New Features in Next Update?

116 replies [Last post]
hypersleep

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, but is the next release going to be an iPad UI update only? Or will new features be included as well? I'm hoping for improvements to the sample editor, especially time stretching and pitch shifting. I only open BM2 for its sample editor these days...

Blip Interactive

The next update is really going to be iPad UI only, mainly to keep the scope under control and stop the timescale creeping out too far. Lots of people want the iPad version so I can't see much point in doing all the work and then sitting on it while I add another load of features - that should be done in two updates.

That said, there are a handful of non-UI things I'll at least consider for the next update, as long as they're quick and uncomplicated. Here's a list of possibles, but no promises at this stage:

- Support stereo recording devices
- Support any new hardware from Akai, Line 6 or Alesis
- Respond to very short MIDI notes from drum pads
- Move Eden soundbanks to a NanoSync accessible folder
- Virtual MIDI port to enable other apps to play NanoStudio's synths
- Lower latency realtime option
- Play NanoStudio in the background, and/or allow iPod player in the background

MCOBigBen

< Move Eden soundbanks to a NanoSync accessible folder
< Play NanoStudio in the background, and/or allow iPod player in the background

My votes! (pretending this is a democracy, which it isn't)

shimoda

Virtual Midi in the background and Eden soundbanks are the tops there definitely. Though compatibility with hardware would be great too.

NOTE: adding WIST (Korg sync) would be great as it seems many other apps are starting to include this - recent nLog update, Rebirth)

m2n2l2

> Virtual MIDI master clock
> Play virtual instruments in the background, capture and route them realtime through nanostudios mixer to enable users with full volume/effect control through nanostudio.
> Plugin interface specification and SDK
> Profit

I can see the future! C:

ninonano

New user, first post.So let me start by doffing my cap to a one man operation who is up there at the front of the pack, giving some much bigger companies many an insight into how to develop for this new technology. As a late coming Ipad2 user I applaud the power you have squeezed into/out of previous gadgets , which has raised the bar , and therefore of course future expectations,so.....

If you will be adding virtual midi in , would it not be possible to add coremidi & virtual midi out at the same time? Whilst Eden & TRG are very good, recent inter app connectivity advances will allow us ipad2ers to run other synth and samplers concurrently.I doubt I am the only one who wishes to make your sequencer central to my workflow, but would need it to output the midi to enjoy the other amazing noisemaking apps we have been tempted to splash out on.
Without wishing to tell you your business, but I suggest the strongest longterm asset of your app is the sequencer, once it can output virtual & core midi, & the sooner the better for us new users to get down to learning it's intricacies and not be distracted by looking at the many other sequencers arriving on the Market because they have midi out.

The point about the power of your sequencer is of course, that it has the audio aspect as well, so even if one deserts ship to use other synth apps' sound ( playing midi sent from nano studio), the recorded wavs can then be brought back into nanostudio for mixing.this is why I want nano studio to be my main studio , but midi out is needed sooner rather than later.

If I haven't caused offence by telling you your business, may I ask how the news that ios5 is to include various audio units as reported in a recent article in touch producer
www.touchproducer.com/?p=1951 will affect matters.Does this mean established synths and effects that already exist in audio unit form for macs could run on the iPad, and be hosted within nano studio?

syrupcore

Woa. That business on touch producer is exciting. I might never buy it but long live garage band!

This virtual midi stuff is exciting as well. The next iPhone (October?) is going to have the horsepower of the iPad 2. God knows what the iPad 3 will be capable of. I'm looking forward to playing with synths via interesting interfaces like thumbjam but in the end I'm going to want to sequence them and NS is the obvious place to do that. In time I imagine.

Thomas A.

"- Virtual MIDI port to enable other apps to play NanoStudio's synths"

Hmm, vice versa would make more sense. For me, NanoStudio is definitely more a host than a synth. For example, I would like to control Sunrizer from NanoStudio.

Liberalquilt

Native Instruments iMaschine app looks like it is going to have a 4 track audio recorder function - which is something that I've hoped for (so far vainly) in nanostudio for a long time. The integration of audio with midi on the iphone would be brilliant and if iMaschine does that I will definitely be at least checking it out - of course iMaschine is more of a beats making application, and screenshots look suspiciously like BM2, so maybe it won't be for me; but roll on integration of music apps, for sure.

Distraub

Please can we have the same effects preset system that is in the sample editor, in the mixer? With the expanded UI?
Please Please?

And maybe bump that 8MB sample limit up a bit?

-distraub

Blip Interactive

Audio tracks and MIDI out would both make complete sense, but both will require a significant redesign in certain areas. Audio tracks will involve so much change that I feel it's not going to happen in this generation of NanoStudio, but MIDI out is more viable and I'd like to look at this (along with sync options via MIDI, WIST etc.).

The effects presets would again make sense in the mixer, but I was out of ideas on exactly where to fit in the save/load buttons on the phone. Suggestions welcome!

I'm not sure about Apple's new audio unit stuff - personally it just sounds like it's driven by Garage Band's requirements and they've just made those components available to all developers. I don't use any of that stuff because I want to stay cross-platform.

