NanoStudio 45min How to Video

27 replies [Last post]
BitBurner

I saw a lot of people asking about tutorials so I thought I would throw one up to get people started. It's about 45min long and In this "how to" I will show you how to start a track from scratch with some free samples and how to use those samples on drum pads and synths. I will also show you how to edit the sequence and add new elements. And how to use the mixer and effects and how to mixdown your final track so you can post it online to Soundcloud and share your creations!

I hope you find this useful :)

http://youtu.be/_ECps0JSqq8

MCOBigBen

Haven't had time to watch it, but I'm going to give you a preliminary "Awesome!" just for taking the job on.

BitBurner

Thanks I wish I would have had something like this to watch when I started. I think I only found one good video and it was really basic and short. Everything else I learned on my own. I hope that I can save someone a little time and they can get right to being creative and using NanoStudio to let that creativity flow without feeling completely lost :) Thanks again.

blarg

BitBurner, thanks! i've been following your releases on youtube. you're one of my favorite "nano" artists... keep it up!

popp1234

Great work BitBurner, really appreciate it!

BitBurner

Wow @blarg thanks that means a lot to me. I have not got very much feedback so I really appreciate the wonderful comment. I plan to do lots more so stay tuned :)

mr eff

Nice Tutorial! Forgot a few cool things I was reminded of. I was wishing you would have sampled your kitty and put him/her in the song haha. One thing is, its a bit long; Maybe if the video was split into a few sections. Don't get me wrong though, very nice and informative. Wish it would have been around a couple of months ago when i first got nanostudio :)

BitBurner

@mr eff haha I was wondering when someone would say something about my cat..lol Yeah I debated cutting it up. But I have done some training video in the past (unrelated) and I had cut stuff out I thought was not too important and people freaked. lol It was then like a mystery and people were making stuff up that went in between. You have to be really careful where you cut it :D I wanted to make sure I captured the whole process as it flowed on this one. Can you imagine if I laid out a whole track :O Thanks for the nice comments :)

MCOBigBen

I would say length is an issue based simply on the fact that I keep meaning to watch this, then I remember it's 45 minutes long, and I never have enough time.

Johnser

Your video is wonderful! I learned SO much from it. I didn't mind the length at all, was quite immersed in it. The iElectribe video was also very helpful. I have managed to bounce beats before but each time I go back I forget how I did it and muddle through all over again. Your video makes it real simple. Would love to see you do a video on how to do it with Sunrizer and NanoStudio.

BitBurner

Yeah I just discovered Sunrizer today :D lol. So yeah stay tuned more to come. I love this app! And thanks for the wonderful comments :)

Slam-Cut

@ BitBurner: Really nice work! I have been using Nanostudio for about a year and a half and was able to learn some new stuff. I will go back and re-watch to get some details on how you modulated the sample. The length was fine. People have the ability to press pause if they get ADHD while watching. I would have cut out the bit about your cat, but I think you are right to keep it in as it shows the use of Nanostudio in the real world and how easy it is to use Nanostudio amid interruptions. Oh yeah, welcome to Sunrizer! Freakin' awesome sounds. Look forward to see a tutorial you might come up with...

One question I had was your fear (hope that is not too strong of a word) of the red. I had always understood that a little bit of occasional hitting the red for the main output would keep the signal hot but not cause any noticeable clipping. This is what I normally do and my mixdowns don't have any clipping I notice, at least not in my car stereo. Not the best listening environment I know... Is there something that I am missing? Is my assumption more for the analog world and not so true of digital recording?

Maybe Matt will chime in with a thought about how Nanostudio handles clipping? I thought I remembered reading in the manual that if Nanostudio detects clipping which would be obviously bad it would give you a notice before completing the mixdown. Did I dream that part up?

Blip Interactive

Ah you'll be wanting page 43 of the manual:

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/downloads/NanoStudioManual%201.32.pdf

To summarise, input meters in the red is fine, output isn't - although you can normally get away with a little. The output clip meter gets activated after about 8 samples in a row have been 'brickwall limited'. I chose this value because it generally gives you an indication of clipping is taking place before you can start hearing it.

Using the VU meters

The VU meters on the input channels show the level of the signal coming into the mixer from each instrument. The VU meter on the output channel shows the level of the final output mix. You must be careful to ensure that the output meter does not go into the red too often, or the output will sound distorted. If the output meter is peaking too much you can choose to reduce the output level or all of the input levels. Ideally, aim for the output signal to very occasionally peak on the red indicators. This will give you the highest volume and generally you will find that you can get away with a small amount of occasional distortion.

Note: When performing a final mixdown to a wav file, NanoStudio will warn you if it thinks that the level of distortion is unacceptable. If you get this warning you may want to try reducing the output fader and perform the mixdown again.

Why is it OK for the input VU meters to go into the red?

NanoStudio internally uses a 32 bit floating point signal path, which has a virtually unlimited dynamic range. However, the output hardware of the device is only 16 bit integer. With this representation, it’s quite easy to exceed the available headroom.

MCOBigBen

>People have the ability to press pause if they get ADHD while watching.

What, are you saying I have a problem staying focused for long enough to......OH! New comment on one of my tracks! BRB.

Stiksi

I don't mind the length but I would cut it up into 10 minute parts. That way you have less patient people hooked on the first part and the following parts will feel like free gifts at the end of the first video.

adoptedson

Way to go on this tutorial! I have a buddy thats just getting started with nanostudio, and I've directed him to your tut. Thumbs up man!

syrupcore

"I would say length is an issue based simply on the fact that I keep meaning to watch this, then I remember it's 45 minutes long, and I never have enough time."

Sclr

Nice. Pretty useful for someone starting out with nanostudio.

Slam-Cut

Thanks Matt! That clarifies it for me, and those reading.

@MCOBigBen: If you are like me... yes. I pressed pause and got back to the tutorial the next day. I think that is a bit easier than finding the parts, in order, on YouTube. That sometimes requires more attention than I can muster.
Oh, was there a comment on one of your tracks? I better go check that out...

BitBurner

Thanks for all the nice comments. I plan to maybe do some more stuff in the future. More focused on different parts :) Yeah Slam I was reading an article in EMM about volume getting higher and higher and controlling it. I have been trying to experiment a little with keeping the volume lower to get more out of it in the equipment I play it on. There is one track I need to remix that is on SC that the highs are just blasting. Just have to find that happy medium. And thanks Matt for the breakdown :)

jminor

Thanks BitBurner, this is a great tutorial, the 45 minutes flew by. For more experienced folks the time may seem too long, if you're new to NanoStudio you'll be happy BitBurner took the time to explain everything as he went along. This tutorial helped me make a quantum leap in knowing the power of NanoStudio.
Thanks again,
John

Arsee

Thank you so much for this I've been using nanostudio for a while now and this has deffinitely helped!

Jeppan74

I have also used NS for a while and suddenly finds out that you have multiple channels om each instruments! Thanx! I have been bitching about this, and now I don´t :)

www.soundcloud.com/jesperjones

BitBurner

Matt do you think this is good enough to pin???

Blip Interactive

Yes definitely, don't know why I didn't before!

BitBurner

Thanks Matt :)

mo'drumm'ins

Great video! I learned so much, I'm going to have to watch it a couple times over so all the information can stick. The link to this video should be included with the manual. Again thanks a lot.

I just tired out adding some effects on my drums. My mind is blown!!!!
This will forever be my go to video nanostudio has got to be my most favorite app

thelittlelaughingman

-
The video looks good, I'll watch it fully tomorrow. Thanks for putting it together. :)