Effects explanation

4 replies [Last post]
ANO

I'd appreciate anybody's help on this one.

I'm becoming pretty fluent with what nanostudio does. I understand most of the settings/tools and how they should be used. What is throwing me for a loop, however, are the effects. Now I understand "what" the effects do. I've used nearly all of them in one respect or another over my course as a musician. What I don't understand, however, is how to place them.

In version 1.2 I can either have the insert effects, pre-fade effects or send effects. I know how to put them on and how to adjust them, but what I'm not sure of is what the reasons for putting an effect in one spot or another is. I've yet to find a good explanation/tutorial on this either.

Does it have to do with processor power? Does using the same effect (say Compression for example) in a Send and then putting two instruments through it use less CPU power than if I put an individual compressor on each instrument as a pre-fader? Or is there some other reason why one would be better than the other? This is really my biggest stumbling block with the NS and I would love to get it cleared up so I can finally just start making music rather than constantly trying to learn a new feature.

MoltenBlob

Hi Ano, I'll give you my 2 cents.
You're right in that you will save processor power by using the sends. They are great for effects like reverb and delay where you only want to send a percentage of your signal through them. You can still do this in the inserts with reverb for example having a wet/dry knob but you would need a separte reverb in every instrument. In general you wouldnt use compression on a send. You would only be compressing the effected part of the signal but the dry signal would still be going down the mixer channel.

In general:
Use the sends to give an overall similar pressence to the tracks.
Use inserts to individualize the sounds

mb

LoveAurell

Basically it's up to you where you want to place it and how you want it to sound.

Sends are often used for reverb and delays, where you don't want the whole signal to be processed. Then you can choose how "wet" or "dry" you want the sound with the send knobs on the Eden or TRG. One other good thing with sends is that you can route several channels to the same send channel, so they share the same reverb unit. So yes, it may save cpu power.

Compressors and equalizers are mostly used as inserts, because you usually want the whole sound to be processed when using such effects.

If you have an insert chain with a reverb and a compressor it can sound very different depending on which order you put them in. If the reverb is first, it gets affected by the compressor and you may get a "pumping" sound. If the reverb is last it kicks in after the compressor and is left unaffected. The reverb will sound more open and less....eh.... compressed :)

syrupcore

compressor on a bus can be great! You send the drums to a bus, compress it to within an inch of it's life and mix this in with the straight uncompressed signal. Uncompressed gives the attack, compressed gives the oomph. 1.2 and all the effects has made me hanker for more sends. :) and sends on the sends (which would effectively turn them into busses).

instrument effects are probably best used if you always want to have that with the sound.

ANO

Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to have to give syrupcores idea a try. Always looking for a new sound to play with