NanoStudio V1.2 is now available

108 replies [Last post]
brickwindow

It's definitely quicker. When I close out and do any type of app switching it re-opens noticeably swifter than before.

jbonnell4394

Yeah I have noticed that as well.. It's running awesome... Hey Matt you have made alot of musicians very happy. Thank you so much.. spent about 2 or 3 hours last night messing with it.. I'm having no trouble at all it's runing just perfect for me.. and again
thanks for the font color change in the eden patch bay.. SO much better... :-)

noda

This is REALLY impressive. Seriously, you nailed it, definitely worth the wait. The 5$ upgrade is totally well earned!!! And next update is ipad support... That is the most expensive I've bought on the app store yet the best worth the price I paid for it. And just seeing how well thought everything is in nanostudio, as well as you keeping supporting your app this much really makes it an exception app. You have no real competitor, at least not for music lover like me.

Keep going, please!!! :-)

PS: I really hope that someday Apple change its policy about apps executing external code... I would love a nanostudio plugin SDK and would be the first on the line to create effects/instruments for it ;)

Br8zinn

Ouch...I'm in the middle of production and I have always cherished nano studio.....but I just downloaded the update....bought the new app purchase and it's not
Working and it's actually nightmare
Worse....I have iPad version 3.2. Do I need to upgrade my iPad..??..cause not only are my x or y finger effect controls not working,,,no red dot...just a black screen...but my top keyboard is cut in half...and when I push track number 8 it doesn't take me to the keyboard like the regular
Tracks it takes me to another blank black screen that is non functional....I wouldn't have updated or bought the new track purchase if I knew this....now what.....can someone please
Help....or is there a tech. Support phone number....HELP....please..

cyberheater

@ Br8zinn
I'm running NS on my iPad and it's working great. Also did the upgrade no problem. I'm running iOS version 4.3

Maybe you need to upgrade.

brickwindow

@ Br8zinn, im on a ipad 2 running 4.3 and it works great. Have you tried doing a backup and system restore. If you call apple the first thing they are going to do is ask if you're running the latest updated OS. They will basically tell you to back up and perform a system restore, and probably upgrade before offering any troubleshooting advice.

lagares

im on ipad 2 ... no problems ... just a crash when connect the Digital Video adapter

Br8zinn

I'm thinking of doing that,but I would like to here from nano about this cause before updating
I looked at the system requirements and it doesn't say that the update or the app or the purchases require system 4.o or so...thus this is my only computer except and old g3 Mac and
Apple said they would fo it for me but I would lose everything in memory..and I have been doing
Fine with the way it was...I just got excited cause I have turned so many people on to nano but like everyone else I saw more and wanted it ....lol..now I have nothing..I mean my songs are still in tack..but half a piano now,,,no x or y and no new tracks to play with....and it's not bout the
Money cause gosh nano is worth more then what we all have paid for it...but I don't want to lose
Stuff if I don't have to,,,,not my music cause that has been dumped into my alesis workstation
Just pix of my artwork....anyhow guess there is no answer here ....so I'll call apple.....if anybody
Can help..I really would appreciate it..I was just about to start finishing a song,,,of which I use effects boxes through I rig interface and record my ax and audio licks through the sample
Trigger pads,,,thus having my ax and background vocal licks ready to trigger hem I want to....
You get some great licks and riffs this way....but now....lol..I'll wait..I guess ...then call apple
Tomorrow if all else fails......k....I'm fAding to blk now....

Micgees

Im quite sure if you dl the latest os
Restore from backup
Then hard start the unit...its all gravy

Before i did anything i would hold the home button and the top right button until the red slider comes...then slide er over and then do the same to restart.

This fixes like 70% of all problems

JoshuaLee

I hate to say it, but the lack of mutes is a real deal-breaker for me. I kinda wish I could go back to the old version now, to be honest. I would rather have the mutes than any of the new stuff that's been added, even as cool as it is...

I would pay $5 as an in-app purchase just to get the mutes back.

Seriously, is there any way I can go back to the older version now that I've already upgraded?

shimmy

"...I hate to say it, but the lack of mutes is a real deal-breaker for me. "

MUTES? You mean on the SONG EDITOR screen? They are there still on the SONG EDITOR screen.
You can toggle them when you tap on the EXPAND TRACK INFO on the left side.

jaybry84

Over mutes? You gotta be f-ing kidding me.

Liberalquilt

The muting options were more flexible in the old version but it's only a couple more clicks to get to the song editor if you are not already on that screen. The solo function is a good trade off anyway. The only negative for me on 1.2 is that it doesn't look quite as good as the old version, but then 'less is more' in design terms, but not in terms of functionality.

Blip Interactive

@Br8zinn - NanoStudio should work fine on any version of iOS from 3.1.2 onwards. I keep an iPod at 3.1.2 for testing, admittedly my iPad is now at 4.3.2 but I'm pretty sure that the iOS version is not your problem. I gather you've tried fully powering off etc.

From talking to other developers it seems that sometimes an install will fail for no particular reason. I would normally recommend deleting the app and re-installing, but obviously you don't want to lose your projects. Despite the display looking weird, is the app usable enough to enable NanoSync? If you can do that then you should be able to get your projects. If that fails, you should be able to copy all your data files using something like iPhone Explorer.

