Community NSP and TRG files

227 replies [Last post]
Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

I'm also not an advanced sound designer or even a brilliant composer but i'm so happy to start with iOS. So i now can design some own sounds since a while. For me it's most important that i have fun to creating a sound. Because of that i still love Mitosynth since it's very easy to create tons of patches in short time. Sunrizer is another great iOS synth for creating and sharing patches. Nave sound quality is for me the best in the iOS world and i made a bank for it but it always crashed and i deleted it because it drived me crazy. Good thing is that many things working similar in other synth so that it's now easy to start for me also on my Mac to create my own patches. I hope i still can make some patches for iOS synths and can share them in near future but i must say that my new toys are easier to program as some iOS synths and it makes more fun too. Also the motivation is much higher because you know maybe more people will use your patches when you release a bank. Then there is the lack of good patch browsers in a lot of iOS synths and this stupid way to get things just via i-tunes (or even i-funbox etc.) in and out annoys me so much that i lost the motivation after short time. But i think there are really more "just players" in the iOS world. I also have the feeling that some of the iOS synths/apps are created by "only" programmers, not musicians or sound designers. But seems they are not listening......

Darko

Galaxyexplorer @Darko: I'm working under "Cinebient" in soundcloud (...)

+1 Following! :)

And to reply to you and to Slam-Cut: I agree with you both, sound design (great sound design) takes a lot of patience and time, besides knowledge. But also nothing can/should stop you from experimenting. For me the biggest mistery was a modulation matrix, although I know what modulation is from university lessons and huge math equations, it was always a little tricky to use in actual sound design and reproduce sweet results. Last year or so something "broke" inside me and I finally got it. However, it is not always easy implemented in every synth, Eden is a school example of how easy it can be done, few other synths out there have it also done properly, but most are just not user friendly and unnecessary complex.

@ Galaxyexplorer
Can't wait to hear your new music!

Regards

syrupcore

>It is a shame there isn't more active preset/patch creation/sharing/discussion for iOS apps. It is different for PC/Mac as there are so many more musicians and sound designers using those platforms for several decades now. It is understandable that there would be more presets available for those.

Agree that volume of users counts here but I also think that ease is a part of it. You have to use a computer to upload and share this stuff and for desktop apps you're already on a computer with easy access to the preset files under the hood via the file system. For iOS users, there isn't a simple way to do it all from the device they're being created on. Some apps have a way built in but they're closed communities and are invisible to google searches.

I tried to work up a business model (and SDK) for music app developers to point their apps at a preset sharing site. I couldn't figure out decent way to do it that wouldn't be too much of a strain on devs and would make enough money for me to maintain it. Looks like the AB guys have figured out part of it with state saving. Now we just need a central browsable/searchable repository. They don't seem interested in doing that and I can't blame 'em!

Lee B

Here is the NSP file for the track Eden, where all sounds including drums were synthesised with Edens oscillators.
As you can see, The master compressor is doing nothing but raising the level slightly, before I imported it into Final Touch. Only slight processing was added in FT, so the track should sound very close to the finished track.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qimft4qq10t7vzw/AAAzYKosbY9loVH2Onsa9tUAa?dl=0

hope this works, not packaged up and shared an NSP for some time.

Cheers

Lee

Lee B

Here's another 64 Eden presets made by myself, enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7h4quk4usnqi7la/Lee%20B%20-%20Eden%20Patches%2...

Lee

Jim Hanks

Worked great Lee! Definitely gonna have to make a project with that Eden set. Pretty cool stuff in there.

Jeppan74

Fantastic Lee!! I´ve always admired the bass sounds you get out of Eden, so now I can get some insight in how you do them :)

Lee B

@jim hanks. Your welcome, just wringing the last bits out of Eden.

@Jeppan. Only a few basses in there, nothing amazing, but it's all about the layering, automation etc. For basic underpinning bass sounds I still use Eden, but I also use Sunrizer single note samples in Eden quite a bit and the odd short bass sequence. I think we're all at the stage where we use other synths or sounds from them in Nanostudio now, otherwise we'd all sound the same. Not that Eden has a bad sound, it's just a noticeable one and can get a bit samey.

