Nanostudio and the Alesis i0 Dock - midi issues

63 replies [Last post]
jonnyb0y

The problem is not with the host system... the problem is with Alesis' product.

Use an iPad with any other midi capable iConnector and it works perfectly, except for the io dock.

The thing just plain doesn't do what it's supposed to when it comes with midi. Here's to hoping they fix it... That thing was expensive!

dalasv

Looks like a new firmware came out today. Did this help anyone? I just got my iO Dock yesterday and only experienced one stuck note when I was messing around with it. Haven't tested the new firmware yet, but I did install it.

eljefe300300

WOW! I am very excited for this myself, iodock owners please test! I really wanna snag one of those!

davide37

I've downloaded the firmware and the updater but the instructions refer to Mac OS X with no mention of what one should do if the iO Dock is attached to a PC. Any ideas, anyone?

davide37

I've downloaded the firmware and the updater but the instructions refer to Mac OS X with no mention of what one should do if the iO Dock is attached to a PC. Any ideas, anyone?

doctmabs

Hello to all, I would like to thank everyone for bringing this io DOCK Stuck notes problem to this Forum. I purchased my Alesis io DOCK 8/17/2011 hoping to use it as a keyboard module. That being said, right out of the box when i hooked it up midi from my Yamaha mm6 to the io dock using Garageband the GB keyboards sounded great. I think the first time i hit the sustain pedal i got a note stuck, is was E flat in the third octave. I did take a chance and used it on a live gig. It work perfect for that day and we played two four hour gigs. That was last week on Saturday. I tried to use it the next day sunday and the stuck note thing was back and is to this day. Any help from this forum much apprecited. THANKYOU, DOC T...

eljefe300300

DOC T, have you gotten the firmware update?

this poison

My Mac is still on an older OS - I can't upgrade or my old Powercore and various plug-ins will suffer so I'm hoping a PC version will follow soon.

Hope this update does fix the issue.

Out of interest I have had one session where the IO Dock performed faultlessly - then the next day it was back to it's old tricks.

As someone suggested previously, there is something to do with the order things are switched on, what's already running, the phase of the moon or something similar.

Either way I can't repeat that one good day, so for now all my eggs are in the "new firmware" basket!

Here's hoping.

doctmabs

I haven't done the firmware update yet. there are no instructions on how to do it!!! I don't know what's up with Alesis, but this situation is making them look pretty bad.There is like no support for io Dock customers. I would really love to be able to midi up my yamaha mm6 and have full size key's so I can lay some tracks in my nano Studio. If anyone knows how to do the firmware update from a PC to iPad 2 please let me know...It would be much appreciated,Thank You,DOC T

Slam-Cut

Request: I've been keeping up with this thread, hoping that all issues will be resolved before I go out an buy one of these. Please let me (and the rest of the interested readers on this forum) when the issues are resolved and the iO Dock is reliable to use. I appreciate your input! Thanks!

Blip Interactive

I too would be very interested in the outcome. I tried Googling thinking that might help, but this thread came up almost at the top!

sloanwolf

Count me in with the frustrated.

I tried running the firmware updater and it crashed on my MacBook Pro, OS 10.6, so I couldn't test if the update helped.

fthrofone

The installation instructions are in a readme.txt file that is inside the installer zip file. There are two zip files you need. The installer and the actual update file. Once you unzip the installer file there will also be a readme file that should unzip to wherever you tell it to. After the installer is installed, then of course you drag the update file, as instructed in the readme to a specific section of the installer and the installer takes over from there.

I did my update from a Macbook pro and had no problems. I haven't tested for the hanging notes yet, but I will either later this evening or tomorrow and will be glad to give an update.

Regarding a Windows version, I just looked back at the Alesis website and sure enough there is NO installer for Windows. I have NO idea what Alesis was thinking with this move. I have an Apple but I know Windows still dominates the market....go figure.

Distraub

I tried before the firmware update and had some stuck and hanging notes in Garageband, updated the firmware, and didn't have any after that, and went on a binge from app to app, no stuck notes. I did this all in one night though, since I had not used the midi yet, on my new io dock, and wanted to test thoroughly to make sure I was keeping it.

-distraub

fthrofone

As I said I would I tested the device after the update and did NOT have any sticking notes nor did I notice any notes dropping out. This is a win for all of the road warriors!

this poison

Many thanks both for testing - hopefully the light is at the end of the tunnel and a PC version is en-route too.

