NanoStudio V1.30 alpha for OS X and Windows now available!

103 replies [Last post]
cyberheater

Yay. It works :)

twinsinmind

Do not get me wrong dude... but i just asked and paid second time for the 16 track update.
so its not that i don't wanna pay. I am PRO paying but what if ....

i just paid for 16 tracks in iphone version on my ipad 2
i already paid the app and the upgrade on my ipod

now i would pay for the update from this to ipad which will be a totally new app..
so then again we should pay for the 16 tracks option...

Resulting me paying The app = twice
the upgrade = three times

syrupcore

I feel you, that would blow. I was just being snarky. rejoice: it's free.

The extra paying you did was presumably because of different iTunes accounts on each device and apple's rules/setup, not blip's.

yentz

works fine on my old macbook pro 15 inch with snow leopard.
small but very useful enhancements. zoombuttons (i am not sure maybe i just havent seen them before) are a great addition as even after getting into the workflow i found myself struggeling with switching between move/zoom and edit tools.

pquenin

Is this a bug : the scales have no effect when you use a external midi keyboard, they work only with the buil-in keyboard...

pquenin

Oh, the new button on the Eden keyboard, that move the keyboard note by note : it has no effect ! (i'm on Windows XP).

pquenin

Sorry, I have just understood how this button work, all is fine !

dendy

works fine on my OSX 10.7.2 ..

everything looks great except of one thing which is for me big dissapointment :-( height of tracks in sequencer track view .. they are too big .. i was hoping that it will be possible to have lot more tracks in view displayed, with tracks with small height .. Why is this still limited to just to max 6 tracks ?

all other parts are great and can't wait for having this on my ipad. . just vertical track zoom in track view is disapointment for me :-(

Blip Interactive

@Dendy - you can zoom out in the song editor to see all 128 tracks if you wish. How many track do you have in your song? It will limit the zoom according to the number of tracks you have.

@pquenin - The scales are via the UI only currently.

dendy

aaah i'm dumb :-))) sorry, i had today hard work day and my brain is don't working anymore :-)) i added new instruments into project and now i see zoom works as expected ... sooryy..

then.. everything is perfect :-)

Blip Interactive

Perfect? Come on, I know you guys too well now .. there's always 'just one more thing' :)

pquenin

What I really appreciate on the iPad version, is that you don't have to scroll all the Eden pages to change the presets...
But the pitch bend wheel is still not visible on some pages, maybe you can add a setting to have the pitch bend wheel on the lower or upper keyboard...
I'm am also used to have a modulation wheel...

dendy

Matt: What i found really awesome is the way how you rearranged things so now at lot places there is lot new free space to add new awesome features :-) i think at least next one - two years you don't need make any big changes in GUI interface and you will able without problem to add new features and tweaks .. the main goal for this update was removing GUI limits and make it universal - from this point of view you was 100% sucessfull and it IS perfect, or really close (99.99%) to perfection.. also when i compare gui and layout of control elements to other nowaday DAWs on iPad (i buyed all of them :-)), Nanostudio is leader, without any discussion ..

other stuff from wishilst task, okay there is lot ideas for improvement, everybody wants something small, there will be still new and new requests - that's normal :) .. there also also few major big tasks (audio tracks, midi out) - which will be maybe goals more for 2.0 version than 1.x .. that is future .. but the graphical redesign, which you did, is simply great ...

Blip Interactive

Cheers dude. It really has felt like a law of diminishing returns with regards to UI space. I remember when I already thought it was fully loaded when V1.0 came out, yet somehow a load more stuff has gone in. I'll admit to finding the universal thing really, really difficult. Nothing ever seemed to fit on any one page properly, or if it did, I'd end up with some controls left over looking lonely on their own. Or alternately, I'd do something which made sense on the iPad only to find I was faced with a new problem on the phone. Also, I didn't want things to differ so radically between devices that writing alternate manuals became a massive chore or giving support got confusing. I'm actually quite glad it's almost over :)

twinsinmind

get it out there Blip, i think its release ready.
ofcourse there are always new things we would like to see.... midi out , vst support lol etc...
but its ipad not pc.

So its already the best sequencer on iphone..... i am happy what with you have now.
Once you released it you can concentrate without pressure to add new things over time.

btw: i excuse myself if i sounded like i don't wanna spent money. but i would prefer to
spent the whole money on you and not on apple who take a big part of the income.

