Android version planned?

11 replies [Last post]
plabba

Is there a chance, that sometime time nanostudio landed also on my android phone?

Blip Interactive

Not until they get their act together with audio latency, no. Shame really because NanoStudio's written to be cross platform.

Lylt

I was wondering in what aspect you mean audio latency, is it a hardware or software issue?
Im a fairly new android user and although I love the phone im dissapointed by the general quality of the apps available (despite people always going on about its scope and potential).

The nanostudio is exactly what ive been searching for and nothing for the android comes close to how good it looks.

So, what im getting at is, can you see it (or anything similar) hitting the android market anytime soon!?

Thanks!

Blip Interactive

I'm not really sure if it's hardware, software or both. If you're of a technical inclination there's a thread about it here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434

mastazi

I was watching this video, and it seems that there are some news on realtime audio on Android platform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3pdWBlZ34

I hope this can help

plabba

Hope dies last ... :-(

Blip Interactive

Yes, it seems that Gingerbread gives developers a new API (read 'thing to use') which has the capability of delivering lower latency audio. However, it seems that capability doesn't seem to be available yet, at least on the current phones.

noniceguy

How are the chance for an android version now ? I mean it's been half a year since the last person asked for it and in the meantime many devices should be capable of handling the programm. There are actually no real ''alternatives'' in the android market, so chances are great the app will be the first choice for people produciing mobile for a long time. Which means a lot of cash ! :P
I believe sales won't be as great as on iOS, however android is growing and google is planning to add new payment options in the near future, which means another grow. I mean the problem can't be the hardware--I mean, if there are problems just limit the availability of devices...

I am looking forward to an answer, and hopefully there are some news regarding the subject !

Greets from Germany :)

Blip Interactive

Indeed. Looking at this thread:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434

... it seems that the problem continues. However, towards the bottom of the thread (the most recent posts), someone points out that the cretinously named 'Ice Cream Sandwich' will " ... introduce a new native API based on Khronos OpenMAX AL 1.0.1". Putting a fair amount of cynicism to one side (there seem to have been several attempts at a decent audio interface), let's head on over to the Khronos site to see what it's all about:

http://www.khronos.org/openmax/al/

Hmm. From the block diagram, OpenMAX AL appears to sit on top of the whole stack like an overweight elephant attempting to balance on the shoulders of a hippo (OpenMAX IL) which happens to be riding a Cheetah (OpenMAX DL). If that analogy's served only to confuse, the point I'm getting at is that it would be a lot more reassuring if OpenMAX AL was the cheetah and all the other animals found their own rides.

Also, the Android 4.0 platform notes say, 'The API is implemented on the same underlying services as the platform’s existing OpenSL ES API'. Again, this isn't reassuring because OpenSL has had poor latency, and OpenMAX AL appears to have been given access to the hardware at the same level.

Maybe the problem's in OpenSL, and the OpenMAX stuff will bypass it. Alternatively, maybe developers also get access to the OpenMAX IL or DL levels. Or, (worst case) the phones themselves (or their firmware drivers) still have a problem, and we're going to have to wait for another generation of phones before the situation improves.

The only thing to do for now is wait for Android 4 to come out and see what happens.

monsieurfreeze

Hi there.

Another guy waiting for you on android. (among millions :) )
Hope to see you sooner than expected on android market !

Greets.

Blip Interactive

Interestingly, Image Line have given a sneak preview of FL Studio Mobile running on Android devices. I think it's more an exercise in getting their code 'Android ready' - they say themselves that audio latency's a problem no one should expect a release at the moment.

I've used the iPad development to get NanoStudio 'resolution independent' so it can run devices with screen resolutions other than iDevice. It's the most I can do towards the Android goal at the moment.

Galaxyexplorer

I see the other problem in the great accessories....like the Synthstation 25... android phones all have different proportions.... i was going to change to android ones but after they make every half year a new phone with other (bigger) proportions you can throw away your accessories. Iphone screen is small but i hope they don't change it...: )