Which apps do you prefer along with Nanostudio?

58 replies [Last post]
Mister Ecks

I'm just curious what others use along with Nanostudio to increase productivity and expand creativity. I just purchased Sunrizer XS and it's great to have with Nanostudio. Was thinking of buying thumbjam or FL Studio to use in conjunction. What do you guys use?

syrupcore

Thumbjam, Everyday Looper, and Nanoloop are all really fun with NS.

Mister Ecks

I should note that I do not have an iPad, so that may exclude some apps like korg and such. @syrupcore thumbjam is worth the buy? I'm also looking for an good grand piano to use with ns

peanut_gallery

I hadn't used Thumbjam much with NS until recently. I actually used it to bring in some high quality grand piano samples. Other than using it to get its high quality samples into NS, I'm not too sure how much I'm going to use it in its current incarnation, but the dev has been working on an update to give it Synsthstation 25 and Core MIDI support, which would mean I'd get a lot more use out of it. No word yet on when the update will get a release, though.

I also use Argon Synth to record looped snippets that I bring into NS (a lot of its sounds have some really nice bite, and for $1.99 you can't go wrong) as well as Nlog MIDI synth for some more samples. Both of these also support SS25, MIDI Mobilizer and Core MIDI.

Another one you may want to check out is Crsytal Synth. I'd recommend downloading the free PC/Mac version first to see if the sounds are your cup of tea. A lot of people really rave about it, but I have yet to find a lot of patches in it that inspire me.

iammane

Thumbjam, Sunrizer (which I just bought but haven't played with much yet) and Guitar by Frontier Design Group.

Crystal Synth is pretty cool if you're looking for Absynth weirdness, I recall before getting Absynth that I was using Crystal Synth a bit, and if it's the same exact thing as what's on PC/mac then it's pretty sweet. Some of the presets are kinda meh, but I think there's A LOT going on under the hood and in the right hands could do some damage ;D

hypersleep

Sunrizer and Hokusai.

Hokusai got updated today with high quality DIRAC time stretching and pitch shifting, which is something I've wanted in NS ever since it was released.

Also, if you use a third part app like GoodReader to download WAVs from websites, you can open them with Hokusai and then copy and paste them into NS — no need for messing with NanoSync to get sounds into NS. Very convenient in the absence of a file system!

Mister Ecks

Excellent! I think I'll check out argon and thumbjam. Anyone use FL, Xewton, or BM2 with NS?

Liberalquilt

I use thumbjam, everydaylooper, foutrack, and sunrizer.

Order of use:
1) NS
2) Fourtrack
3) Sunrizer
4) everydaylooper
5) thumbjam (I really must use this one more)

Stiksi

Thumbjam, NLogSynth, Speak It!, sometimes Ellatron but I have to record it with the desktop version, and iVoxel. I'm getting into Sunrizer XS, but I have much to learn.

Before the 1.2 update I used Beatmaker 1 for the bitcrush effect but I've uninstalled it since.

peanut_gallery

I occasionally used Beatmaker 1, but have also since uninstalled it. I've gotten used to the workflow in NS for drums and samples, so BM1 has become obsolete for me.

I keep on trying to give Xewton a fair try (it's been sitting on my iPhone since before NS came out), but compared to NS, the workflow is just super clunky. Additionally, there's no audio copy/paste in Xewton, so to take work from Xewton to NS requires exporting to a computer and then importing it with NanoSync. A real pain.

MCOBigBen

This thread has cost me my lunch money. Thanks for exposing the good aps, folks.

rondema

Nobody mentioned Looptastic?

Looptastic!

Match made in heaven with NS.

Sclr

Ya nanoloop is awesome. Free if you don't need to save your sequences etc. I also use sounds epic, dxi fm synth, tweakybeat, and curtis heavy. I don't use the audio cut/paste with the last two. I just record stuff off my ipod into nanostudio on ipad. Tweakybeat is cool. it kind of reminds me of the old stomper drum synth. The drum sounds it can make are great.

