Community NSP and TRG files

225 replies [Last post]
Zupi

@LeeB
Yep...My bad.

You are right, had both old and new versions and mistakenly i loaded the old.
The new works fine and the sample references are looking right too.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Lee B

Yes, i thought it strange that the samples stayed in the original folders linked to the songs i was working on at the time, even though all patches were copied to the 'good to go bank'.
I thought exporting the nsp would automatically copy the samples within the project, but now i know, i'll make sure i check all samples are in the correct folder.

Please could you let me know if the patches now play, as i have manually added all samples.

Cheers

Lee

Lee B

Sorry, double post!

Lee B

That's great news zupi, now i know where i went wrong!

Cheers

Lee

Slam-Cut

I erased all copies of the file from my computer and iPhone, downloaded it again with the same problem. This time P28 is no longer working. It was working after the first fix you attempted.
I think Zupi is on to something. I suspected something like that. I'm still not sure where Eden looks for samples. I think it looks for samples in the Project folder for Project presets, but where would it look for samples used in Banks A - C?

I had a similar problem when I created presets from samples that I copied from other apps. I made presets for the C Bank but they no longer work. I suspect that Eden looked for the samples in the 'copy pasteboard thingy' (sorry about that complex technical terminology) and that worked until the original sample was bumped out by other samples. Is there a preferred way to save presets for Banks A - C?

Blip Interactive

Presets can refer to samples from anywhere, so it's down to you to manage them. I'd recommend /Samples for anything global (ie. you're going to refer to from any project) so it'd be a good home for samples used by presets A - C. For samples you're never going to refer to in other projects (resampled loops would be a good example), it's best to save them to the current project's folder.

I have a feeling that the main reason samples have ended up missing in nsp files is because they accidentally got deleted before exporting. It's pretty easy to get in a bit of a tangle and I've never been happy that it's as simple as it could be, but sample referencing/exporting/managing seems to be one of those things that's more complex than it first appears.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the tips Matt! I'll use the /Sample folder for Global presets (A - C). That folder is where I have loaded all of my samples from CDs.

If I use a sample from another app for a Global preset, do I need to copy that sample to the /Sample folder? I just created a preset for Bank C with a sample from the Past Board and Eden asked me if I wanted to save the sample to the Project File. I selected yes, but if that preset is for Bank C, how will Eden find the sample? I bet you'll tell me it won't and that's what my problem has bee trying to create presets.
How do I get a sample from another app off of the Paste Board and into a Sample folder so Eden knows where to find it for Global Banks?

sirmcp

Guys,
I'm gonna check my sample paths for the nsp file and try Gand fix wm as soon as possible. I thought that I took care of my samples by placing them in the project folder, i'll give it a look. Been short on time due to fact that I'm on a long vacation that some how morphed into work over the last two weeks. I'm supposed to be trekking through the Andes and now I'm being whipped by the man. And now my nsp files suck. Wot the he'll happened to the good life?

Lee B

I'm even more confused now, zupi said all was o.k, but slam cut is still having problems.
If anyone else could try downloading the latest 'good to go' file and let me know if the problem is there with them, it would be greatly appreciated.
It has been revised a couple of times today, so there may be a possibility that people don't have the latest version.

Cheers

Lee

sirmcp

Downloaded microwave to my pc version of nano studio which doesn't have either of my nsp files and it works perfectly, I don't know what to tell you doodz, I'm gonna take a look at Lee's stuff now.

sirmcp

Lee, my pc version of nanostudio won't recognize a project file, I can just access your samples in the trg or eden which are cool btw.

Slam-Cut

Perhaps I am making a mistake. When I transfer the Good to go.nsp file I drop it into a folder I created called Sound Banks, which is a sub-folder in the Projects folder. Should I transfer the .nsp file to the root directory and let Nanostudio sort out where things go during the unzipping process?

Just downloaded the Good to go.nsp file again, transferred it via Nanosync, loaded the project and...
same thing. It's 8:50 PM PST

Zupi

Hi again.
The file works fine on ipad too... as far as you upload it directly on the [Projects] folder.
I think the problem with Slam-Cut is that he puts it in the [Sound Banks] folder he mentioned as i did the same to see if it works and presto! some patches didn't sound at all.

Now as i can tell from the few i know, maybe Blip could shed more light, the problem is that in Slam's case the references on the Eden.bnk still point to the Good to go folder but in a different location from that the samples are. For ex.: (/User/Projects/Good to go.prj/Superizer.wav) while the actual sample is on this path: (/User/Projects/Sound Banks/Good to go.prj/Superizer.wav)

So it seems that although Nano decompresses the files from the .nsp in the place you upload them, it still leaves the sample path references for the Eden.bnk unchanged.

Sorry if something i wrote doesn't make sense, non native ;) and hope it will lead to something.

Lee B

I think you've hit the nail zupi!

I was going to suggest slam cut tries loading direct into the project folder, for the reasons you've stated above. I'm glad it works for you anyway.

cheers

lee

Slam-Cut

I deleted Good to go.prj and .nsp files, transferred the .nsp file to the /Projects folder, decompressed the .nsp file, and now all the sounds are there and working. Same thing for Microwave111, so relax on your working vacation sirmcp. And thanks to both of you for the sound banks!
I still don't quite understand why this happened or how to avoid this problem with my projects.

Does a .nsp project have to be decompressed in the initial level /Projects folder because that was where it was zipped up into a .nsp file? Why did only some presets not work? Lee B: can you confirm that the presets that did not work for me (when decompressed into the folder Sound Banks) were created from samples and the others were created in Eden from Osc waves? If that is the case, then I understand a bit about how the problem happened, if not fully understanding the situation and how to prevent it from happening in my own projects, especially when I start rearranging presets...

