Hot New Sexy Apps

1189 replies [Last post]
sirmcp

Gentlemen, welcome to app club. The first rule of app club is we talk about apps. Instead of leaving the forum strewn with Kaossilator, Animoog, blah blah blah threads, this could be the new home for all of our app discussion. If you like the idea chime in. IMHO, if you find some cool pc or Mac stuff, feel free to talk about it. Try and keep moaning and groaning to a minimum, this thread will feature the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't want this to turn into a thread for companies to stop by and plug stuff, if it is hot, we the users will take care of that. Nor do I want it to turn into a 'logic pro kicks protools butt' thread. That type of discussion is too subjective. ALSO, let's not forget that this is the Nanostudio forum, and NS as we all know is the king. So continue to spread the gospel, 'in the beginning there was the STUDIO, and in the STUDIO there was EDEN...etc.'

Now, for the iPhone folks, you want an additive synth.....you can get one. ADDICTIVE MICRO is out and on sale for 2.99. IPad users might be familiar with Addictive Synth. I really can't comment to much on Addictive because imho additive synths aren't my bag. Everything I program on one sounds like a dx7 on an acid trip. But I've messed around with Addictive and it's groovy. Check it out if you want. Drawing wave forms and envelopes is pretty neat tho', if I could only get the damn thing to sound decent I'd be in business.

peanut_gallery

Thanks for the heads up on Addictive Microsynth. I had no idea it had been released (or was even in development). Just downloaded it and played with it for a bit. They did a great job getting the iPad version onto the iPhone. It took a while to figure out that I wanted Gliss turned off to make the virtual keyboard act a like a real keyboard rather than an X/Y pad ("on" was the default setting). It looks like the biggest sacrifice made in creating the iPhone version was cutting the max polyphony from 8 to 4, but I can live with that. I think I'll use it most to sample sounds or phrases and then bring them into NanoStudio. For $2.99 it seems well worth it.

Soundwise, it did take me a while to warm up to the presets, but there's some good stuff there and the "draw your own wave-form" as well as the randomize feature can yield some good results. I sort of see the synth as the "Yin" to Sunrizer's "Yang" as far as different types of synths are concerned (with Animoog being it's own beast, but that's also iPad only).

Joesoj

Cue limpid "Friends" O M G!!! I've wanted an iPad just for this shit (addictive synth that is). Thanks for letting us know dude! And yeah I agree lets keep the freakin' moaning to a minimum. This is possibly the only forum I've been a member off with such a low quantity of actual moaning, great :-)
Also I guess it's ok to post this in here. I made a tune with Xenon. I purchased the app last night when I read that it can be programed similar to iElectribe (another one I want an iPad for) before I knew Gorillaz made that track Phoner To Arizona with it (they used both Xenon and iElectribe). I like it anyway and made this.

http://soundcloud.com/joesoj/soj-monkeys

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

I bought addictive after reading this post...and for this price it's a good choice! Thank's!

sirmcp

Nice track joesoj. If you like xenon, I'll vouch for argon. It'll be a nice addition to your synth arsenal and it's on sale for a buck right now. Icegear has made two nice apps and they support the synthstation and core midi if I'm not mistaken.

Joesoj

Yeah man I have both. Very underrated. I love the sequencing style of Xenon especially since I can't get iElectribe for iPhone :-( Also the arpeggiator on Argon is extremely easy to use. Not meaning to whore myself but I've just made a better one and swapped the two if you or anyone else cares to listen :-)

http://soundcloud.com/joesoj/itch

m2n2l2

Wish beatmaker 2 had demo version. During the hour I used it, I had to force my device to boot twice as it just hang there. I ran out of ram loading preset sounds twice, thought that was like polish farce - so sad it had to be hilarious too.

Blip Interactive

I think BM2 has a memory limit option somewhere which defaults to a low amount. If you can find it, try increasing it to 32 or 64MB.

m2n2l2

Doesn't solve the fact it keeps hanging on me. I PAID TO PARTICIPATE IN BETA :P

sirmcp

I also have stability issues with bm2. It loves to crash on me in the middle of sequencing which is why it's getting used less and less. And there is No way to stem out tracks which makes getting stuff into a daw lots of work.

m2n2l2

> I also have stability issues with bm2.

