Universal iPad version coming soon ...

109 replies [Last post]
lagares

fuckkkkkkinggggg yyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !!!

jumping here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tasty !!!!!!

georgyk

I know the update is free, I *want* to pay for it. I'm going to offer it to a friend or two.

Blip Interactive

Not much I'm afraid, this update has been all-consuming and I've just watched the feature wishlist build over the last few months. If anything, iPhone users will probably notice (or get annoyed by) some seemingly arbitrary changes to the layout in a few places where it made sense to unify it with the iPad version! I really don't think there's anything that's made it go backward though, they really are just some simple changes that I got used to after half an hour or so.

That said, (just remembering off the top of my head) the iPhone will have a few things:

- Different keyboard scales (eg. pentatonic etc.)
- Ability to slide the keyboard by fractions of a note rather than just a whole octave at a time
- Mixer mute/solo
- Double tap on mixer channel title to go to instrument
- Double tap on 'centre zero' knobs to return to centre
- Song editor can zoom vertically

.. not very exciting but better than a kick up the arse. I'm going to see if I can add a few more (easy) goodies but only once I'm sure that the current version's tested and ready for an app store submission by the 1st of December. Apple's test department get busy before Christmas and I still want to make the end of the year.

lagares

I don't want to be a d%^& but,
can't loose for asking...

are the keys on the keyboard resizable...
I have wide fingers, and love the FL Studio style keys...

Maybe you can make them streck like another app that I have use that forgot its name...

anyway... looks like you soon will be kind of ipad music apps(in my book you already are)

GREAT WORK !!!

davlinste

Congratulations Matt, and thanks for your hard work on this :-)

Blip Interactive

Here are the current scales BTW. If anyone's got any requests for others then let me know. Can't be microtonal.

OFF
MAJOR
MAJOR PENTATONIC
MINOR
MINOR PENTATONIC
MAJOR BLUES
MINOR BLUES
DORIAN
KLEZMER
JAPANESE
SOUTH EAST ASIAN

Blip Interactive

The keys are resizable in the same way they are now, ie. with 3 different settings on the MANAGE/Settings menu. On the iPad, they're physically larger - 12, 14, or 16mm wide depending on the setting.

JoE2O1O

thanks for replying Matt!

I've got to say all the things on that list I've wanted for months and it really is great that you managed to fit them in, cheers! :)

its great to no that those of us without an ipad also have a little something to look forward to before Christmas!!

Joe.

lagares

I didn't know you can change the keys on current version...

wuhu !!!!!

thanks!

syrupcore

Don't sell yourself short in this one. Keyboard updates, mixer mutes and vertical zooming on the phone are all pretty fekkin sweet considering you've been saying 'just iPad stuff' for 6 months! I know I'm looking forward to them.

peanut_gallery

@Blip: For scales, I'd put a vote in for Mixolydian (my personal favorite after minor blues). A great one for pop/rock music.

JoE2O1O

id like to second the vote for mixolydian... just tried it out on my keyboard its really good...

shimmy

MATT=Santa Claus !

Blip Interactive

I'm the Santa from Trading Places

shimoda

Got any fish in those pockets? Maybe just fishy beats!

Really throwing in the whole mode scheme would be great if it wasn't too much. Or really any way to specify a scale (ala Animoog), though that might be more than just selecting scales.

Really looking forward to these iPad changes and the universal update. Will take anything you throw at us. Looking forward to the Windows port as well.

cyberheater

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to try out the osx version.

Stiksi

Mixer mute/solo on the iPhone, vertical zoom on song editor – you just made my day! I didn't dare hope for that much.

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

One thing for sure...it's a reason to buy a ipad2...oh oh...the same with my credit card and my wife : D ...if android solve there problems with ics android 4.0 ?!? ...mmhhh and what about windows 7.5 mango or 8.0?...we will see... in much forums they want ONE music app...the only and one NanoStudio ; )
I love the ios but more money for the developer=more things for us in the future ....whatever,
looks really great. Thank's for such a big free Update Matt. We appreciate this!

claart

@blip : scales - brilliant addition! a godsend for a fudge fingers like me

mixylodian sounds well interesting and id love these - have found them pretty useful on animoog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionian_mode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptatonic_scale (egyption)

tom_tm

Matt, just to recap like I said on Ashley's (Palm Sounds) blog, would you mind including the Diminished Scale too?

Olivier Messiaen was a big fan of the Diminished Scale...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdgUJss9BU

8)

Zupi

@Blip
Regarding scales one that didnt mentioned and liked was Aeolian i think.
Can you get ideas and/or implement some from Korgs Kaossilator? (considering this doesnt cause copyright infrigments, it shouldnt i think)

Here is the parameter sheet with info just if...
http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/kaossilator/KO1_Param_sheet_EFGJ1.pdf

I believe the last ones (3rd, 4th, 5th and octave interval) could serve as a cheap arpegiator alternative maybe?... ;)

pablo64

Matt,
Thanks so much for not forgetting the humble iPod Touch owner in this update. I'm also very excited about the Windows version.

If I'm being thick tell me but I'm curious to know how the scale/modes thing works on a standard keyboard. Does it just mute unwanted notes?
Also I wondered if you had found time to tweak the song naming keypad so that it defaults to lower case after the first letter of each word has been typed?
Thanks again for all your hard work on this

Blip Interactive

Cheers for the scales guys, should be able to get most of those in. If my music theory were any good I'd engage in some chin stroking over the various merits of my favourites but the truth is I've got through most of my life by sticking to the Minor Pentatonic in C combined with a liberal use of transpose. We're being given a relative's piano soon though and I was surprised to learn that it doesn't have a transpose function ...

The 'default to lower case on each word' thing made it in.

Joesoj

I've mostly done the same on piano/leyboard mate. Either Pentatonic or Diatonic lol Strange considering I can play most scales on guitar :-/

sharc

Just spotted an article for the upcoming universal update on iDesignSound.

http://www.idesignsound.com/coming-soon-nanostudio-for-ipad-universal-sc...

Noticed the spec appears to have been lifted from their (out-of-date) NS page - '4x Eden synths, TRG-16 trigger pads, 6 track sequencer, 7 input mixer with two sends'.

sharc

...Posted a comment to let them know.

sharc
rondema

Seeing the screen shots made my day.

Thank you very much indeed.

iammane

"...but the truth is I've got through most of my life by sticking to the Minor Pentatonic in C combined with a liberal use of transpose."

Oh god I'm glad it's not just me lol...

rondema

Like sitting in a new car at a showroom I have just been sat gawping at the screenshots saved to camera roll on the iPad. I want to fire her up and she how she handles ;)