NanoStudio V1.30 beta for OS X and Windows now available!

62 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

It's probably not a problem with your audio unit. The OS X version has only been thoroughly tested on precisely one system (my Mac Mini) so it could easily have issues with other setups - one of the many reasons the desktop version's released for free. If you have any buffer settings, sample rates etc. you can play with it might be worth changing them to see if makes a difference. If you find a setting that works then I may be able to figure out what's going on.

Artmuzz

Yeah, i think it isn't a problem with my audio unit too because Reason, Logic Pro and Ableton Live play fine through my Saffire Audio Unit. So maybe as you said because it was tested on just one system maybe it has problems with external audio units.

Anyway, I am so looking forward to the iPad release. Apps like NanoStudio made it worthwhile for me to buy an iPad and iPod Touch. Keep up the good work.

eljefe300300

I am experiencing some weird bugs on my macbook pro. 1. if an autosave for the last closed project exist, i cant click anywhere. 2. I deleted the autosave and it starts right up, buuut, the screen is rotated 90 degrees. I mean, the menu bar is still at the top, but to get it clicked i gotta click my mouse pointer up and down the left side of the screen. Im on mac os x 10.6.8 intel core 2 duo. could this be a display setting?

Blip Interactive

What resolution are you running at? If you're down at 800x600 or so then there's a known issue when it scales the display graphically but not in terms of touch/pointer position - I'll fix it before the final V1.3 goes live but I wanted to get the iOS version out first.

Try running the phone version and maximizing the display. If that works OK, I reckon that's the problem.

MCOBigBen

Awesome stuff! Looking forward to this update, and I don't own an iPad.

>* Manual needs an update

Yeah, you wouldn't want to inspire any profanity laced tirades in the Support forum. :P

Blip Interactive

Don't worry, I've added :

Appendix B : Commonly Used Profanities So You Don't Have To Bother

syrupcore

I know it's too late for stuff but I'd love to see the 'loop to selection' button on the menu bar at the bottom in wider versions of the app at some point in the future - I use it all the time.

For what it's worth, I pretty much never use the 'draw' button in the song view, only in the edit part view. The exact opposite is true in edit part mode - I don't use loop to selection there. I know it'd be confusing to move draw to the 'more' menu in one view but not the other but if I had my druthers, I'd do just that.

Stiksi

I actually use the draw button pretty much in both the song and part views. Especially when I'm doing drums I just tap a few parts and fill them in.

But mostly, having the draw button in view all the time comes in handy when you realise you're in draw mode when you don't want to be. I'd hate for it to be in a menu when that happens…

eljefe300300

running at 1280x800, not super worried about it, really excited for universal ipad version. Just wanted to report the bug.

syrupcore

Yeah, very good point about draw also being an indicator. I only notice it when I hit it by mistake! So you draw blank parts and then go to more->properties->pattern or something?

Makes me wonder about analytics when it comes to this sorta who-uses-what stuff. I'd actually click 'OK' were nanostudio to ask me about collecting anonymous usage data.

(I'd still like loop to selection to permanently live down there when I succumb to the iPad.)

m2n2l2

> Appendix B : Commonly Used Profanities So You Don't Have To Bother

I might be able to assist with this one (:

Stiksi

"Yeah, very good point about draw also being an indicator. I only notice it when I hit it by mistake! So you draw blank parts and then go to more->properties->pattern or something?"

Yes, pretty much. It's something that's probably stuck with me from the tracking days: Create a new pattern, fill it in, loop it. Loop to selection is right up there with draw in my usage. As is "Select -> Add to" which I have to turn on and off constantly. Dragging just doesn't work as well for me because I'm selecting tiny stuff in between tiny stuff.

A customizable bottom row of buttons would be best but I'm not too sure Blip would have the time to support such a thing.

lagares

Hi there...

quick question...

on the current version of nanosynth I can add for effects now I see one's been filled with return(from where?) ... so what will happen with songs that use the four slots with compressors, eq, verbs, and delays?

thanks !!

edit: I just discovered that this is just on the master fader !!! I love that all my mistakes lead me to something good.... love the chain loading !!!

Blip Interactive

Yep, on the output one of the slots is reserved for the point where the returns will be mixed in. This isn't saved or loaded, it's always there.

syrupcore

Someone has already used the beta version in a song video. :) http://www.palmsounds.net/2011/11/terminator-in-nanostudio.html

syrupcore

"As is "Select -> Add to" which I have to turn on and off constantly."

yeah, same. reminds me of an old wish of mine:
Double tap select to toggle "add to".
Double tap zoom to 'zoom all'.
Double tap draw for 'let me draw this one thing and then stopping being in draw mode, ok buddy?'

dreznicek

Syrupcore: agree with these 100%!!!!

"don't forget the double tap" - Zombieland

syrupcore

Been working on a song in the desktop beta tonight - my first time using it to actually do something. It's pretty luxurious to have all the space. Vertical zooming in the song editor is a huge win. Also really into saving effects in the mixer! I've used it as an elaborate copy/paste a few times already.

I can't wait to play with the keyboard scale stuff on my phone. Mouse isn't doing it justice. Is there a way to set the root key as well as the scale?

Editing a trg pad is a little weird for me because of the audio triggering when you switch the target pad. Not too big a deal with drum samples but if you have a longer loop assigned to a pad, it plays back in it's entirety. I think I'd more often than not prefer that they were silent when in the edit mode. Maybe for the first tap only?

I've also run into a bug, I think. The 'snap to' toggle in the part editor doesn't seem to retain it's state. I managed to trick it at one point by turning off the grid and then back on and then toggling the snap to box. or something like that.

Blip Interactive

Damn, you're right about the 'snap to' checkbox. I actually went for a tentative submission last night with a plan to continue testing today - looks like I'll have to cancel that and re-submit. Thanks for spotting that.

You can change the root key for the scales by using the transpose on the settings page.

I know what you mean about the pad playing when you select it for editing, I wasn't quite sure about this either. I could maybe change it so that the first tap is silent, and then subsequent taps will play the pad so you can audition changes if you wish. It'd be a quick change.

Thomas A.

> You can change the root key for the scales by using the transpose on the settings page.

In a future release it would be cool to get a shortcut like this: While holding the selected scale type in the list, touch the root key on the keyboard.

Blip Interactive

Ok changed both of those in about 5 minutes - now just another hour or two to test, rebuild and re-submit :)

vonHoward

Bring on checking app store updates every 15 mins for the next 2 weeks !!!

Stiksi

Congrats, Blip, job well done!

syrupcore

Blip Interactive

syrupcore

Nah man, just getting it submitted is epic. Wait for it to compile, click the 45 buttons to submit it, get pissed off at apple for a bit, get relieved once you see 'submitted', tell your family you love them and then go get stinking drunk. Also, please, be sure to reply to stuff here while your vision is severely impaired.

m2n2l2

I like to live on the edge

./me pats Matts back

Zupi

Submited!?!
Yay!! Thanks a lot for your work and mostly for your calming patience!... while pointing to manual's references. lol
Great work, BIG THANKS... and many pats. :)

darwiniandude

Love your work. Can't wait for update to appear.

Johwil

NP Notch filter?