Community NSP and TRG files

227 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

NanoStudio doesn't have a built-in way to sharing presets and banks online so I thought I'd start a new thread where we can post links to .nsp files.

You can make an .nsp file by using NanoStudio's 'Export Project' function. NanoStudio will package up all the presets, samples and banks that your project uses and zip them up into a single compressed file (in fact, you can rename the .nsp file to .zip on your computer if you want to look inside it). For more information on exporting projects check out the manual, page 10.

If you have some presets you'd like to share, here's how you might go about things:

- Decide on your favourite Eden presets (which should be in your global banks A-C)
- Start a new project
- Write your favourite Eden presets to the project bank (ie. preset P00 and upwards)
- Export the project as an .nsp file (manual, page 10)
- Get the project to your computer using NanoSync (manual, page 60)

If you wish, you can also include some TRG instruments or a demo song in your project.

You can host the file yourself or you can send it to contact@blipinteractive.co.uk and I can host the file. If you'd like me to host it, I'd kindly ask that you have at least 16 good presets so I don't get inundated with lots of files with only a couple of good presets!

Blip Interactive

... and the first across the line is sirmcp with no less than two .nsp files, each containing 64 Eden presets and a number of TRG instruments set up and ready to go:

Microwave111.nsp
Nano mod 1.nsp

"it's been awhile since nano mod 1....so I got bored (i'm on vacation) and I made a new spanking nsp file called microwave111. This isn't your grand dad's project bank ladies...it's for those that wnat to walk on the wild side, geared towards expiramental and fsu. It's a bit bigger than nanomod 1 because there are more samples and all of these were created on my ipod or ipad, recorded very lo tech...but that's what gives this mod it's grimey goodness. enjoy. after hearing it u probably won't thank me...you'll hate me."

Lee B

hi all, a new project bank for your perusal!

hope you like it, it's a mixture of pure eden and some patches made in sunrizer geared towards the house side of things, but will fit in with most styles, there's also 3 drumkits included.

link below:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42416701/Good%20to%20go.nsp

enjoy

lee b

pablo64

Hi Blip,

I'd like to contribute some homemade patches/sounds when I've gathered enough of them.
Is it possible to copy an entire bank of patches to the project bank rather than copying them one by one, i.e. batch copy?

Thanks,
P

Blip Interactive

No it's a bit lacking in this area but there are a couple of dirty tricks:

- Use iPhone Explorer (free download, just Google) and delve into the Apps/NanoStudio/Documents/Instruments/Eden folder. Copy the global bank file f your choice to your computer (eg. GlobalC.bnk). Rename the bank to 'Eden.bnk' and stick it in a project (eg. an empty one you've made, replacing the project's existing Eden.bnk

- Make a new, empty project. In the sequencer, make 64 new parts on an Eden track. Select each part in turn and tap More/Properties. Under the Preset tab, tell the first part to use A00, next part to use A01, next A02 etc. Once you're done, save this project because it might be handy for future. Now export the project. The export should detect that you're using all these presets and copy them to the project bank.

The first one's a bit simpler but you need a computer. The second one takes more setting up but once you've done it you can keep the project around and do it again, and you can do it all on the phone. You might be able to speed the setup slightly by copying a part that already has the 'Preset' option enabled.

pablo64

Thanks for the tips Matt/Blip, those are both good workarounds.

I already use iPhone Explorer as I haven't yet set up WiFi on my computer so can't use Nanosync.
I'll give that 1st method a try as it sounds very easy. I've tried that trick of replacing a file and renaming the replacement file before to try and upgrade the built in sounds in various apps which come with poor quality preset soundsets. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on how the original sounds have been encoded I guess. I wish I knew how to code!

So the 2nd method is like inserting 64 program change messages into a song and setting it up as a reusable template, is that right? Nice!

Blip Interactive

Yep the second method just fools the exporter into thinking you're using all 64 presets from the global bank, so it copies them all to the project bank (and any samples they use to the project folder) so that everything's local to the nsp file.

Which now reminds me of the problem with method 1 - the presets in your global banks will often likely refer to samples that aren't going to be copied over.