Which is sad. It's nice to have variety on these devices and BM2 seems quite nice for samplebased producers. It can't match workflow of NS, but both are light years away from desktop solutions and once BM2 has its bugs fixed, it just boils down to matter of choice really. I'd have both, NS and BM2 on my ipad even if I'm bit of a NS fanboy (:

m2n2l2

Not new, but Argon is for sale 0,79€ for limited time (posted 27.10)

sirmcp

Garage Band is now universal. For you iPhone/pod guys I highly recommend it for the organs and pianos alone it is very nice. Oh, I just picked up SampleLab it's on sale for a buck. Why did I get it you ask...time stretching.

iammane

Oooooh I didn't know it was universal, rejoice! I bet it's gonna be a pain in the ass on the small screen but that's ok, plan on getting an iPad soon anyway. Primarily thanks to Matt lol.

peanut_gallery

@sirmcp: SampleLab looks cool for a buck. It appears that it requires iOS 5, though, which I'm not crazy about (I'm currently happy at 4.3.3). Are you running iOS 5, or are you getting SampleLab to run on an earlier iOS version?

Thanks!

sirmcp

iOS 5

Liberalquilt

Organ+ has some excellent organ sounds - loads of presets and draw bar emulation. Not new (but new to me). The keyboard is good - very responsive. It has a metronome and audio copy so you can import into NS. You can also bounce recordings within Organ+ to build up a piece in layers. It's very cheap too. There's another Organ app, but that doesn't do audiocopy - so make sure you get right one, if you are interested.

sirmcp

Shadowgun is a buck. Ok, I know it's not for making music but you gotta relax too...right? I recommend iPad and iPod/iPhone 4th gen owners and above ONLY. I know this app is processor intensive and might not run on older devices. It's on sale for limited time so get it quick.

m2n2l2

Contre Jour was 0,79€ too, it's not shabby either. Appshopper is great for people who love their devices; it's far more extensive than the normal appstore gui. Shows you updates, new apps, discounts, the price history of an app and you can check free/paid categories in every app genre. It can also notify you for updates on apps, so you don't have suffer from your OCD every time you hear app is getting updated soon (:

Stiksi

Does appshopper still only work on the US store? I seem to remember deleting it because the app listings were too different.

m2n2l2

I'm seeing prices in euros (:

peanut_gallery

Just saw that Tabletop has dropped to $1 for 3 days. I know from other forum threads that this app has drawn mixed reviews, but I figure for a $1 it's worth a try, and the next time they put the a la carte modules on sale for $1 each, I may pick some of those up then.

Side note: They just added a new synth module, and from the "what's new" description in iTunes it looks like it's included in the core purchase, but it's actually a $10 IAP. That's a bummer.

pbolger

I'd save your money peanut_gallery. Tabletop is about the most disappointing music apps I've encountered. Just about everything is an in app purchase - barring the 'free' audio out module.... Better to save your dollar for when Nanostudio, which is already great, does a proper iPad version.

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

ThumbJam 2.0 was submitted to apple...waiting for this now...; )

sirmcp

Yeh, Retronyms Tabletop is a cool concept that lacks some features, audio editing, no way to remove samples within the app (itunes), no sequencer editing, the table can fill up rather quickly, and their IAP pricing is expensive IMHO. The app is a very cool concept and I really want to like it, but it's getting harder for me to do so with over priced gear. In it's current state it's more of a groove box than a daw, but hey try it out.

pquenin

I have Tabletop, but don't use it. The concept is quite the same as Reason, but no sequencer editing, so it's useless...
It's when you compare Nanostudio with theses toys that you realise all the incredible power of Nanostudio.

Blip Interactive

How do you guys find the 'tabletop' part of Tabletop (by this I mean the graphical view of all the instruments)? Graphical fluff or genuinely useful? I only ask this because it was an approach I considered taking at one stage but wasn't sure if it'd work well at phone size, and wasn't sure if I had the artwork resources to do it justice.

iammane

I like the idea behind tabletop, the modularity. Coming from Reason it's awesome to string everything together and be able to do crazy routing. It's unfortunate that Tabletop doesn't live up to the standard set by Audiotool, which is just out of control awesome.

I would love to have an interface like that :) but powerful like NS

Stiksi

Buzz tracker had a great interface for connecting machines to each other. You could shift-click any machine on the screen and drag to another and they would connect. This would be equivalent to long-tapping on iOS.

Here's an image I found of what it looks like at its worst: http://batman.no/buze/images/buze-1.gif

It was basically up to you to stay organized and here's a bad example of that. With a little bit of consideration, it was pretty crystal clear from a glance, what machine did what to which machine.

Very simple and extremely powerful routing. I think it could be doable even on the iPhone.

dendy

Stiksi: There is one sofware which perfecly works with buzz's modular architecture - it is SunVox tracker .. check iPad verision - it's awesome

dendy

ok it's also on iPhone but i think on the small iphone screen must be pain to work with it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6LiIERfHY