little much of my expectations !

roberto

pulseminus

Latency is just 10ms on my iPad, better than a standard asio driver on PC/Mac...I can't believe it's too much for someone else....even an hardware synth as a similar latency (that cannot ever be 0ms...even if very short, some ms are always needed to produce the sound)....perhaps, such high latency (more than 10ms) could be "felt" running Nanostudio on older idevice...

Blip Interactive

There's an audio buffer latency of 10ms, but the iPhone's accessory interface will incur an extra latency on top of this. How much is it? I'm not sure, I've never measured it. But it's probably not constant, and depends on various system factors.

in5omniak

I have an M-audio O2 and Oxygen 8 V2 that both aren't working. Ideas?