NanoStudio V1.30 alpha for OS X and Windows now available!

103 replies [Last post]
Artmuzz

Hmm strange I could of sworn that NanoStudio 1.21 played fine though my Focusrite Saffire but when I tried it there is the same static and crackle. Reason, Logic Pro and iTunes plays fine through the Focus rite Saffire though. Hmm strange.

Blip Interactive

@pablo64 - What you say with regards to the positioning of the octave up/down buttons does make some sense, but I'm reluctant to go fiddling with them now. There are other factors too though - having them stacked vertically means that swiping them up or down to go to the top or bottom is possible, and I quite like having the scale drop down button immediately above the list that drops down. Additionally, the mixer and effects rack now follows a similar format for consistency and trying to come up with a consistent scheme which works across all pages in all formats and all layouts is a bit like herding cats. Additionally, existing users will be used to this and I think it only takes a few seconds to learn. Bottom line : I have thought about it :)

Distraub

Matt,

So is that a no go to the effects presets for the mixer because of the iphone version?

-Alex

Blip Interactive

Ah hello, sorry meant to reply and then got lost on something else. I've put this on my list 'cos there's room on the effects chain for save/load buttons (tablet/desktop). I'll see if I've got time, I agree it's totally useful.

pablo64

Thanks for the reply Matt.

Fully understand your point about the octave buttons and realise you can't implement every request from your users. The fact that you even give us the opportunity to get involved is great!

A quick question about the future of Bank/Patch selection. How do you see this working in a live context? Could there be a way of quickly selecting a specific patch on the fly without having to scroll through banks of sounds to get to it? I quite like the fact that in the 1.2 version you can jump from say Bank C to Bank A without having to go via bank B. In reality the new version only requires a couple of quick taps to do the same thing but if you intend to make the Banks (infinitely) expandable in the future it might be more of a problem jumping from Bank W Preset 45 to Bank D Preset 19 if the only method is scrolling. Would it be worth considering a future version optimised for live use?

Blip Interactive

The change to the bank buttons was really there to possibly pave the way in future for extra banks since the previous solution wouldn't have scaled. For live use, I suppose you should probably be arranging your presets into the same bank (eg. the project) rather than spreading them across multiple banks. The ultimate solution would be an extra 'manage' button to drop down a much bigger bank/preset select/arrange dialogue. Maybe another time ...

sharc

Really enjoying playing around with this. All working great so far :)

The instruments are a lot quicker to program with less page switching.

Also really like the addition of mute / solo on the mixer. Would be great to have those recordable - maybe linked into volume automation?

Distraub

Matt,

Thanks, good to hear it is on the list, fingers crossed that it makes it in.

Alex

JoE2O1O

Hi Matt,

a couple things ive noticed...

the new blue indicator line in the main menu stays on the last instrument you were in (trg/eden) even when you open the manage,mixer,song views is this how its supposed to be?

and..

on the keyboard the more character button labelled ".?123" doesn't seem to actually have an "." or "?" button.. is this just me being stupid? :P

anyway the more i play with this update the more i apreaciate how much effort you put into adding the little things that you dont even mention that make the app so much better.

thanks, Joe.

autorhythm

@Matt:
I've noticed a bug.

In the tablet version, mixer section: if you click in the upper part of each FX section, MUTE will be activated - and in the lower part, SOLO will be activated which should not be able in my opinion

tom2000

@tom_tm

the dot in your folder name generates the mistake.

rename your folder "v1.3" to "v13" then it should work. i had the same problem.

t

Blip Interactive

@JoE2O1O - You're the first to mention the blue line indicator on the main menu, I wondered if it might come up. I recently added that because I found myself getting a bit lost if I had lots of instruments. The idea is that it shows you the last instrument you were using, excluding the mixer. So if you hop over to the song or the mixer it's a reminder of the last instrument you were on if you want to hop back again.

The keyboard excludes certain symbols (such as /?:* etc.) which are illegal for file names. When you're using the keyboard to rename an instrument or patch, you'll have access to these characters.

@autorhythm - Yes, the whole width of the mixer channel is a touch area for the mute/solo buttons. The bit I haven't done yet is the ability to swipe sideways to mute or solo multiple channels. It can seem a bit funny when you've got a nice accurate mouse pointer but I think it'll be OK with a fat finger. The FX part is an indicator rather than a button so I don't think there's any point in having a 'dead area' there - it'll increase your chances of muting/solo'ing when you want to, particularly on the phone.