Jeppan74

@Lee B: And just to rub it in, you release another pumping beast with an amazing sounding bass :) Imagine this with a high pitch melodic voice: Awesome!!! :)
But your right about the basses and layering... I usually use another synth to the basslines, but have a sub-bass patch I made in Eden following the main bass.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the sounds Lee B! I especially like Phange Pad. That one is really fun.

Lee B

@Slam Cut
No probs, hope you get some use out of them.

kitejan

Full project .NSP files for my first Nanostudio album "Experiments" can now be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/jangilhooley/mymusic/experiments

Investigate/use/reuse/abuse as you see fit.....

All under a Creative Commons licence (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share Alike).

Slam-Cut

Thanks kitejan! I haven't looked at the .nsp files yet, but I did read your notes and listen to the tracks. WOW! Great music! I really enjoyed listening to your tracks. Overall I was impressed by the mature blending of rhythmic, harmonic, and melodic skills in such natural and organic ways as to make it sound effortless. I can tell you've been at it a while. I'm sure there will be lots that I can learn from studying your .nsp files. I'm looking forward to it.

Your notes were impressive! I couldn't recall that much about my tracks. It was interesting to read about the NS limitations from the earlier versions. I'd forgotten about all of that, but it was fun to recall those things and realize just how far NS has come.

On my iPhone 6+ and using Chrome, I long clicked the NSP links to open in a new page. It gave me the option to download, so I pressed that. Then I was given the Open In prompt, so I selected Nanostudio, and the .nsp files were then available in NS. No Nanosync required. I was unaware that any of this was possible. I thought I would have to use my computer, but no. Apparently there are some good things in iOS 8 that are working quite nicely. Huh.

kitejan

Thanks - I was surprised how much I remembered, but I did cheat and look at both the project files to find out where the sounds had come from, and what I had put on soundcloud. I'm just doing the same for Experiments 2 - which is harder because I used more apps in its production, but didn't have a sample naming convention as to where they came from. (Now I prefix samples with the source app and the patch name to help with future changes. At least that is the theory.....).

If people find it useful in some way then I'm really happy to have shared them.

I didn't think about opening them directly on iOS - I did open them directly from Dropbox (where they are backed up) so it's perhaps no surprise it works from Safari.

Jan

kitejan

Now all .NSPs from "Experiments 2" (plus as many notes as I can make off the top of my head about the tracks) here:
https://sites.google.com/site/jangilhooley/mymusic/experiments-2

And the earlier "Experiments" is also there:
https://sites.google.com/site/jangilhooley/mymusic/experiments

Investigate/use/reuse/abuse as you see fit.....

All under a Creative Commons licence (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share Alike).

Jan

syrupcore

Thank you, Kitejan!

Slam-Cut

Thanks again for those Kitejan! I'll be really busy until after the first of the year, but then I'll go through the files and study them closer. Until then I'm enjoying listening to the music.

kitejan

No problem - I kind of thought this would be the last chance to share these as once NS2 is released I doubt there will be any interest in NS1. Over the years I got a lot of help and encouragement from people - and it just seemed the right thing to do to pass on something to others. I don't intend on doing anything else with these tracks (maybe someday just passing them through some mastering process to polish them a bit). If one person listens, looks at the project file and then says "Hey I could do something similar/better" then I'm really happy that someone else is doing something creative and adding their "voice" to this community.

I've no idea at all if these tracks are good, bad or what - I just really enjoyed making them, and (to be honest) I still enjoy listening to them. There is usually some link to where I was or how I has feeling or even what was going on in the world which means when I listen it kind of takes me back to that place or feeling.

The project files (and MP3 copies) are on archive.org for (hopefully) long term archival - I do still need to upload some of the other bits and pieces (like the cover art - but I would need to actually *finish* the cover art first :-) )

And all down to Matt coming up with the amazing Nanostudio in the first place - without which none of the above would ever have happened. So if you don't like my music: blame Matt :-)

Jan

Slam-Cut

@Kitejan: Since the loading of the files with Nanosync reordered the tracks alphabetically, 'Blackpool Train' was up first. Enjoying listening to it, and I am especially finding the drum track useful. I have never formally studied drums, so it is nice to see what you are doing there. I can see being inspired by what you are doing with the drums. The drumming sounds organic and quite a bit more human that my normal 'drumming'. Do you tend to play the TRG pads or just draw in on the TRG editor?

kitejan

Let me just check.....

