NanoStudio V1.3 alpha-1 for Windows now available!

33 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

You can download it from here:

NanoStudio V1.3 alpha-1 for Windows

The setup will install three shortcuts:

- NanoStudio
- NanoStudio (Phone)
- NanoStudio (Tablet)

The first one is the one you will normally want to run for 'everyday' use on your computer. It uses smaller graphics and a layout best suited to mouse operation.

The other two shortcuts will run NanoStudio in a mode which is representative of the phone and tablet versions. Although the window will start off at the same size as the respective device (either 480x320 or 1024x768), you are still free to resize it within certain limits.

This is an alpha version so there's still plenty of testing and some further work to be done. The main reason for putting it out there now is to give everyone a chance to try it out. I hope this will result in some useful feedback and maybe help me spot a bug or two.

The project format is unchanged from V1.21 to you can use this instead of (or alongside) V1.21 without issues.

If you've made it this far then you're probably wondering what's going on with the OS X version. Fear not, this will be released in the next 12-24 hours once I've had some sleep and figured how to get shortcuts to work like the Windows version :)

m2n2l2

:D

m2n2l2

I already love it. Especially the undo button. Took 3 seconds to find bpm (:

lagares

damm it !!,

can't wait to put my fingers on those pads !!

working nice here....

except all the empty spaces, like on the mixer.... can we resize the faders?
I know I know this is not suppose to be for desktop :)

great work mr Blip !!!

lagares

things I love:

how you display the parameter assignment table, next to the fx... very elegant !!!
the scales !!!! can't way to play with it on the actual iPad !!!
the xy pads showing by default !! can't wait ...

things that can be better:

autozoom to fit all tracks(sequencer view) when added new ones..
resize the mixer fader size (maybe different zoom levels for diff devices)

congrats again!

pablo64

Matt,

Can it be installed without removing the existing Windows version? I'd like to keep that on my computer for now if possible.

Don't stay up all night..... ;-)

haunted sleep

Tried the demo and liked it a lot. The increased working space in the song editor and part editor is definitely appreciated, as well are the bug fixes and interface tweaks. Can't wait to have this on my iPad.

m2n2l2

I like the way it enhances the workflow. You can access a lot more stuff now, tap into the synth/trg from mixer and sequencer view and undo last take, even if none of us really ever make mistakes playing stuff (:

lagares

sorry it does autozoom.... I just needed to open from the startmenu... tablet version

cool !!

syrupcore

congrats!

Starcaster

It looks great. Can't wait for the iPad version.....drool....
I notice that the double keyboards have more than an octave overlap. Wouldn't it be better with less overlap and more range? Unless of course the option to do this is inbuilt and I've missed it.

dendy

can't wait for OSX version to try it :-))

moss

Wow! This is really great! I can't believe that it zooms full screen on windows!

I own a Lenovo X220 which has a touch screen (Windows 7 64 bit). While it works fine with mouse control, the touch control has some problems. All knobs and sliders work great but
- if I play the drum pads they play fine but if I record them there is nothing recorded.
- The Eden keyboard does not work at all

This would be the best (and first) touchscreen DAW for Windows if you would add:
- support for ASIO drivers
- support for using the PC keyboard:
* shortcuts (including ESC, DEL, ...)
* entering text for file saving
- add a full screen mode (by pressing F11 key like in a lot of other programs)

I would definitively be willing to pay for that!

Thomas A.

It seems that the vertical zoom setting will not be stored in the project. Is this a bug or a feature?

Blip Interactive

Right, I've had my 8 hours sleep and I should be back on the case with the OS X version shortly :)

From reading the comments so far, it's reassuring that most of them are gripes about how it's not a full desktop application rather than how it's an inadequate tablet version!