So actually method 2's actually the only one which will work if your presets use samples :(

Blip Interactive

OK I took pity and hacked up a bit of code to generate some projects using method 2 (life's too short for all that tapping, probably get RSI!). Here's what you need to do:

1. Download this : ExportGlobalBanks.zip
2. Unzip it and copy the contents (3 project folders) to the /Projects folder on your iDevice
3. Load up the project of your choice (ie. export bank A, B or C)
4. Export as nsp
5. Job's a good'un

Let me know how you get on.

MCOBigBen

The support you offer your users is exemplary.

pablo64

Brilliant Matt, thanks so much for your excellent support. I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance.
Now I'm off to bed before the girlfriend starts complaining....!
Cheers,
Paul

pablo64

Thanks again Matt, I've tried it and it works like a dream!
I've noticed that when I load the .nsp file it generates a new project file with the same name.
Am I right in thinking that for my own use I can then delete the .nsp file and use the .prj file to load these sounds to the project bank in future? If so, this would seem like a good way to back up the factory presets also, freeing up banks A, B and C for user patches.
BTW whilst experimenting I accidentally wrote over factory preset A03. It was a bass sound but can't remember the name. Is there a way of restoring the factory presets? If not could somebody please post an .nsp file of just that preset so I can restore the full bank of sounds and then back them up. They are great sounds and I don't want to lose any of them but at the same time it's nice to be able to overwrite everything and get creative!
Many thanks

pablo64

Hi again Matt!
Upon further investigation whilst trying to use this as a method to backup the factory sounds there seems to be a slight bug with the 'Export Bank B' template when I load the project file generated from the .nsp file. Loading the .nsp file itself seems to be ok weirdly.
'Export A' works fine and exactly duplicates Bank A presets when loaded into the Project Bank. 'Export B' seems to shift the whole bank up a number and insert preset A00 (Sweep Teeth) into the first Project Bank slot (P00).
Any idea what's causing that to happen?

Blip Interactive

Whoops yes, that's what you get for hacking without testing. What was happening was that the project contained 4 synths, all set to use A00. Therefore the exporter began by copying A00 to the project bank, then started copying all the presets needed by the sequence. When it got to B62 it had run out of space in the project bank for the last one. If you download the zip again I've fixed this (or you could fix your own copy by setting the synths to use B00 or C00 in the appropriate file).

You can use this technique to back up a global bank to a project at any time, but bear in mind that's there no 'reverse exploit' to copy an entire project bank back to a global bank.

When NanoStudio imports an nsp file, it creates a new 'proper' project so once you've saved this there's technically no need for the nsp file. The nsp file is zipped though, so it's more efficient on storage space which is handy if you use lots of samples.

If you need the original factory default banks, you could download the Windows/Mac version and take the .bnk files from it.

pablo64

Ah, I see........sort of. I will try changing it myself but good to know I can turn to your template if I mess up.
I see what you mean about non reversal of the process. I guess in that case it's just as well to leave the factory presets where they are and just use bank C as a kind of edit buffer for working on new sounds, exporting them to an .nsp file once the bank is full.

Hadn't thought about the PC version to get the .bnk file back, good call.

Finally, and there's no hurry for this but would it be possible to fix the 'shift' key when naming projects for export/saving? Currently it stays on after the second press despite reverting to lower case after the first press. In most apps I've used, the 'shift' automatically de-selects after the first letter of each new word has been typed.

Thanks for your help again Matt.

Blip Interactive

I think the shift key should normally function like a shift lock, aside from automatically coming off after the first character. Do you just mean you'd like it to auto-off after the first character of a new word, as well as after the first character overall?

pablo64

Yes, exactly that!
Currently if typing 'Factory Sounds Bank A' for example, I end up with 'Factory SOUNDS BANK A' as the shift key only disengages automatically after the first word and I have to remember to un-latch it after the first letter of any following words . It's not really a big deal just a slight annoyance as I'm used to it working this way in most other apps and I'm of a generation that doesn't write everything in lower case..! ;-)

Bank Export all sorted now by the way. Thanks for the fix!

Slam-Cut

Bad timing for me to use your new Export Global Bank utility, as I have just copied all of the original presets from Bank A and B to project folders. I will be reorganizing Banks A- C, dropping presets that I don't use and adding new ones that I need. I wonder if I have made a mistake in how I copied the presets, which was just to use Eden on 1 track and manually copy A00 to P00, then A01 to P01, etc. I assume that your utility is just to make this process faster, right? Having done this manually, is there something that won't be copied to a .prj file that would be needed, like a sample?
I don't think I really understood the need for your suggestion of using 64 tracks...

