Export help

10 replies [Last post]
Mister Ecks

I searched for this topic through the forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm trying to collab with someone, so I exported my track, transferred it to my computer via NanoSync, and tried to email it. BUT...it says the file is too large. So I compressed it and it's still too large. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Blip Interactive

Most mail systems have a limit on what can be sent or received. .nsp files are actually zip archives so in terms of file format they're already close to being as optimal as possible - you may have noticed that when you zipped it it hardly changed in size.

I suspect that your project contains lots of samples, since the song, bank and preset data typically only occupy a few hundred KB. You might be able to weed out unused samples like this:

- Do a 'save as' to take a full copy of your project
- Open the new project's folder in the sample file browser dialogue (eg. tap EDIT on the TRG, choose a pad and tap LOAD)
- Delete all the samples in your 'saved as' project folder which don't have a green tick (ie. the unused ones)
- Now export this project as an .nsp file

This might be a good thing to do if you have lots of unused samples and wish to collaborate over email. Ultimately though you may find that a dropbox is a better solution. There are plenty of free services around which should give you enough space for this purpose.

Mister Ecks

Great, I'll try that when I get home. I appreciate the help!

grindoxsaurus

yeah, resampling wouldn't help would it. because it's the actual samples with in the Project or the folder that are taking up the space?
that would make sense.

MCOBigBen

I was pretty excited when I saw the dropbox allotment as part of the SoundCloud integration, thinking it would be *perfect* for collaborating....only to find SoundCloud locked it down to music files only.

syrupcore

I'd skip the email and get a free dropbox account. https://www.dropbox.com/

irongiant14

I'm trying to weed out unused samples, as described above, and have some questions. Can someone please help untangle this mess I've made of things?

I created a bunch of projects by "saving as" from the Platinum One template project. This way, I had access to all their presets without having to mess around and import a lot of things. For example, in one project I use their preset, string1, in the Project bank. I would expect to see just the sample it is based on, D2_string1, with a green tick in the sample file browser dialogue, since it is the only Platinum One sample I'm actually using on my project timeline. But all the Platinum One samples have green ticks. Can you help me understand why this is so, so I can more easily figure out how to weed out unused samples in these numerous projects?

Also, deleting these unused samples one by one in the sample file browser is really tedious. There doesn't seem to be a way to select multiple files to delete at once. Can I delete the files from the project folder on the desktop and then sync the project back to the phone with Nanosync? Or will this break the project somehow, when it looks for referenced files that are no longer there?

Slam-Cut

I'm not in front of my computer, so I can not say for sure, but I think there isn't an easy way to batch erase samples in projects, however trying to do so with NanoSync is what I would try to do.
I counted 43 samples in that project, which shouldn't really be too big in terms of file size. You'd have to check with NanoSync. I wonder why you need to remove the unused samples? If you have a hundred tracks with those presets in it, I suppose that would get to be big enough to be a concern on some iPhones. Can you not just store completed tracks on a computer and just have works in progress on the iPhone?

At any rate as long as the samples used by presets you are using are in the files when you load the projects back in to Nanostudio, everything should work fine. To avoid this in the future, when a track is finished, you'd have to have a habit of erasing all of the unused samples in the project folder before you save it as a .nsp file. That's a bit tedious as well. I'd vote to live with the extra file size and not have all of your older projects on the iPhone.

irongiant14

Thank you for replying, Slam-Cut.

I'll take your advice and not worry about it too much; move projects off the phone when I complete them. I was just surprised to see my nanostudio folder is almost 5 gigs. This is what I get for fooling around with it for years on end and never really finishing anything! Some of us have an unreasonable aversion to being finished. I want to wrap these projects up so I can move on to the next NanoStudio, whenever Matt gets around to the Universal version. A bulk delete process would be great, if it can be implemented in future versions. I liked being able to listen to the presets in a project to help me hear what colors i could paint with.

Slam-Cut

Yeah, I think it's great to start off with the Project bank full of presets, just to get started. Then sometimes I'll copy other presets in to the Project bank that work well for the track, tweak some presets, and create new presets that add something to the track. The problem that I run in to is that after that project is done, and I save the project as an .nsp file, I forget to make a copy of the new presets I create so that I can use them elsewhere. It would be nice to be able to go through project files and move presets around for use in other projects. Looks like NS2 handles that by just having unlimited presets. Gotta love that.

Get busy finishing up those projects! If iPad version is out in Dec, I'd guess sometime by March 2018 the universal version would be out. The hard part is resisting starting a new project when there are so many projects to be finished up. :o)

irongiant14

I never thought of that detail, that my own presets aren't available elsewhere for other projects! That's a cool idea. I guess I could make my own personal preset collection folder, if I dive that deep. Thanks again for the responses!