@the Toms - Good call about the dots in the folder names, my amateurish AppleScript is obviously a bit crap. I'll have to sort it out!

JoE2O1O

ahh now you've explained the blue line indicator it makes perfect sense... and i can see it coming in useful because i am extremely forgetful.

And same with the keyboard.

again awesome work on this update really liking it :))

syrupcore

I keep thinking that if I click the fx button it'll toggle them on and off for that channel. Maybe removing the inner shadow or disassociating it with the mute/solo buttons would make it clearer.

TotteG

Hi Matt!
I tried the Phone version 1.3 Alpha on Windows.
On the mixer there's just a Mute button, with both Mute & Solo functions.
I get very random resualts when I click on it, sometimes 3 mutes then 2 solo, then 10 mutes 3 solo and vice versa.

Stiksi

@ syrupcore: Or maybe it should just toggle :)

I'm still rooting for making the actual fx spaces clickable. As in, "hold HERE to add an effect here, not below in the chain". But probably not for this update.

JoE2O1O

hi Matt i forgot to ask whether your gonna make the mute and solo buttons in the song editor multi touch so that you can enable more than one at a time? :))

Blip Interactive

@TotteG - On the phone, the mute button is double tap to solo and single tap to mute. I reckon you've probably got your mouse settings set up for a fairly slow double click - if you leave longer between each click (or change the speed in your Windows settings) then it'll work as expected. Double taps on the phone need to be quite a bit faster than the Windows default setting.

@Stiksi - Having the empty effect space clickable (or hold?) does make loads of sense I agree. The main reason it's as it is now is that it's a way of telling new users the general method used to change or delete effects. ie. I'm afraid that if they add an effect in this way, they'll never understand how to remove or change if thereafter. I've never been happy with with this though. Maybe the text help on the status bar when you touch the effects chain is enough to remind people, but in my experience not a lot of people read this.

@JoE2O1O - I don't know if I can easily make the song editor mute/solo's multitouch (it's getting pretty nasty in there now with a large history of changes!) but I'm hoping to at least make them draggable if there's time.

Stiksi

I get it, you'd be submerged in a sea of complaints with the line: "I can't delete effects, what a ripoff!" :D You probably would too…

I think there's a solution to this, but I can't see it yet.

TotteG

Ok, I get it, doubleclick, great :-D

The mousebutton on my laptop are a bit stiff...

Thankx

davlinste

Matt

On the iPhone/iTouch version would it not be better to split the mute button to two buttons one with 'M' and another with 'S'? There looks like enough room for you to do that rather than having to double click/tap to get solo....

Blip Interactive

@davlinste - If they're split horizontally I really think they're too fiddly (plus swiping sideways makes less sense), and if they're stacked vertically the volume fader gets reduced to comedy size.

Blip Interactive

@Distraub - The load/save effects chain problem was easy in the end - the buttons have gone on the 'Select Effect' dialogue which had plenty of space (including extra space for an extra 'Clear effects chain' button to remove the lot). I like this because not only does it work on the phone, it also unifies the method between the mixer and the 'apply effects to sample' page.

syrupcore

Oh man, thank you!

pablo64

Hi Matt,

Currently when launching Nanostudio we are given the option to load either 'my last saved' project or 'auto saved' project. Would it be possible to add an option to load a 'new project' from the launch screen rather than having to load the last project only to then delete it by loading a new project from the 'manage' page? Starting a new project is something I frequently want to do upon launching NS.

Blip Interactive

I'm happy to add that if others agree it's useful. The only thing I'd be slightly worried about it offering too many confusing choices on that first dialogue. I sometimes think that some users (particularly those without good English) might already be thinking 'whoa, what's all this then?' when faced with that dialogue, although it's a bit better since the wording got changed a couple of versions back and I added the last autosaved version to the dialogue.

What do people think?

m2n2l2

+1 for new project.

Yes, I tend to start new ones a lot too.

LoveAurell

Yes that would be useful, in my opinion.

Stiksi

I suppose there's no hope for dB and Hz units on the sequencer automation pages for this update? How about a line for 0dB in mixer fader automation?

Thomas A.

New project button would be nice.