Samples not importing

16 replies [Last post]
handymartian

I've converted my files to .wav and 44.100 but I keep getting this message when trying to copy them onto my iphone with Nanosync:

File Convert failed
Couldn't read file. Check that it is uncompressed PCM

I used AudioMove to convert them and as far as I am aware they are uncompressed. I have previously tried converting them with quicktime and itunes with the same result at the end.

I'm on a PPC mac with OSX 10.5.8

Thanks.

Blip Interactive

Apologies, this is a PPC problem I'm afraid. I should really mention this on the download link or take out the PPC option altogether.

The problem is that in the time taken to add support for some older Macs, I could add copy and paste support or something else that loads of people are asking for.

I do have plans to fix this at the time I add support for 24 bit wav transfer, but it will be some weeks off.

tripwire

First up, huge respect to you Blip for creating an amazing app and a big hello to all you lot on here...seems like you got a really good thing going on with this NanoStudio community.

I've been looking in every now and then on here since getting NS on my iPhone ages back, but I now have an iPad 2 and am loving getting back into this fantastic software. I downloaded some free Loopmasters samples straight from your site Matt, but they're not showing up in the iPad TRG Banks folder. I created a sub folder within TRG and NanoSync on my Mac is showing them as being in there, even the sub folder's name is showing up, but no samples I'm afraid. NanoSync tells me they have been uploaded to the iPad, but I just get a blank screen within that folder. The weird thing is, they are importing to my iPhone no problem when I connect that but no joy on the pad.

Any help is much appreciated!

tripwire

Cancel my last...found it! Still getting used to finding my way around on here!

Can't wait for the update in a few weeks. Beta version looking wicked.

rocknrao

Same basic problem as Tripwire. Downloaded samples, unzipped and nanosynced into TRG Banks folder on ipad2.

Cannot find them in nanostudio now.

Stiksi

The TRG banks folder is for TRG banks, not samples. The Samples folder is for samples.

TRG banks are presets containing the settings for all 16 pads as well as the samples. Check the FAQ on how to get samples into the TRG or Eden. The link is at top left of the page.

Ten Tigers

Hi does anyone know how and which apps can be linked to Nano to provide a better range of 'effects' for music making. Many thanks

syrupcore

Ten tigers, start a new thread in the general discussion area. You can't exactly do real time external effects in Nanostudio but you'll be more likely to get answers in its own thread.

rocknrao

This is the procedure I'm following that isn't yielding satisfactory sample loading results...

"You will need a Windows PC or Mac with a WiFi connection and a copy of NanoSync, available from the Download page. All the samples packs on this page are in zip format, so one you have downloaded them you will need to unzip them to a folder of your choice. Transfer the unzipped files to your phone by dragging and dropping them into NanoSync. We recommend copying them to NanoStudio's 'TRG Banks' folder. For help on using NanoSync you can download the PDF manual, also found on the Download page."

Is there a more detailed section on sample loading in the PDF? I didn't see it on my initial skim through.

Stiksi

Rocknrao, that's not what you are doing. Make a step-by-step list of what you do. Like this: 1. Open Nanosync, 2. Navigate to the samples folder on my phone 3. Open finder and drag all the samples over to Nanosync … and so on. This will give us an idea of what you are doing. Right now, I have no idea. I have a suspicion, you're confusing TRG banks and samples and that's the problem but I won't know until you tell me what you're actually doing.

Another thing, you quoted the loopmasters instructions on getting their stuff into nanostudio and unfortunately those instructions are pretty bad. Blip wrote a good summary in the FAQ:

"Here's a step by step guide for getting the Loopmasters samples onto your phone:

1 - Download a zip file (eg. LM_TribalHouse.trg)
2 - Unzip it to somewhere on your computer (eg. Desktop)
3 - Find the folder inside which ends in .trg (eg. LM_TribalHouse128.trg)

then using NanoSync:
4 - Connect and browse to the /TRG Banks folder
5 - Drag the whole folder on your computer (which ends with .trg) into NanoSync

finally on the phone:
6 - Go to the TRG instrument and tap BANK IMPORT
7 - Choose your bank (shown with a blue grid icon)
8 - Tap import"

This doesn't actually deal with samples but TRG banks (which contain samples among other things) so it won't help you with individual samples.

I highly recommend you spend some time reading through the manual. It's pretty good.

rocknrao

Your step by step guide sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm doing to get the samples (or trg folders) onto my ipad.

I'll elaborate more when I am able to get home and open things up a bit.

syrupcore

@rocknroa are you trying to copy samples over or trg folders? If folders, make sure they a) have a .trg at the end of their name and b)have a file inside them called package.trg

rocknrao

I downloaded (and unzipped) a bunch of stuff from this page http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/samples.php
and followed the directions posted at the top of the page, which apparently only apply to the Loopmasters stuff.

I was under the assumption at first that following those directions would work for samples and trigger banks, until it didn't.

Then I tried to erase the samples and re-load them, using nanosync, into the TRG or Samples folders, depending on what file extensions they had on them, like .trg into the TRG folder, and .wav into the Samples folder.

This also did not work.

In order to replicate the exact step-by-step sequence of what I did, I'm afraid I will have to make another attempt and document all my steps, which I haven't gotten around to yet.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do that in the next day or so.

tom_tm

Are the samples 16bit or 32bit? This has caught me out before, as most sample editors default to a 32bit resolution, and NS only reads 16bit ones.

syrupcore

The trg kits are folders. They have a .trg extension. That folder has a package.trg file and a set of up to 16 .wav files. Ignore the contents of this folder. Just grab the entire folder ("kitname-blah.trg") and drag it into nanosync once your iWhatever is ready to go and displaying the /TRG banks folder.

Then in NS, go to a trg instrument and tap the 'import' button. You should see "kitname-blah".

rocknrao

Syrupcore, I think your suggestion might've just worked. I'm in the middle of doing a mixdown, but I see the new .trg files in the load menu for the trg instrument in nanostudio, on the ipad.

I think the mistake I've been making has been to use the send to device feature in nanosync, instead of just drag and drop.

More later.

Thanks!

RnR

Stiksi

Hope it works out!