Blip Interactive

@JoshuaLee - You can mute tracks from the track info panel in the sequencer (http://blipinteractive2.co.uk/downloads/NanoStudioManual%201.2.pdf page 33) but I agree it's not as immediate as the old system.

autorhythm

@Matt: as mentioned yesterday some of my patches sound different in V1.2.
I think the reason for this is the chorus.

To test this you can choose one patch and select the chorus effect (60% delay, 50% depth, 50% feedback and 5-10% rate). After you've saved the patch please change one parameter (e.g. the filter type (lp, bp, hp)) and change it back to it's original value. Then go to the first page and push the compare button while playing notes on the piano roll. Everytime you'll push the compare button the sound/chorus changes a bit.

Do you have any solution?

//autorhythm

Blip Interactive

I can't seem to get this, but from your description it sounds like it's applying a V1.13->1.2 parameter conversion each time you swap. If you look at the chorus effect, have the knob positions changed? Can you tell me which preset you're using (if it's not a custom one) and which bank it's in? (ie. global or project). One thing you could try is writing all your presets, saving the project and then reloading it. This will ensure that the project's upgraded to V1.2 - it may then stop happening.

Godson

Just want to confirm that I wont lose my songs and projects when I update...

Blip Interactive

No, but you should always do an iTunes backup if you've got precious files because the installation of any app does seem to go wrong now and then.

Even better, also export all your projects as .nsp files and NanoSync them over to your computer - it's the only surefire way of having your projects in a portable backed up state.

Trouble is, backing up always feels a bit like having to do homework.

Godson

"Trouble is, backing up always feels a bit like having to do homework".

Yup.... thats a true analogy.....

Blip Interactive

.. or like gambling, depending on how often you do it!

biff_bifferson

blimey, the difference in appearance is astounding - im astounded!. i thought it looked decent before but this is superb. umming and aahing over the £3 for the extra tracks though but then i am a proper mingebag

drelbs

Excellent update, snagged the IAP as fast as I could type my iTunes password...

Loving everything so far, but one thing I liked better before were the orange scroll bars - the black ones blend in against the background so much that I have to look for them sometimes... This is especially important now that I'm doing more up/down scrolling through instruments in song mode.

The way they are now I swear the grey background looks more like a scroll bar than the black bars themselves...

And I'd still like to see some sort of wired transfer option - here at work I can't transfer files using NanoSync or Soundcloud...

u-turn

Loving the update. Any chance you could add the save button to the global screen to the right of Manage or squeeze it into the transport bar? I am a compulsive saver and each time I nail a part I have to click = / MANAGE / SAVE / = / INSTRUMENT just to get back to playing. It's a minor gripe to be sure but one I encounter constantly while composing.

But I am one happy camper!

pagroove

Today I used Nanostudio 1.2. and gave it a thorough test. The more I use it the better it gets. Well done Matt!! Compressor and the EQ are really GREAT updates!

I mean. not so long ago you had to pay a big amount for this to have all this in hardware.
It's really a studio in your pocket now :)

syrupcore

@drelbs two finger scroll is where it's at. Seems a little more finicky now that there are mire tracks but if you out two fingers in the screen you can just zoom around. Finger positions seen to be vertical to go up down, horizontal to go left right. Pinch to zoom in and out.

Godson

Updated with no loss of files.... this update has changed the game again.... NS for the win.

NanoSuSuSudio

"The only negative for me on 1.2 is that it doesn't look quite as good as the old version"

Ahhh... you must be a non-Retina Display user, right? ;-)

(Of course I realize that you referring to the new layout rather than the higher resolution.. but still I would say that while the changes in the layout may take some time to get used to, they're worth it...)

But I have one question, Matt...
Are you by any chance using a smaller font on the things like the NanoSync page and the help page? I can't tell if it only looks smaller because the text is crisp now and there's no anti-aliasing "pixel-fuzz" to make the text seem bigger than it actually is...

fourfourfun

Can you re-organise what order the channels are in? I'm using a + instance of TRG per percussion type sound and I noticed you can have 4 per TRG. I now have two open and need to move the newer one up underneath my first one.

LOVE the new muting personally, its much more Ableton-y imo.

The only thing I could think of wanting more at this moment in time is the ability to import Eden patches. I reckon this community could create some great patches. I was bemoaning not being able to have some IDM / Border Community synths and I accidentally made those very sounds last night. All distortion and detuned, wide shoegazy sounds. Be wonderful if there were some dedicated creators of such things as I am a complete novice at creating sounds from scratch. I don't fully understand the consequences of my tweakings.

Hell, you could even commission professional electronic artists to craft some sounds and sell on as IAP!

Oh I like the EQ, but I don't feel like I can properly kill the frequencies. Be lovely if you could put the FX racks in place but then click on them to expand to a full screen edit view, you could then accomodate something like Able's EQ8 and start doing some graphical EQ action.

ReverendP

Regarding the EQ, Multitrack DAW does a terrific job with graphic representation of their 3 band parametric EQ. It's functionality is fantastic the way the GUI is set up. Tap on an element then slide finger to adjust. A window draws the changes and displays a numerical value. Quite helpful for fine tuning EQ and compression.

Matt I highly recommend taking a look at the graphics portion of Multitrack's FX and consider implementing or mimicking those functions.

Thanks.