I've got an 8->16MB sample increase on the list, and I'm sure it'll make it into the iPad update.

Liberalquilt

I take your point Blip about audiotracks, and the 16mb sample limit would make quite a good compromise. If that makes it into the iPhone version sometime soon I'll be well pleased. It would allow 3min 12sec mono sample length, a perfectly good total song length.

Distraub

oh and stereo sample support on Eden <- crosses fingers.

hypersleep

Stereo samples for Eden would be great. Loop points in the sample editor as well.

How high is the demand of audio tracks anyway? Even at 8MB, the sample limit is reasonable for including vocals chopped up and applied to TRG pads. There's also the ability to mix vocals and music with one of the many multitrack recorder apps. I understand it's not optimal, but it's something.

Blip Interactive

Yeah a lot of people seem to get by with using long samples, but audio tracks would be better. For me, a big problem with using samples is that you don't hear them play when you locate the song position to a point in the middle of the sample - the sequencer has to pass the trigger event in order to play it.

jaybry84

"Play NanoStudio in the background"

Should *definitely* be in the next update. I was getting by being jailbroken but it doesn't work with Sunrizer. I think it's time.

Stiksi

"For me, a big problem with using samples is that you don't hear them play when you locate the song position to a point in the middle of the sample - the sequencer has to pass the trigger event in order to play it."

Having no idea about programming, is the problem that fully granular indexing of the wave file would take too long? Or just that you have to play the files directly from the flash drive?

Maybe a track lock feature would help – if an audio track is locked you could index the possible start points, which shouldn't take too long because it's only every full bar. The track would then play in sync.

Or you could index the wave file with a point for every bar when it's loaded and then just keep track of the index points on the track. The audio track would be triggered at a different time than the rest of the song (if the wave file is moved into a position other than the start of a bar), but it would be in sync.

syrupcore

@blip is starting mid sample a possibility with the current codebase? Not for the iPad release, obviously. Audiotracks would no doubt be sweet but 8/16mb sample support is plenty provided you don't have to go back 20 measures all the time to hear it in context.

Joesoj

View of TRG that is longways and only pads.

Liberalquilt

@hypersleep - I use the fourtrack to add vocals and other live instruments to NS projects, then export the tracks into reaper and mix together with the unmixed NS tracks. However it doesn't work the other way round - you can't import a whole song recorded on a multitrack daw into NS and add synths etc. As to how much demand there is, well the combination of midi with audiotracks is a standard feature of all the major desktop daws.

sirmcp

Matt,

The developer of arctic synth did an interview http://touchproducer.com/?p=1910, he said wist took him about a day to implement.

jomazz

Dear Matt ,
I get all of the new music creation apps that come out but the one I keep going back to and use way more than anything else is Nanostudio because it is fully featured , the sounds I can create are truly inspirational and the workflow is second to none.BUT PLEASE ADD AN ARPPEGIATOR AND A SCALE KEYBOARD (like Thumbjam has) for the IPAD version.I think these two features would exponentially increase the creative/inspirational value of Nanostudio.Now I use Steppolyarp on my IPAD to control Nanostudio on my IPOD and it works great but it would be better to have it integrated in one app. Thanks

SynthObsession

Yes, I beg and cry for an ARPPEGIATOR for Eden. This is the only thing I realy miss.

acaonweb

my vote for ARP AND SAMPLING WHILE SEQUENCER PLAYS :)

Stiksi

@ acaonweb: Sampling while sequencer plays is already a feature. It's the "Monitor" setting on the record page.

acaonweb

yeah, i know, i mean as a track in the song :)

menoptra

Can anyone recommend a good multitrack recorder app that can be used to record and mix vocals once you have created something good in nano studio? I,ve heard four track is good.

Jim Hanks

I like Meteor - so much I started a separate forum here http://www.jimhanksmusic.com/meteorforum although I haven't gotten much traffic yet (except for the dang spammers).

acaonweb

i've discovered only now WIST technology... what about on Nanostudio?
For example i can play sync Nanostudio on iphone and on ipad.... using one as DAW and other as live play :)

ninonano

@jomazz & @Synth Obsession : Arpeggiator

This is an example of what I was alluding to in my previous waffle where I urged Blip that virtual midi in/out and background multitasking should be the priority for the next update...you would be able to plug StepPolyArp or other arps into Nanostudio and run them together.
Whereas previously Nanostudio was by necessity selfcontained ; multitasking and virtual midi will allow Nanostudio to integrate with other apps and there would be no need for Blip to write an arp.

(In the meantime, Addictive synth has an arp you can save the midi of)

jomazz

ninonano
I understand what you are saying about virtual midi and i'm all for it but to me its akward at best.You can only see/use the controls on one app at a time.I've tried controling NLOG with STEPPOLYARP on my Ipad and it works great but its frustrating because you can only see one app.Its much more rewarding (for me anyway)when I control Nanostudio on my Ipod from Steppolyarp on my Ipad.So im just saying that to have it all in one app (Nanostudio) would be great. And I truly believe that a scale keyboard is much more flexible and configurable on a IOS screen than a tiny piano keyboard.(Addictive synth just added one in their latest upgrade.)