NanoStudio V1.2 is now available

108 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

Apple approved NanoStudio V1.2 this morning and it's now available in the app store!

The manual, OS X and Windows versions are now out of beta and you can get the new V1.2 versions from the download page.

Here's what's changed since V1.13:

* In-app purchase to upgrade from 6 to 16 instrument tracks
* Configurable instruments on each track (TRG or Eden), mixer has its own track
* Configurable mixer with volume/pan automation and up to 4 insert effects per bus (input, send or output)
* New effects include compressor, 3 band parametric EQ and Lo-Fi (bitcrush/decimate) setting added to waveshaper
* Offline processing of samples through an effects chain using the sample editor (with undo)
* Up to 4 sequencer tracks per instrument (up to 64 sequencer tracks in total)
* Retina display support for iPod/iPhone 4
* Supports launching and purchasing other audio copy/paste apps via the Sonoma compatible apps list
* TRG pad copy/paste function for duplicating pad settings and samples
* Sequencer track mute/solo, quantize down to 1/64, quantize event length and end as well as start, view grid without snapping
* Better mixer VU meters and accurate clip detection algorithm for final output stage
* Better 'picker' for choosing controller events in the pattern editor, note events can now be seen when editing controllers
* Eden loads samples ahead of time, so preset changes are ready when they're needed
* Added triplet settings to Eden LFO (this will affect some existing projects and presets)
* Increased instrument polyphony
* New Akai SynthStation25 button operation
* Tempo/time sig available from main menu
* New 'click only during record' setting
* Loads of small improvements and bugfixes

NanoSuSuSudio

Excellent! I had noticed about an hour ago that there was an available update on my iPhone... but when I checked the details, it was only Pocket WavePad... so now I'm quite happy to see this second notification badge in iTunes! :D

Brio

Update was perfect, I restarted my 32GB Touch 4 and it ran effortlessly. In App purchase was simple. Off to play now...

Peter321

Just updated and purchased the extra tracks, not that I need them right now, but the quality you deliver HAS to be supported.

I urge everyone to buy the expansion, even if they don't need it - $5 for an update like this is NOTHING, even without the extra tracks, and Blip is supplying it for free to all users.

WAY TO GO BLIP!

Now just give me that iPad version for my new iPad 2 ;-)

Peter321

Ohh, and the graphics look AMAZING on my iPhone 4

Distraub

Got it, installed on my iphone 4, looks great, and on my iPad 2, unfortunately it doesn't take the retina graphics, but can't wait to use it, purchased my in-app purchase, way to go Matt!

vegar

Yes! Thank you Mad Blip, and congratulations!
Today is the Norwegian National Day, but for me, 1.2 is the reason to cheer!

Did I mention Woooohoooo!

NanoSuSuSudio

Peter321, I concur completely. I'm upgrading if only to thank Matt for the awesome update... and as an added bonus, I'll have some extra tracks to mess around if I ever start composing outside of my minimalist style... ;-)
(Actually the first thing I'll probably do is torture-test my poor iPhone to see exactly how much is "too much"!)

Blip Interactive

Yes sadly the iPad's still a blurfest unless you've got a jailbroken one and can run Retinapad.

Rossf

Well done Matt-just further proff nano studio is the king of iOS apps-I thought the in app purchase was very reasonably priced so thank you again and good luck

shimmy

Awesome news, thanks !!!

Sodzlaw

Retina display looks awesome well done matt your the king of all updates

jlbane

Yup, fantastic work on the latest update. Love this app and have also purchased the extra tracks.

Thanks for an even better Nanostudio.

jbonnell4394

Ahhhhhh, Thanks matt BM2 can now be deleted not that I ever used it anyway LOL also Thanks for the new font color in the eden patchbay, Upgraded with IAP with no trouble at all... Now to dig in !! Congrats... -John-

lagares

got the app and tracks !!

I had a little bug, when I tried to start the app after installing the update it crashed like 4 times. I has the ipad 2 connected to my tv, then I disconnected the dv cable and it worked fine.... just so you know

great update.. can't wait to make some tracks !!

syrupcore

Congratulations and thank you Matt! An epic piece of work.

khzano

Big UPdate!

done the update and got the extra tracks ($).
all is sweet and as stated in a previous post, I'm in love.
still, upon opening my most recent track on it, and while hearing the first notes, i could tell that either the delays on Eden have somewhat changed compared to the way the played in the track before the update (now i have to fix this patch to fit back in -- patchname b26. Octave arp, listen to it before and after) or the new grid quantize resolutions messed up my notes, which i doubt.
also other envelopes seem slightly faster than they were.

if you wish i can back it up and send it over for you to examine yourself (even though i haven't finished it yet).

dcsapporo

This is absolutely the best update! As I waited I found that FairLight is now an iPhone app. The full blown version is 5000 some Yen. When compared to your work Matt, any one would be foolish to give in to sentimentality over powerful elegant functionality, as well as world class sound quality that you have provide for such a reasonable price.
BTW will it be possible to purchase other synths in the future, not that the eden isn't versatile?