Guess what though - despite the promise to email me when a fix was available - I've heard nothing from Alesis. Maybe they know I'm running an older OSX and will tell me when the PC version is available, then again.... ;-)

davide37

I emailed Alesis UK about the update and the response was as follows:

"Hello David,

As it stands, unfortunately it is only possible to update via PC. The update is only possible if your using a mac.
Our development team are currently working on a PC version but unfortunately I do not have a timescale of when it will be available.
Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.
If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate in emailing us back.

Kind Regards,
--
RICK MAIA
After Sales Support Advisor
Numark | Alesis | Akai Pro | ION Audio | MixMeister | ▲LTO Pro
Numark Alesis Europe Ltd
Unit 3 Nexus Park, Lysons Avenue
Ash Vale, Hampshire, GU12 5QE
+44 (0) 1252 896040
rmaia@numark.com

It is rather surprising that they've released a Mac-only update and it's annoying that there's no ETA for the PC version. But at least they're updating the thing...

eljefe300300

the alesis website wont give me the friggin update!!!!!!

dalasv

Well, like I said before, I had only just got my iO Dock before seeing this thread, and only experienced one weird stuck note (higher than I was playing, which seems to be common for this "bug"). After installing the firmware update, I tried three different apps and can't get any notes to stick, so I think it's a success? I'll report back if I get stuck notes again.

People without Macs: Maybe just find someone who has a Mac? The update takes no time at all, so you wouldn't be much of a bother to your friend.

eljefe300300

Ok, I got the update and it works. Alesis is awesome again.

decrepitude

Here's the link to the new firmware request page:
http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/235236

decrepitude

Edit:

The link on the Alesis site was broken.

decrepitude

Pleeeeeeeez! :-)

decrepitude

Apparently there was a broken link on the Alesis site - fixed today. Just downloaded, but will test tonight.

decrepitude

I can confirm now the firmware update solves the stuck notes problem. At first I was thinking it had not since when I first launched Nano Studio after the update, the stuck note was still ringing from the last session. (I was so disgusted with the IO dock that I immediately exited NS before hitting the panic.) So I restarted the iPad, opened a new session and everything seems to be working great.

Btw, I was experimenting with an MPC500 driving NS through the IO Dock last night having great fun. I can honestly say that the TRG sounds just as good (if not better) than drums from the MPC. Nano Studio is simply amazing.

Token21

For me the midi-issue seems also to be solved by the update. But from time to time I have the problem that my recordings contain crackles. When this happens, the only solution is to restart the app, then its ok again. This happens in every app i've tryed so far and is totaly random. so about every ten times, i start an app.

I don't know if this is a hardware or a software issue. Does anybody else have this problem?

this poison

I've not seen the crackling issue on my set-up - iPad 2 and the usual app suspects (Nanostudio - the #1 for me, GB, iMS20, Rebirth, Sunrizer etc etc).

I am constantly aware that iPad doesn't ever close any apps down automatically, so before using any audio apps I manually close everything else down. Amazing what can still be open if you don't.

A couple have people have referenced the order in which you turn things on seems to have an impact too - there's maybe some minor conflicts going on in the background with open apps?

Hopefully someone might have a solid solution, especially if it's a common issue.

Incidently, I SEEM to have installed the new firmware via the new PC installer, but it never completed it's cycle (saying it was awaiting a confirmation from the device that the upgrade was finished). This never came (even after hours) so I just powered off and disconnected.

The midi issue is gone - no hanging notes or problems so I'm hoping all is well. Anyone else get a hanging installation ?

(Oh, the irony of the fix for hanging notes, well, hanging!).

iO Dock is now a major positive for me with Nanostudio.

Token21

Regarding your firmware update: With the mac-installer you are able to switch between video-output through the dock-port or the ipad-screen, I think this should be with the win-installer the same. probably this switching-feature has to be supported by the new firmware, so this could be a way for you to detect if the transfer was successfull. You can switch to internal-output and check, if youtube-videos are displayd on your ipad-screen. You can also try to run the installer in admin-mode, perhaps this helps.

wrayrat

Hi to everyone,

As an iPad owner, and a musician, I'm very interested in buying the io dock. But the midi issues are making me question whether I should spend my cash on it just yet.

I've just noticed that there is now a Windows firmware update available. Has anyone downloaded this and does it fix the midi issue?

this poison

Seems that many people (myself included) have found that the update solves the original problem of hanging notes.

There may be other issues of course, but I am now more than happy with the iO Dock and have no regrets about buying one.

I'm still a little annoyed about how long Alesis took to solve a problem that should never have reached production, but that's in the past now (I had to wait for the Windows update as my OSX is older).

All in all it's (now) a solid interface solution for the iPad for me and I would certainly miss it if it was gone.