Mister Ecks

Lol it's looking that way for me. I purchased Sunrizer XS a week ago and I think I'll be getting thumbjam and a few others. Anyone used FL Studio? I heard it was a re-skinned version of Xewton with no synth control : /

jomazz

The most creative and inspiring app I have found to use with Nanostudio is STEPPOLYARP. After waiting for NS to get an arppegiator/step sequencer and scale keyboard(like Thumbjam has) Steppolyarp has answered all my wishes.I use it on my IPAD (CCK)to control NS on my Ipod (Line 6 MM) .I can't express how much it has increased my creastivity.Works great over wifi to control my software synths too.It even features virtual MIDI to control other apps on the same IPAD (hopefully soon with nanostudio)

Joesoj

Bleep!box is fun for testing beats. You can also export them. The mini loops are cool.

Stiksi

Mister Ecks: "Anyone used FL Studio? I heard it was a re-skinned version of Xewton with no synth control : /"

That's what I heard too and when I pointed it out on a tech blog the Image Line people were quite annoyed. Overpriced I say, unless you have FL Studio on your desktop.

Mister Ecks

@stiksi

Lol I see. So I'm not the only one. It's unfortunate though. I was inquiring about it because I have used the desktop in the past and enjoyed the drum sequencer quite a bit and was curious to see how it could work with NS, in addition to more synths. Maybe I'll wait for an update.

Stiksi

Yeah, I loved Fruityloops but I don't own a pc anymore so I'm out of the loop for now. I hope someone who actually uses the Xewton FL Studio comments because I would be interested in how good the step sequencer actually is.

Mister Ecks

Yes I agree. Anyone who has it please let us know! : ) Also, does anyone have moog filtatron?

sirmcp

I bought FL Studio and for me it was the only app where I felt like I wasted money (aside from tabletop until it improves a bit). Compared to the desktop version it's like newton studio, a gigantic romper for making trance. Bm2 is a must have, sunrizer, samplewiz, nlog, argon, xenon, Hokusai, korg ms20, korg electribe, for you ambient cats mixtikl and for a free audio recorder/editor wavepad. In my opinion these are the best apps out for the money.

Note, the step sequencer isn't the problem. The limited sound set that you're stuck with sucks. Fl on the pc is about sample manipulation which the xewton team didn't get. It's basically xewton reskinned with trance sounds and no audio manipulation. Garage band just might have more synth editing capability than fl studio iOS. So far nothing out there aside from beat maker 2 comes close to nano studio. To all the nano studio users you are using the king. I've tried everything from rebirth, synthstation, rhythmstudio, electrify, sunvox, aurora, isequence, iSyn poly and few others but nothing is as powerful, offers a faster workflow, easier file transfer, better sound or effects quality, or stability for the price, than ns.

Mister Ecks

I appreciate the feedback. I would get the Korg IMS-20 if I had an iPad! : (

shimoda

I have the filtatron app, but have yet to really use it. It takes some getting used to and you need files in it (through sharing in iTunes if memory serves) for it to work.

The Korg iMS20 is an amazing app, very powerful, but like Korg stuff, quite complicated to work out. I like to use it to record snippets to put into NS or others.

I've thought about BM2, but am not sure what's the point with EasyBeats, SampleLab, Tenori i (iTNR), Aurora, and a couple of other things for sequencing/doing beats. I'll probably actually get Touchable next as I got Touch OSc and it's okay with the Live template that comes with LiveControl, but I would like immediate control over several parameters with an easier setup. THat and for Ableton to implement OSC!

Really, I'd like to use NS to create loops for sampling in Live and then use the two together for performance.

haunted sleep

Filtatron supports audio copy/paste, IIRC.

Liberalquilt

I'm tempted by the moog filtatron, but all the demo's I've found on the internet sound a bit aimless. It's not the money, cos it's peanuts, but more the distraction. I'd be interested in hearing what anyone on this forum has done with it.

Mister Ecks

I agree. I wasn't aware it supported copy/paste...I'll have to verify. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig : o

shimoda

No need to be the guinea pig, it does support Intua copy/paste

Mister Ecks

Yes, I found that out after a little research. I think I'll wait and use the 8 dollars for coffee and inspirational cigarettes. I take entirely too long to compose a tune.

syrupcore

filtatron is a great app but I mostly find myself using it to process external sounds instead of part of an iOS internal workflow. I run guitars and synths through it and love it.

grindoxsaurus

i had filatron, it was a good app/ didn't help my workflow but good for an external effect/ beyond the effects presented. i also don't think it had the option for wavs. at the time either. i could be wrong. sometimes has passed.

Thresher Maw

Well I'm definitely not getting it if you like it grindoxsaurus! : )