Thanks again

dendy

btw, for all of us : don't forget to rate 5* in appstore for actual NS release :-)

kitejan

@khzano: I noticed Octave Arp wasnt at all the same when I tried putting a couple of pieces in the PC beta. I could work out what the difference was exactly - everything looked the same (thinking LFO & xDelay). I know Matt has said some patches would have differences because of the update - I just but this one on the back burner until I had some time to check it out.

Not really a problem - and I'm sure it's fixable by understanding the patch modulation options.

LoveAurell

Kitejan: It's probably because of the new triplet settings added.

kitejan

Thought so - but what I didnt understand if I'm not actually using the triplet settings in the patch, and everything is set the same as before then what's the difference? I'm missing something here :-)

Jan

Blip Interactive

Yes indeed, Eden's LFO knob now has some extra positions for triplets. When a pre-V1.2 project is loaded, NanoStudio will automatically set the LFO rate knob to the correct position, but it can't easily handle situations where the LFO rate is modulated via the patchbay.

I fixed the patchbay values in the default presets, but only people who install a fresh version will see this - for existing users, upgrades always leave your presets alone (aside from converting the LFO rate knob position mentioned above).

It probably only took 10 minutes to fix the default presets. I'd suggest finding the beat sync'd LFO's and just fiddling with the rate. If that fails, look in the patchbay to see what's controlling that LFO's rate and play with the amount.

It's a bit of a pain but hopefully it's long term gain.

rondema

I don't understand why the Mute and Solo buttons don't respond to multiple-touch or indeed swipe when expanded in song view. I can no longer mute/unmute multiple channels at the same instant anywhere in NanoStudio. Please fix this Matt. I almost cried, because everything else about 1.2 is fantastic.

Or am I missing something perhaps?

formal

Got it on my iPod touch2g and ipad1 along with the in app purchase! Works great on both units :) The iPad with the retinapad app makes the update so smooth and crisp looking. I am absolutely in love. All those "jaggies" are a thing of the past. I'm gonna have a real go with it later today. One thing I noticed is that USB audio interfaces still record in mono. Multitrack DAW by harmonic dog is the only app I know that allows stereo recording from USB devices. You might want to get in touch with him to see how he got it working. If I could record in stereo I'd never need to use another app ;)

Overall AWESOME update!

sturob

+1 Rondema. This was also my first impression of 1.2. You can no longer mute in the song view, or from the main menu dropdown.

I'm not at the crying stage yet, but this definitely worries me a bit. I've been using Nanostudio since it came out in live performance situations, for which quick instrument (un)mute is essential.

All the other stuff looks great (esp. triplet lfo) + congrats Matt on how much you've done for this release. But double tap to mute/unmute, please?

sturob

On further reflection, double-tap would not be ideal.

To quote shannong from http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/70#comment-735

"If you swipe your finger down the left side of the Song Editor screen, or across the "Track Mute" row of the Main Menu, etc., you can quickly turn off all tracks and then tap ON the one you want to effectively solo. Vice-versa to mute a track while all are playing."

Am I missing something similar in 1.2?

u-turn

Epic Massive update. I'm all in!

sturob

Apologies for replying to myself. I just spotted the 'EXPAND TRACK INFO' button and am a bit calmer now.

Double tap on the main menu would still be useful tho I reckon.

Thanks for making the only piece of software I care this much about!

Blip Interactive

Some buttons have been harmed in the making of V1.2. For me, was one of the bits I was never happy about. I've considered adding three more buttons to the main menu - one button would give the instruments 1-16 as you see now, the next button would give instruments 1-8 and their corresponding mutes (a bit like V1.13) and the third button would give instruments 9-16 and their mutes. There are some problems with this though : 1 - you can't get to the mixer easily from one of the views and 2 (more important) there's no longer a simple 1:1 track:instrument relationship.

cyberheater

Fantastic update. It's now super awesome. Have upgraded already. Looking forward to seeing my iPad being brought to it's knees. :)