I think I am also missing something with the banks that have been generously donated on this thread. In all of them, Nano Mod 1, Mirowave111, and Good to Go, there are presets that make no sounds. I suspect that I am missing something, like a step of copying all the samples in the .prj file to the appropriate sample folder? With these sound banks, where does Eden look for the samples? Is there a file name required for sample folders?

I didn't have this problem with other banks donated by forum members, and I guess that there was a step that I forgot. I searched the manual, but couldn't find a mention of how to deal with samples in .prj files loaded with Nanosync. Did I miss that part of the manual?

One more related question: is there a recommended way to 'reset' a preset to an 'empty' preset so that I am starting from the beginning without parameters affecting things in unexpected ways because they were not 'reset'? If that makes sense... Something like not realizing that a given effect was adding some reverb that I didn't notice until a couple hours later.

Blip Interactive

You can of course manually copy the global presets to the project bank, the example projects I posted were just a dirty shortcut to do all of them in one go.

Bear in mind that when you manually copy a preset from the global to the project bank, any sample it refers to stays where it is. It is the project export process which relocates all samples in use to the exported project's folder to make a single self contained project suitable for giving to others.

Some of the nsp files on this thread seem to have missing samples, I'm not sure why.

There's no way to reset a preset to default values, but personally I'd just keep a preset dedicated to your favourite setup and copy it in when you need to do this.

pablo64

Hi Slam Cut,

As Matt has kindly been helping me with this subject perhaps I can pass on the favour and try to help you a little!

Copying Presets - Copying A00 to P00, A01 to P01, etc is fine if a little long winded. As far as I know you are only copying the patch information at this stage. If you then save your 'song' as a project file you also save the samples. These can then be loaded back into the project bank at any time. If you export your 'song' you get an .nsp file which is a zipped, self contained song file which can easily be shared with other Nanostudio users.
BTW, the Export Bank utility which Matt conjured up does make this backing up process much faster.
To explain the 64 parts (not tracks). Imagine you have a simple song containing only one Eden synth. You start the song with preset A00. Halfway through you decide to change sounds so you create a new part with a patch change message in it. When you play the song the sound automatically changes to preset A01 at the beginning of the second part. If you now export the song it will include the patch information and any samples required for both presets A00 and A01.
For his utility Matt has repeated this exercise by creating 64 parts, pasting consecutive Bank A,B or C preset numbers into each following part. When you export your song it will contain all the patch and sample information just as in the example above but this time for all 64 bank presets.

Resetting a preset - If all your banks are full simply load a NEW project from the Project Load/Save. This will initialize all presets in bank P. Then either program your new sound/preset in bank P and copy it to bank C or the reverse, copy the 'empty' preset to bank C and program away.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the Nano Mod, Microwave banks problem as I haven't yet downloaded them. Perhaps the creators themselves could help out with that.

Hope this helps

pablo64

Ooops, sorry Matt, didn't realise you'd already answered this ;-/

Blip Interactive

@pablo64 : Yes, dropping to lower case after the start of each word probably makes sense, I'll make a note to change it.

Lee B

That's strange about the missing samples. I'll download my own nsp file to see if it happens at my end, i hadn't noticed it with any of the other banks to be honest. I've just checked the original 'good to go' bank in my nanostudio and all samples are present.
I'll get back to you shortly!

Cheers

Lee

Lee B

Not sure what happened there, it should be o.k now. I've re-uploaded the nsp file to my dropbox and downloaded it to check if all the patches are showing and they are.
I have also turned any insert fx off that were on in the first file, originally i had a little demo song going, but decided to delete it and forgot about the fx!

cheers

lee

Slam-Cut

Thanks Matt and Pablo64!

Just to clarify, if I save all the presets in Bank A and Bank B to new projects, then I erase all the presets in banks A and B, any of the presets that referred to samples will no longer work in my new projects, unless I first export those projects as .nsp files. Right? But there is no need for specific tracks/parts/patterns in order for my new projects to successfully copy the samples for the presets, is there?

Is there someplace on the forum that one could download the original preset banks? It would be nice to have access to that in case I make a mistake and erase presets I wanted to keep...
The idea of copying a blank project file to Bank A or B sounds like a good idea. If I copy blank P00 to A00, P01 to A02, etc., will that effectively erase the entire bank? What I am doing is re-grouping presets to handy sub-groups (bass, pad, lead, etc) across Bank A, B, and C. I have copied presets into new project files, but not started moving things. I started to read this thread and thought I should get some advice before making a big time-consuming mistake...