(loads up NSP, listens, and tries to remember exactly what I was doing at the time.......).

... OK. First thing first: I have really, serious, awful bad timing. Second thing: Pretty much no sense of rhythm. Third thing: apart form piano lessons when I was about 11 (and I didn't practice & wast much good because of reasons 1 & 2) and trying to learn the guitar as an adult I don't have any other musical know how, therefore anything I do is going to be "aided" by the technology to a greater or lesser extent.

The track "Blackpool Train" is actually formed from 2 separate pieces - and were the first ones I did on the iPod & NS 1.1 (actually on the train to Blackpool, my home town). So what I was doing with the drums were different in each section. Parts like the hi-hats were either drawing the notes then messing around by dropping a hit or something, or messing around with the auto beat thingy in NS. I suspect that the other section 1 drums were live played then the duff timing manually corrected (dragging the kick to the start of the beat for example) - unless I liked the result - I think some of the snares in part one were just wrong, but it sounded better like that.

Section 2 I do remember playing the TRG pads more live. But the end part at bar 159 where I get giddy with the toms I just randomly entered the notes on the grid whilst looping a section and again just dropping beats, adding notes until it had the feel I was after.

One technique I read somewhere and still use is to change the velocity of the notes quite a lot - it can really make a different "feel". I usually select each note (ie TRG pad) then just mess around with the velocity. On another track (not on soundcloud but used here on one of my timelapse videos http://youtu.be/4Wjyqtg4eCg at around the 2:10 mark) I automate the cutoff frequency of the drums - especially the toms - each hit. I quite like the effect (I've used it elsewhere).

Another track (Presage of Convergent Conflicts) the drums started life in a DM1 loop - first using the randomise feature, then tweaking until I got a pattern I liked, then jamming along with the electric guitar. Once I knew the piece had some kind of future I transferred each sample from DM1 to NS's TRG pads and recreated the pattern (I dont really like using loops just like that - not sure why.... just prefer to deal with the actual notes).

In short (and don't tell anyone :-) ) - I just mess around having fun until a pattern grabs my attention and I start building it up into a track. I'm not looking for realistic drums because I know I cant achieve that (I've heard some of the other contributors here and I would be hard pressed to know they weren't real drums in the NS music) and it's not really what I'm setting out to achieve musically.

Jan

Jan

Harisonzamperla

36 custom presets. Enjoy. Theres about three that are revised factory presets but the rest are from scratch. I was gonna try to make more and sell them but I dunno if there's enough or how to go about that. The PolyKNIFE is probably my favorite. Worked for hours on that one fine tuning it. Anyways have fun with these

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spf8hdgk1gzf47s/HarisonPATCHESjan2015.nsp?dl=0

Let me know what you think

syrupcore

Thank you, Harisonzamperla!

Dadadrew

Thanks HZ! SplashyNOISEgate is a blast!

Harisonzamperla

Haha. Youre welcome! I'm glad you all are enjoying them. I'm really excited about nanostudio 2!

Slam-Cut

@Harisonzamperla: thanks for sharing your presets! Very interesting sounds.

spook1138

I cant seen to locate them...any chance you could make a copy available to me aswell?

spook1138

Hi all - I'm stuggling with the simplicity of it all....gone through this post and downloaded EVERY NSP file available.... but where do I 'drag and drop them to in NANOSYNC.... Also once completed successfully... how do I access the new found wealth of sound happiness through Eden...

Enlightenment sought....

spook1138

REUSENOISE.... how do I access your wealth of sounds in NSP format...the link seem to go to an advertising page....

Harisonzamperla

Just open the project and go to eden and go to the sound bank labeled project (as opposed to bank a, bank b etc etc). Its the last bank and at that point you can copy them from the project sound bank to bank C or whichever one has empty presets. Just pick a patch you like and tap write and then put them in the bank of your choosing. Not the most graceful system for sharing patches but i love nanostudio so we're not gonna complain about it.

Harisonzamperla

Btw more patches to come