NanoStudio V1.30 alpha for OS X and Windows now available!

103 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

*** PLEASE NOTE *** The V1.30 beta is now available. Please go here instead:

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/2443

*** COMMENTS ON THE OLD ALPHA VERSION BELOW ***

Blip Interactive

FOR OS X USERS:

1. When you first run the app from the disk image, you may need to check the box which says, "Don't warn me when opening applications on this disk image". If you don't do this, the phone/tablet versions may not start up.

cyberheater

nano studio desktop and tablet version crashes as soon as I launch them. iPhone version works.

I'm on OSX 10.7.2

Error is:-
21/11/2011 15:55:41.040 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x2b02b].co.uk.blipinteractive.NanoStudio[406]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error: 10

Blip Interactive

Hmm strange. If you can spare the time, is there any chance you could mail me a crash report? There are instructions for how to find them here:

http://serato.com/articles/scratchlive/6600/how-to-get-a-crash-log-in-ma...

The file should be called something like NanoStudio(some numbers).crash

You can send it to contact@blipinteractive.co.uk

Thanks!

cyberheater

Okay. Have mailed the crash report.

Blip Interactive

Thanks so much - do you know what your screen resolution is set to?

cyberheater

1280 x 800. It's a 13inch macbook pro.

Sven

All 3 work fine on OSX 10.6.8 (snow leopard)

Since I've been recently playing with Thumbjam the new scales are a welcome addition... I would suggest a bit of color coding like they do for the natural 5ths and stuff.
Apart from that.. I'm just starting to dig in. :D

Distraub

Do we have enough room to do the effects presets in the mixer now? please please :)

munichdobe

I've tested both Windows and OS X and they both work fine.

Windows XP Professional
OS X 10.7.2

I'll try Windows 7 on my lunch break, but so far so good. I'll try to put a track together also to see if I run into any bugs.

But so far so good. Looks like I'll be selling my iPod Touch 4 to get an iPad :-)

Stiksi

Ok, so this version has to be in Documents/Nanostudio? I tried putting it into a different folder – main app works as expected but the iPad and iPhone versions say "The files /2.3 and /Alpha/Nanostudio.app do not exist."

cyberheater

@ munichdobe

What type of mac have you got?

TotteG

Works great on both my XP & Windows 7 machines :-D

Thanx!!! Love Nanostudio.

munichdobe

@ cyberheater

I'm running a 2011 mac mini.

tom_tm

Brilliant! Cheers for all the hard work Matt! :)

Blip Interactive

@cyberheater - I haven't got your mail yet but I'm working along the lines of screen resolution vs. the app's desired window size being the issue. It's the most likely common factor between the tablet and desktop version.

@Stiksi - It's taken me most of the day to hack together the 'phone' and 'tablet' options on the Mac and maybe they're still not quite right. Make sure that the three 'apps' (NanoStudio-Phone.app, NanoStudio-Tablet.app, Nanotudio.app) are in the same folder. On Windows it was as simple as two shortcuts to run the main app with the right options, but on OS X I had to write an app to call an app and then jump through some silly hoops to work out what folder they're in. Complete nonsense. If you wish, you can probably run the tablet/phone versions from Terminal with something like this:

open NanoStudio.app --args -phone
open NanoStudio.app --args -tablet

... making sure you're in the right directory first, or prepend the full path to 'NanoStudio.app' in the examples above.

tom_tm

Matt, is there a reason for the faders being so short? I found the previous faders not that high in resolution. Is that anything to do with it?

Also in the song screen, the part move and extend edit buttons do appear to be rather close to each other. Do you think they should be slightly wider apart?

tom_tm

ps 'resolution', I mean audio resolution- not graphics :)

nicolectro

Hey, thxs to you for this new version. It seems to work great on an imac 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 with mac os x 10.6.7. Will try this at home tonight.
Excellent job and excellent app!!!!!!!!!

Blip Interactive

@tom_tm - Are you talking about the faders on the desktop version? If so, then yes they could probably do with getting stretched as the window increases in size but the desktop isn't my priority right now. The faders are pretty well as large as they can be on the phone and tablet versions running at 480x320 and 1024x768, which you can trial yourself by running these versions and not resizing the window from its initial value.

The drag handles could probably be moved out a little more on the tablet version. I wanted them fairly close to the centre so you can go in either direction from their initial positions.

munichdobe

I agree with tom_tm about the part move/extend on the iPad version being too close together. I don't see it being too much of a problem the way it is, but I think with the extra space it wouldn't hurt to move them away from each other just a bit.

syrupcore

I'm getting the crash you mentioned on a 1200x800 mbp. If I run it from the command line, I get this error (in case it's revealing or something):
Bus error: 10

I love(!!!) that you can drag both keyboards arbitrarily in the dual view.

Blip Interactive

I reckon 'Bus Error: 10' is about as useful as those Star Trek computers which say 'insufficient data, does not compute' :)

tom_tm

Matt...

I was referring to the desktop version mirroring the iPad version- ie this is what the iPad version will eventually look like. Maybe I missed something concerning the two in a previous post? I thought they were the same- until you pointed out that the handles could be dragged for resizing- something you wouldn't be able to do on the iPad version! hehe.

But it would be nice to be able to do a nice gentle fade in/out rather than there being a point where you can tell an audible difference between 'signal on' and 'signal off' (I'm too used to analogue mixing desks!)

I'm not really bothered about the desktop version as I am with the iPad version either. :)

"The drag handles could probably be moved out a little more on the tablet version. I wanted them fairly close to the centre so you can go in either direction from their initial positions."

Yes, good point. It's up to you of course, but I know some people do have fatter fingers! ;)

Tom

Blip Interactive

As you point out, the iPad can't be resized! By running the 'NanoStudio Tablet' version and leaving the window size alone, this is what you'll be getting on the iPad.

Stiksi

Am I dreaming or do mutes work instantaneously now? Wow!

antrabbit

Loving the iPad look great work.

From a personal performance point of view on the iPad I would love to have the loop button visible at all times rather than having it in the drop down menu as I use it quite a lot in live performance. Or maybe an option to keep it displayed if desired. The undo is less important when performing live.

EDIT: Should have looked at the iPad screen shots first, as it looks like you've already done it. Brilliant.

Blip Interactive

V1.3 Alpha-2 is now available for OS X. This should fix the problem of the app crashing on startup for display resolutions of 1280x800 or less.

Download NanoStudio V1.3 alpha-2 for OS X

Please note that if you run the tablet/desktop versions on very low resolution displays (800x600 or less), you will probably find that the touch (er, mouse) position no longer lines up correctly, but this something to fix in future once the iOS version is finished.

twinsinmind

Runs Perfectly on win7 64bit. old projects start and run fine.

i can only hope that you implement some new things too if it will become a paid update from
iphone to ipad

munichdobe

I know this is probably asking too much... but a spectrum analyzer would make make this the greatest app on the planet. I mean, it already is but that would make it that much better :-)

syrupcore

Even though it's a free update for iPad owners, I think you should figure out a way to charge twinsinmind.