@Lee B I had assumed that the presets in the Good To Go bank that were not working for me were due to issues with missing samples, and that the presets that did work had been built from scratch in Eden with no samples. Maybe that isn't the case, which leaves me a bit confused on the problem. To help, these are the presets that don't work at all in the bank (on my iPhone 3GS):
P00 - 06, P22, P23, P25 - P33, P35, P45, P51, and P61.

Slam-Cut

on sirmpc's banks, in double checked and found that on Nano Mod 1 all presets do seem to work, and that the issue was just one of volume levels. Some presets are very low volume and I could not hear them until I turned up the volume.

On Mircowave111 I find that these presets do not work:
P12 - P17, P20 - P32, P34, P42 - P46, P48 - P50, P54 - P62.

I am interested to find out what happened so that I don't make the same mistake when saving presets in project files.

Lee B

hmmm, the plot thickens!
There was only 5 missing files when i downloaded the nsp file, it seems that you havn't got any of the samples.
I've re-uploaded it, any chance that you could download it again and let me know how you get on?
I would also like to know if everyone has had this same issue, as it hasn't been mentioned before.

cheers

lee

Slam-Cut

I didn't mention the problem until now because I thought I had neglected to do something on my end. I downloaded the .nsp file again and the problem is still there, with an interesting twist. Now presets P05 and P28 work. They were not working previously, and all the ones I listed previously are still not working.
How do we get the plot to thin out? :o)

Lee B

Right, i've had another look and it seems that when i created the sample patches, i did them when working on different songs, so assumed that when i imported the patches into the 'good to go' project bank it would transfer the samples, i now know that is not the case.
I've now copied all samples into the bank, so fingerscrossed it will work.

please let me know of your findings!

cheers

lee

Zupi

Hi. New and lurking. :P

Just loaded the bank on the PC version and some patches don't produce sounds.
I Opened the .nsp on winrar and had a peek at the Eden.bnk file
Now i am not a programmer but i am pretty sure the problem is the samples the Eden.bnk file refers to, are in different folders, probably your other projects? so that might be the reason why some patches produce sound (those that their samples are referred inside the Good to go folder) while others don't.

Below is the last part of Eden.bnk file which probably shows the sample references:

/User/Projects/Garage of old.prj/Organize.wav + /User/Projects/Good to go.prj/Dark stab.wav , /User/Projects/Good to go.prj/Lush raver.wav 2 /User/Projects/Garage of old.prj/Thin tin stab.wav 2 /User/Projects/Garage of old.prj/Short n sweet.wav - /User/Projects/Good to go.prj/Crystal pad.wav , /User/Projects/Good to go.prj/Crystal-02.wav ( /User/Samples/Eden Factory/VocalPad1.wav . /User/Projects/mim.prj/Intua Pasteboard-02.wav . /User/Projects/mim.prj/Intua Pasteboard-02.wav & /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Superizer.wav " /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Pzazz.wav ' /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Hooverbass.wav ) /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Dark delight.wav % /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Padscape.wav & /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Landlordz.wav 0 /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Intua Pasteboard-12.wav ' /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/Minor stab.wav ' /User/Projects/Rizer.prj/City synth.wav Strings4.wav / /User/Projects/Germain.prj/Intua Pasteboard.wav  Intua Pasteboard-02.wav : /User/Samples/my sounds/DRUMZ/PERCUSSION/Percussion 49.wav 6 /User/Projects/Grand piano.prj/Intua Pasteboard-03.wav . /User/Projects/mim.prj/Intua Pasteboard-02.wav

Hope will get you somewhere. :)

Lee B

Thanks for that, i'd already realized this earlier when checking the .prj folder. I since transferred all the samples into the .nsp file so it should now work.

Btw, how long ago did you download the bank?

Cheers

Lee

Blip Interactive

@Lee B - I've sort of been following this. What seems odd is that:

- When you copy a preset from a global bank then the sample (and the preset's reference to it) remains unchanged

BUT

- Once you export as an nsp, it should then copy all used samples to the project folder and fix up the references to match

So if you exported as an nsp, I'm a bit curious to know where it all went wrong!