Some quick answers:

- Faders can't be resized on the desktop. They are set up to be the 'right size' on iPhone/iPad though (you can run these versions to see this)
- You can install the V1.30 to a different folder to V1.21 if you wish, but they will both share the same data folder (which isn't a problem for the app)
- You can change the double keyboard's 'overlap' by using the new scroll button (small grey round button beneath octave up/down buttons)
- The desktop version doesn't natively support touchscreens, so if you have one (Lenovo X220?) then it will be emulating the mouse. I doubt the (free) desktop version will ever support native touch screens or a decent keyboard interface because I'd be shooting myself in the foot (in terms of making money) for Windows tablets in future!

Couple of things to improve so far:

- Sequencer vertical zoom to fit tracks when adding new ones
- Sequencer vertical zoom remembered in project

tom_tm

"Right, I've had my 8 hours sleep"

You actually manage to sleep? Even get eight hours?! ;)

Looking forward to the OSX version too. :D

Thomas A.

It would be really useful if more (or better: all) current zoom settings will be memorised in the project

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/70?page=10#comment-14154

cyberheater

Really looking forward to the OSX version. I've got a day off today and the kids are at school so I'm good to go if I can manage to pull myself away from Skyrim.

Stiksi

Yup, I just bought Live 8 but this is what I'm actually waiting for! Reading this forum, you get a couple of extra christmases a year :D

And "remember all zoom settings" sounds like a killer idea.

Jim Hanks

Lovin' the new look! Scales are way cool! Are those multiple note lanes in the Song View? Whoa - wasn't expecting that!

You might want to add a safety measure on the "delete note lane" button to make the user confirm the delete if the lane is not empty. Or let Undo "undelete". Oh, I see you can "undelete" with the History button. Ok, that's not so bad.

Small idea - in the Mixer view, clicking the FX button could bypass the effects.

Can't wait to have this on the iPad!

Blip Interactive

The multiple note lanes have always been there but I tidied them up a little because they looked pretty horrible before! I think it's just better to have an undo (as it has now) rather than a confirm dialogue. That way the 'normal use case' requires less taps.

An FX bypass would be handly but it'd be too fiddly on the phone, plus I want to try and get in 'drag sideways to mute multiple channels' before the final release.

Blip Interactive

The OS X version is now available : http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/2423

syrupcore

Reminds me of a great ux article: 'Never Use a Warning When you Mean Undo' http://alistapart.com/articles/neveruseawarning

ReverendP

Any chance of being able to reorder tracks in the sequencer? Thanks for your efforts.

LoveAurell

Matt, do you remember that weird thing happening to fast short notes with glide turned on in the ios version (notes missing, etc)? Does it still behave like that in the new version? Is it hard to fix?

Blip Interactive

I do indeed remember it because I see it every time I go to my 'list of stuff I need to do'. But I think you can probably guess what I'm going to say next .. ran out of time .. etc ..

LoveAurell

Haha ok, I don't blame you. You've done a great job with the iPad update.

JoE2O1O

Hi Matt...

Fantastic job with the new looks :D

Just noticed that for me at least every time i click on either a pattern or a part there is an empty space on the toolbar below....

Unused space

is this intentional or a visual glitch?

hope this helps.. :))

Blip Interactive

Yeah this is a bit of a problem now that the whole UI's stretchable. There are a few odd little things like this going on which I'll attempt to fix if nothing more important comes up. If the buttons are made 1 pixel wider then they're too wide, if they're made 1 pixel narrower (as they are there) then they're not quite wide enough to fill the space. Instead, they need to be different sizes +/-1 pixel to fill the gap perfectly.

JoE2O1O

ahh fair enough either way loving the new additions!! :)

Mwamwenda

First I'd like to say that since I got Nanostudio on my iPhone I have abandoned all my other music software because its so fun to use. Thanks Blip!

I just downloadad the Windows alpha version and love the larger interface! The only problem I have is that I can't open the projects I created on my iPhone in the desktop version. Am I missing something? Or is this feature yet to be added? I make most of my music on the go and would love to use the larger interface for arranging, mixing and mastering.

Thanks again Blip!