I can connect, but can't move any files.

18 replies [Last post]
yggdrasil

I've installed the app on both my iPad and iPhone and am quite happy with it. I'd like to be able to sync my songs between the two, so I installed Nanosync on my Windows 7/64-bit system. The program installed fine, opens, and can connect to both devices. However, I cannot select any files to upload or download. The option is grayed out, and I can't actually click on any files. If I double click on anything, it changes the directory within the program, even if it is the project file itself. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

shannong

are you running NanoSync "as Adminstrator"? Ever since Vista this is a common culprit for problems where you cannot see or select files. Try right-clicking the shortcut that starts NanoSync and choosing "Run as Administrator" (or something like that)

Blip Interactive

Definitely try shannong's idea, since it's quick and easy and might solve your problem.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on one of my test machines and it's OK, so it shouldn't be a problem with your specific OS at least.

NanoSync represents projects as folders (with a .prj extension) so you can see the files inside them. Some files and folders are read only, so buttons will be greyed out when you select certain files or folders. Also, it's not currently possible to transfer a folder in NanoSync - instead, you must create the folder on your phone, and then transfer the sample files into it.

I'd be grateful if you could try a specific case. In NanoSync, navigate to /Projects/Demos/Rock On.prj and select BD.wav. All four buttons at the bottom (Create folder, delete, send, get) should be available. Are any of them available for you?

Finally NanoSync 1.0 did have a problem with dropping files on NanoSync in Windows 7. NanoSync 1.01 fixes this problem.

Let me know how you get on and I'll do my best to assist.

Blip Interactive

If you want to transfer whole projects between two iDevices, hold SHIFT + CTRL when you click on NanoSync's big 'Connect' button. This will allow you to view all the files on the device rather than just the sample files.

Project files are compatible between iDevice, PC and Mac version of NanoStudio.

When transferring a project, bear in mind that it might sound different on the destination device if the project's using global samples/presets. A proper project import/export function will be coming in the first update.

yggdrasil

Thanks for your help, guys. It was enabling the "run as administrator" option that made the difference.

Blip Interactive

Excellent stuff - and good tip shannong, I would have been ages figuring that one out.

.. it's odd though, because it works fine with a non-admin account on my machine.

neut

When I click on send to device, I get a file open window, how do I transfer the files to my iphone from my ipod on a mac? I've clicked on the connect button, but I just can't see where or how to transfer the files.
More info needed please.

Thanks

neut

Blip Interactive

Currently there's no direct iDevice -> iDevice transfer.

Instead you should transfer the files from the source device to your mac, and then transfer from your mac to your destination device.

Note that you can't currently copy a folder, just the files within it, so you may have to make a folder on your destination device first with the same name.

This will all be a lot simpler in the next update.

SUNNY CROCKETT

I tried the "run as administrator" and the "create folder" button is still grey (wont let me press it)? The "delete", "send to device" and "get from device" all work but the "create folder" DOES NOT.?? Can someone please help me with this issue?

Blip Interactive

NanoSync doesn't let you create folders in certain locations because some of them are read only.

Try creating a new folder under /Samples, or /Projects/ - that should probably work for you I reckon.

Madman

HELP!!!!
Can't transfer files from windows xp laptop to nanosync.
Keep getting a 'restart you computer if this is the first time downloading nanosync' message. What am I doing wrong?

Blip Interactive

I gather you have restarted your computer? NanoSync needs to install a shell extension to handle its drag and drop, and Windows won't run the shell extension until you restart (it's annoying I know).

Have you tried running it as administrator?

When you get time, try this:

Uninstall NanoSync
Reboot
Install NanoSync (make sure it's V1.11)
Reboot

This should make sure that everything's definitely installed and running as it should be. Let me know how you get on.

Madman

Tried the two reboots......nothing. I also noticed that in my control panel it says I'm running the latest software. But when I left click the 'about' on the actual open program...it shows version 1.0. *scratching my head*.

Blip Interactive

Hmm that's my mistake - forgot to increase the version number in the about box!

I'm really not sure about this one - no one else has reported this. You can use the 'Get from Device' button instead, which is a bit tedious because you have to choose a location folder each time, but does get the job done.

Madman

I tried the get from device button as soon as it was available to press...and it shuts off and the program disappears. Maybe it's me. Really would like to figure this out.

Madman

Nvrmind. Got it. It's gonna be hard for beatmaker2 to top this shit. LETS GO NANOOOO!!!

rocknrao

How do I send files from a macbook to an ipad using nanosync?

It seems to be set up to work the opposite way.

l.b

On Macbook, launch Nanosync (the separate app).
On iPad launch NanoStudio and go to the Nanosync tab (Enable).
On Macbook, in Nanosync connect to your iPad (you may have to use the IP address) and copy the files over.

Blip Interactive

As l.b. said, although to clarify 'copy the files over':

1. In NanoSync, navigate to the folder (on the device) you'd like to copy your files to
2. Find the files you want to copy in Finder (on your Mac) and just drag them into NanoSync's window