If I now move these projects into the Sound Banks sub-folder (which ironically I created to store banks of project presets so that I could have access to the presets on new projects) will the Eden presets still be looking to the /Projects folder for the samples? What happens when I take the projects out of the Sound Banks folder, create some amazing musical masterpiece, and save the whole thing as another project name in a different sub-folder relating to that project?

Matt: any tips on workflow that will save headaches? Did I miss something in the manual?
...I'm hoping for sonic enlightenment from the god of my little Nanostudio world. :o)

Lee B

Yes, i can confirm that the patches that weren't playing for you were sample based.
Part of the problem was down to me assuming the samples would automatically be copied to the .nsp file from what ever folder they were in, so i'm as happy as you that it now works.

Cheers

Lee

Blip Interactive

Maybe it would help understanding if I explained the way it stores sample references. When an Eden preset (or TRG pad) refers to a sample contained in the project directory, it stores it something like this:

Name="CB 808.wav" (ie. relative to the project directory)

but when it refers to a sample outside the project directory it stores it like this:

Name="/User/TRG Banks/808.trg/CB 808.wav" (ie. absolute with full path)

This has the advantage that projects can be copied around on the device (eg. when it does a 'save as') and all the references still work as intended, provided any samples in the project directory are copied too (which 'save as' also does).

When moving a project to a different device there's a problem, because all those absolute references are unlikely to work unless the destination device has the exact same samples in the exact same locations. This is where the nsp export comes in - it spots all those absolute references, copies the samples in question to the project directory and then changes the reference to a relative one.

Bottom line is that if all the samples are present and working at the time you export the nsp file but there are some missing when the nsp file is loaded, it's a bug.

Slam-Cut

I created some sample-based presets for the C Bank, and the mistake I made was to go directly to the 'Paste' button. Eden asked me if I wanted to paste the sample to the /Projects folder. That would have been great for a Project Bank preset, but not for a global bank. That project was later moved and renamed, so now the C Bank preset doesn't work because Eden can't find the sample.
It seems that the best practice for using samples from the Pasteboard to create a preset in a global bank is to navigate to the /Samples folder first and then press 'Paste' so that Eden will ask if I want to paste to the sample to the /Sample folder instead of a Project folder. That way Eden will always be able to find the sample.

In keeping the /Sample folder neat and tidy, if I created a subfolder called /Samples/Pastboard, to keep those Pasteboard samples in, will there be any issues if I copy the C Bank preset to a Project Bank preset and then move that project around? If I later change that C Bank preset will the Project Bank be affected? Is the only way to guarantee that the Project presets won't be unintentionally affected be to move projects only with .nsp files?

Blip Interactive

The only way to guarantee you won't have missing samples when moving projects around is by using nsp files.

If you copy a preset from bank C to the project bank and that preset is using a sample, the sample is not moved or copied and the project preset will just continue to refer to the sample in its original location. It's up to you to choose an appropriate location for samples. Maybe it would have been better for the app to enforce the sample location (project folder for project presets, global folder for global presets) but I can see various issues with that.

One trick up your sleeve is to export an nsp and then load the nsp back up again. Everything should then be local to the project's folder, but be careful you don't fill your phone with lots of copies of the same wav files if you use this method frequently.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the tips Matt!
Is it necessary to actually export the .nsp file and reload it or can I just move it within my iPhone or iPad to a different folder, then decompress it?

Blip Interactive

You don't need to copy it to your computer or anything, just tap export then tap load and load it back in again. You don't even need to move it to a different folder - it'll just append -1, -2, -3 etc. on the end if it clashes with an existing project folder.

tom_tm

Matt, can this process be made bullet proof for v1.3? And then can we email these nsp files to each other?

Very interesting reading- although some of it was giving me a headache. Maybe I need more Calvados?? ;)

Blip Interactive

Here's another .nsp file from SirMcp. To quote the man himself:

"Light cycle1 weighs in at under 4 mb. It contains 64 custom made, single cycle loops (and some other sampled oddities), 64 new Eden patches and over 32 new trg samples."

Light cycle 1.nsp

They sound good for adding some detuned grit to your tunes.

pablo64

@SirMpc

Thanks for these! Some great sounds in there. I particularly like 'Bull whisper' which sounds like you've sampled a fart! ...and man, you must've drunk a lot before you recorded preset P63 ;-) Anyway, flushing brilliant, cheers!

Slam-Cut

@SirMpc
Thanks for Light Cycle 1! Nice work! Where did you get those tiny samples (the numbered ones)? Great way to keep the file size small. I'm working on a bank of sample presets and it is a really big file of long samples.
Wishing for the 'sample loop points' feature now...

syrupcore

@ slam-cut check out this thread: http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/1207

m2n2l2

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41818175/501P.nsp

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41818175/Poo-04P.nsp

I never get anything done. If someone else has what it takes, feel free to knock yourselves out :)

Slam-Cut

@syrupcore: thanks for the tip! You Rock!

reusenoise

I made some Eden presets:

WEIRD WORLD: 27 Eden presets in .nsp format,some samples from a vintage VCS3
TRITON:19 samples from a Triton synth in Eden.nsp format
KORG M1: 15 presets from my old M1 workstation in Eden .nsp format
ENSONIQ: 18 synth presets in Eden .nsp format
ANALOG MONSTERS : 22 presets from various vintage analog in Eden . nsp format
ANALOGIZER:22 presets from Z3ta in Eden.nsp format
DUNE: 16 preset made with my commercial DUNE soundset
SONATINA : 40 orchestral samples in Eden.nsp format

DOWNLOAD HERE http://www.reusenoise.com/nanostudio-refills.php

Enjoy