What about making a "donate button"?

Blip Interactive

Almost - just found a bug in the tablet/desktop version where the TRG pad name doesn't update after you've recorded a sample. I'm sure there are others!

pablo64

I put this in the wrong thread before so here it is again.

Thanks Matt, a nice update which adds some really useful features. Looking forward to getting the mixer mutes/solos on my iPod Touch!

I've been playing with it for a while on my laptop and have a couple of suggestions:

All Versions.
Scrolling keyboard. This is a great feature but I personally think it would be better to have the octave shift buttons to the left and right of the keyboard where the new icons are and put those where the oct shift buttons currently are with scale select above slide lock.

Windows Version.
Now that you have some dedicated buttons for the Mixer, Sequencer and Manage page I wondered if it might be possible to associate those more closely to the buttons on the Synthstation 25 in some way so that they mimic the placement and behaviour, e.g. if you hid the tempo and quantize buttons perhaps you could shuffle everything to the left and have 4 dedicated buttons on the top right of the screen that work exactly the same way as the SS25 buttons. Dare I suggest framing them with an orange glow to indicate selection?
I think this would make it very intuative to use when continuing with a project that was started on iPhone and SS25.

syrupcore

I imagine it's related to what you've already discovered but the trg pad name doesn't update when you've done a 'save as' after editing an existing sample either - desktop version anyway.

tom_tm

Sorry for being dense, but I just downloaded the new OSX build, and installed it over the previous build. Double clicking the tablet shortcut brings up a window to say that the app doesn't exist (although clicking the main app file works fine). Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

starcorp

whatfor is the dark grey empty space in the mixer below the four effects, over the effects chain?
more effects to come? maybe its a resolution problem on the laptop or is there room to make the faders longer?

anyway, it runs good under win7/64.
regards jan

edit: i see, i have to scroll in the ipad version

Stiksi

@ tom_tm: At least for me it only works if I have all three files from the .dmg in Documents/Nanostudio.

m2n2l2

Well, the first time I used the beta I did notice in the TRG sample menu the load/edit/record words get eaten a little if you scale the window downwards. W7/64bit

Eagerly waiting for the ipad version already, the beta makes ios version look crummy now x)

tom_tm

@Stiksi...

No I did that. But it's still not working. I just get;

"The file/v1.3/Nanostudio.app does not exist"

I had the folder in applications (containing all three), and then moved it to documents. Still no joy.

Maybe I'll try straight from the dmg?

......hehe that worked! So open it from the DMG. don't copy it? Okay. :)

Blip Interactive

@syrupcore - "... the trg pad name doesn't update when you've done a 'save as' after editing an existing sample either - desktop version anyway." Yep, that's the same bug under a different guise but thanks anyway.

@m2n2l2 - Yes, if you start making the window very small then a few undesirable things start to happen. I'm primarily interested in making sure that the phone and tablet versions look good at their default sizes - if some Android/Windows tablet comes along in future with acceptable audio latency and a screen size of 800x600 then I'll look at making the other sizes better too!

@tom_tm - Strange, I've just tried dragging all three apps out of the dmg and into a test folder on the desktop and they all work OK for me. It's also OK if I drag all three to the Applications folder. Only NanoStudio.app is the 'proper' app - the other two are really Apple scripts masquerading as apps. They call the main app, and they expect it to be in the same folder as they are.

ReverendP

I downloaded the Windows version but I can't seem to find the iphone version shortcut. Please advise. Thanks.

*Found it.

Blip Interactive

Was it down the back of the sofa?

tom_tm

No worries Matt. I got it working (it could be a permissions thing- but I did a permissions repair the other day...?), I got it working so that's the important thing.

Time to play. :)

Artmuzz

Looks very good but there is a problem when I play any sound there is static and crackles in the background. I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8

UPDATE: The problem seems to be with my Focusrite Saffire FireWire sound unit as NanoStudio 1.3 plays fine without any static and crackles on my iMac's internal speakers.

tom2000

hey.

version 1.3 is big time as tablet version! I LIKE IT.

i'm still missing stereo samples in the "sampler oscillator setting" of EDEN.
every imported stereo sample is played back as mono, different from TRG, which plays back stereo files as stereo.

any chance in the near future?

Tom

Blip Interactive

@Artmuzz - Have you ever used an older version of NanoStudio (eg. V1.21) on your Mac before, and if so did it work OK?