"Bank File Missing" Error

7 replies [Last post]
JVern1987

Greetings All:

I noticed that this error was reported a little while ago, but not sure if it has been resolved fully. Right now, with certain songs that I try to load, I am receiving the "Bank File Missing" error. This isn't for every song, so this is sort of bizarre.

Is the song lost forever or will it eventually load? I have tried resetting the iPod Touch and re-booting NanoStudio multiple times, no luck so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Blip Interactive

This occurs when you attempt to load a project and it can't find the Eden project bank file in the project folder. However, it's usually indicative of a more general problem - the bank file just happens to be the first one it loads and checks.

I've had a report of this very occasionally but I've never been able to pin it down to anything specific. The project saving should normally be fairly robust in normal use because NanoStudio should keep back up files and do a 'hot swap' only once the file has been saved successfully. Have you upgraded the app recently, or had a crash on save, or anything else you can think of?

Unfortunately there's a chance that your project could be lost, or it could just be the bank file that's not loading and the other important files (the song and the project setup) are still intact. If you use NanoSync, you can connect it to your device and look at your project's folder. It should look something like this:

+ /Projects/.prj
- Eden.bnk
- Package.sng
- Package.prj

You may also see some wav files and backups (.bak) or autosaves (.as) in there too but these 3 are the important ones. If one of them is missing you may be able to 'steal' it from another project. Depending on which file you had to steal, you may find that the sounds or sequence is different but it could be better than nothing.

JVern1987

Thank you for the info.

With regard to crashing, I believe I have had that happen recently as well. In addition, most of the time that I try to open NanoStudio, it doesn't give me the prompt option of loading prior save or autosave. It also loads drum pads that, while the program itself recognizes the action, I cannot hear them at times and the drum kit pads are in red font.

What is odd though is that I can load a different song, it loads fine, and the drumkit loads fine. The song I may have lost had the autosave (.as) and the backup (.bak) in addition to the main file so that is why this is so odd to me that it wouldn't load.

I will try to copy the bank from another project using NanoSync as well. Worse comes to worse, I'll just re-do the song.

Thanks for the support!

Blip Interactive

Are you running V1.21? V1.2 had a problem where it wouldn't always autosave if it was killed when running in the background if the foreground app needed more memory.

If you want you can zip up your .prj folder and send it to contact@blipinteractive.co.uk. I can have a look at it to see if I can repair it.

Lee B

Ah, this has reared its ugly head for me for the first time.
I thought I'd do some house keeping and free up a bit of space on my bloated 16 gig iPad 4, so converted some projects to .NSP's and exported a few, then, probably stupidly on my part, deleted the original projects. Now, on needing to return to one to make a slight change, it won't unwrap the .NSP, saying bank file is missing. Oddly, on another song where I didn't delete the project, but still converted to NSP, that won't open either, with the same message again.
It was a project that had evolved and was saved in stages one, two and three. I had deleted the earlier one and two versions, but the third and final still remains. I've got a feeling there's no going back.
When I get a chance, I might check out some of your suggestions regarding Nanosync.
Keeping fingers crossed, but not getting hopes up.

Lee

Slam-Cut

I don't know the root cause of this issue, but the first thing I would do is try opening the .nsp file on another iDevice or on a PC/Mac version of NS. As Blip previously suggested, maybe swapping another eden.bnk file might enable the unwrapping of the .nsp file?

This is a scary situation. I'm hoping that we might be able to look forward to some sort of PC/Mac NanoSync 2 that will have more file checking and librarian features. The music we create is only as safe as the file saving features of NS (and iOS in general). Workarounds might include opening saved .nsp files on another iDevice prior to deleting from original device. That's a tough lesson to have to learn the hard way. Sorry for your troubles Lee.

Lee B

Thanks Slam Cut.

Luckily I've retrieved one of them, originally it had a different name and was in the same state as the renamed version .
I'll have a dig about and see if I can get the others working somehow.

Cheers

Lee

Slam-Cut

What did you do? Did you find a different .nsp file or did you try swapping out the eden.bnk?
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully we can learn how to avoid this.