NanoStudio for Honeycomb 3.0?

15 replies [Last post]
bigglesriviera

I've read a few blogs about Android having latency issues for their smart phones, im looking at getting an Acer Iconia A501 with Android Honeycomb 3.0, im just wondering if NanoStudio will ever be available for it?
I'm hoping they have improved the issues with the new software.

Blip Interactive

I'm keeping an open mind to it. The main priority right now is the iPad, but I'm going to use the iPad development work to improve support for other screen resolutions with other tablets in mind. I have to say that I find the Google tablet market pretty confusing at the moment, and feel a bit wary about early adopting in such a fast changing market. My inclination would be to let the dust settle for another 6 months yet.

KlaatuNinja

I don't know if android will ever have decent low latency, the problem is all the different hardware/manufactures. It's too fragmented. Honeycomb still has bad latency.

gilesjuk

Android's primary development language is a sort of Java rip off (hence the court case). The class structure is different and the VM works slightly different but it ain't native code. You can load native libraries and call functions from the Java code, but it's not exactly fun to program? You also have garbage collection to worry about, nothing causes pauses and stutters more than garbage collection. Pretty bad for realtime audio.

On iOS you can use C and objective C which compiles to native code, performance will always be better without having an interpreter in the way (think emulated CPU). Not to mention iOS doesn't have garbage collection in the way that the Dalvik VM does.

I remember hearing an anecdote of a games developer, he ported his iOS game to Android and the frame rate halved. Sure, some optimisation to do no doubt, but I'm sure programming iOS is a lot easier life?

ssante

at least 6 months. What a mess. Blip, I developed corporate apps for 12 years using C, C++ on Sun Solaris so I understand completely what your saying. I think Google has a lot of good ideas but there marketing and development strategy has along ways to go. Its almost like to many hands are in the pot and ruin the whole meal. Apple has such a strong vision. To me it's all about the apps. That's one reason I purchased iPad2. Would have liked an un-tethered tablet with full IO and standard filesystem? You bet!! But at the end of the day the IOS OS works wonders for music on the go and nothing else comes close.

atlatnessiti

Yeh, what a shame, but it looks that it is an ongoing problem (2 years!) that Google is simply refusing to address:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434

Blip Interactive

I've been following that Google issue thread for almost 2 years, and have added my own voice to it. Several times I've expected to look at that page and find someone posting to say that it's been solved in the latest version, but it hasn't happened yet!

Apple certainly nailed the audio capabilities of their devices right from the start, and then followed up with Core MIDI afterwards for a nice flourish. As far as I understand it, the trouble with Android devices is that although Google sets a base hardware spec for the manufacturers to follow, they can't be too tight on this spec for fear of alienating them.

Another byproduct of this is the variety of different screen sizes, resolutions and aspect ratios to support. It sounds trivial but supporting all of these (and future testing when making changes) can be as much if not more work than the initial port. It's another reason why I'm holding on to see if certain configurations start becoming the accepted standard.

To come back to the original point, I know that audio latency is an issue on the handset devices. The state of play on the tablets seems a lot less clear.

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

It's really a shame...i was thinking about change to android because of apple's restrictions, but without such good music apps NEVER! Next problem is i heard a lot about piracy and the payment options are really bad and many people want only FREE ware! I think a developer (a friend of me is developer for ios and android) can earn much more money on ios. And i know you need a lot of work and money to realize such great apps like NanoStudio and i don't understand this opinion "i want everything for free". No one likes to work hard and get no money for it or? It's simple to copy apps on android and develope it as your own! Security must get better. Android smartphones have really good hardware but without good software... no way.
Sorry about my grammar (school english)

dendy

android will end same as windows... becasue of tons of various HW, to be compatible with all of them, it will be unstable, full of bugs not as well tuned as iOS .. it's same story like windows vs. osx ... it's simply easier to tune OS when it is used only at few speciffic hardware types.. that is reason why OSX will always be more stable and faster than windows and iOS will be always step ahead before android. just my opinion, don't be mad at me.

Mmmhh... but different hardware on windows devices are not really a problem for develovers but on android... why? I think android will be the most used mobile os in the future but many people don't no that they still using it on there smartphones. If google not solve some problems i see a bad future despite global dominance of there os. That's the price of "open source"!

neut

No chance of beta testing then eh eh ! :P

atlatnessiti

No chance until Google will get their act together I'm afraid which by the looks of it could never happen - music production is just not high enough on Googles priority list...
Android is destined for mainstream and business user, not audio/sound producer.

neut

Apparently the SU-PREME MPA team have solved the latency issue. Will be interesting to see how this app evolves

But it's only a sample based app with a simple on shot keyboard. That's far far away from apps like nanostudio but it's a beginning.

tom_tm

I don't know if you chaps saw this;

http://9to5mac.com/2011/12/09/motorola-scores-major-in-german-patent-sui...

I'm really hoping that maybe just perhaps, it may end up as this (but an iOS mobile version :-) );

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_clone

(note the maker!!!)

Liberalquilt

it's pathetic the way all these technology firm are competing with each other via the law courts, rather than just allowing customers to make up their minds about what to buy.