NanoStudio V1.2 beta1 for OSX/Windows now available

85 replies [Last post]
Sodzlaw

Talking of curves it would be really nice if we could draw free hand as well as a straight line to create some crazy waves. I know it's to late for changes now but maybe in a later update that would be cool.

dendy

stiksi: yes, four tracks per device completely blowed my away.. incredible great

MoltenBlob

Blip stellar update!!! eek:^>

1 bug (maybe)
1 question.

Bug: In the song editor
click draw
create a blank part
Click edit
In note editor create some random notes
switch to the velocity edit - Only 1 velocity shows up where the last note is.
If you switch back to the note editor and select some notes then when you switch back to velocity only the selected notes will show up.

Question: In the song editor when creating mixer automation - I love that you have 4 tracks of overlapping automation- Yowsa - anyway... Why is the note and velocity automation in there?

Mb

Stiksi

@ MoltenBlob: The bug sounds like the way the automation editor has worked in previous versions too – if you enter it with an active selection, it only shows values for the selected notes. I think it's only useful on rare occasions and most of the time it's an annoyance, because you have to remember to deselect everything before entering the automation editor. I would prefer it to always show everything but have a default selection of the selected notes' automation values. Zooming in is good enough to do separate small edits IMO. At the very least everything should be visible if not editable. Even when I know about the behaviour I still get shocked from time to time "What happened to my edits?!".

MoltenBlob

@Stiksi
Thanks for that. I see when Im drawing notes the last note is left highlighted. I need to turn off draw mode and click to deselect. Got it!
It sound very useful when you have chords and only want to edit 1 note in the chord.

it would be good if the velocity button would blink or something to show that you have a limited selection set?
Never mind. I see the colour of the bars is different.

mb

Blip Interactive

It's really there for situations like chords where it's impossible to separate one velocity from another without knowing the note because they overlap perfectly.

The mixer track ir capable of showing note and velocity information like any other track, it seemed to make more sense than making it some special case.

MoltenBlob

Thanks
Mb

Stiksi

Hadn't thought of that. Yeah, makes sense although I don't see why you couldn't still show all notes and automations as faded out versions. It would cut down on my "Oh shit!" moments a lot. As I might have mentioned, I don't get too much sleep nowadays, so I have zero short term memory ;)

다레스

아!!!!!!!!!!

정말 기다리고 있습니다!!!!!!

얼른 내놔요, 빨리!!!

Godson

NS Update 1.2 for the win...... When this hits the "i's" its on....

chaad

* In-app purchase to upgrade 6 to 16 instrument tracks (always unlocked on Windows/OS X) ???
Where you unlocked in the application ?

Blip Interactive

The iPhone version has an extra Shop tab on the MANAGE page to buy and unlock the extra tracks.

On the Windows and OS X versions, all 16 instrument tracks are always available so it doesn't have the Shop tab.

dcsapporo

Matt, as everyone else has stated, this is seriously the best!!

A possible bug though;

After loading up an old song and playing around with the mixer FX chain, I noticed some audio glitchiness. There occurs digital drop-out at various points during play back. At first I thought it was the FX chain and level settings. But reloading the original only reduced the number of times it would occur. The drop-out doesn't happen at the same spot, it appears to be random. I will try to see if I can find out what might be causing it to happen. Matt have you experienced anything like this?

Blip Interactive

Is this on a PC? If so, what version of Windows? Do you think you had it with the previous version?

Only I'm using an old Windows XP PC as a test machine, and I've noticed the odd audio glitch with it a month back. The only thing is that I raided the soundcard out of it so it's using some crappy motherboard one, and I put it down to this.

Blip Interactive

I've now bashed the V1.2 manual into shape too http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/1821

dcsapporo

I'm using Windows XP on a Dell dimension 8400 with a separate sound card, though my headphones aren't plugged into that. I'll check that out though. The glitch occurs randomly but I've noticed it happens usually around the same time the song's Audio CPU % first spikes, but if I play it again it doesn't do it at that point. I'll try the soundcard and see if that fixes it.

Blip Interactive

Did you ever run v1.13 on it? I'm wondering if it's a new thing.

You could also try increasing the audio buffer size on the MANAGE/Settings page, but the latency's already a touch ropey on XP anyway (it uses DirectX rather than ASIO).

dcsapporo

Yes I did, but I didn't play back this particular song on it. I'll try re-installing v1.13 and give it a try.

twinsinmind

I can only confirm that in a studio pc with Win 7 and a motu soundcard + also tested on a laptop i did NOT experience any of this glitch issues

looper

Hi Blip
I been using 1.2 on the PC and I think I’ve come across a bug.
Here is the order of what I done.
I started a new project and went to the sequencer window,
Then I added an extra track to the mixer.
Next I went to double click on the TRG symbol to bring it up but the
Eden synth came up instead, I then went to double click on the last Eden synth
(Eden4) and nothing happened, it’s like the graphics were moved down but not there
Links, if that makes sense.
anyone else find this?

i do love this software. :)

JoE2O1O

Hi blip i've noticed the same bug as looper stated above ^

thanks again for such an amazing update :)

Blip Interactive

looper, yep there was something amiss here. Here's a list of what I've already fixed/changed and will be in the second beta version:

Bugs (fixed)

- Double clicking the instrument name in Song View (example: Eden 1), takes you to the wrong instrument. If I click Eden 1, I get Eden 4. Clicking Mixer goes to the mixer as it should.
- After clearing a song via "Song Tools -> Clear", the track list is empty (as expected). When I save this empty song and reload it, the track list contains devices again.
- Press the headline (MUTE SOLO REC DEL ADD) the song position jumps directly to the start of the song
- When you expand the track info, the left (time) drag handle no longer works

Functional changes

- Side scroll on mixer -- jump to next 'screen' rather than just 1 fader over per click
- Mixer: FX-chain - as long as there are only one of each type of effect device, couldn't the FX chain read the current effect, not the device name? As in, "Reverb" or "Bitcrush" instead of "E-Space" and "5th Planet".
- Play icons could be clearer in sample editor
- File rename button added
- EQ: Increase frequency adjustment range of bands
- When i´m recording a new part in the locater area and stop the recording, the part is merged with the existing part before in the timeline.

.. still thinking about the mixer solo. I agree it's very handy, but anything I've come up with so far feels a bit ugly.

Stiksi

@ looper It's definitely not working right. I don't know what's going on with double clicking the device icons in the sequencer, because sometimes it works (maybe 10%) but most times it doesn't.

edit: wow, my comment became obsolete as I was writing it.

looper

hey Blip

for solo/ mute buttons can you have up and down arrow keys on the side which keep the faders but flip the pan and FX to solo and mute?

Stiksi

Sounds like there's something a bit wonky going on with the TRG release attribute.

First: Set a TRG pad to Hold mode and open up the release knob.

When I play from the keyboard and use fairly low key velocities, the release part of the sound sounds at full velocity, which gives it a kind of second hit-like effect. When the notes are recorded and played back, the release behaves as it should.

And my suggestion for the Mute/Solo button would of course be: Eden-like scrolling to the effects screen and use the FX-button as Mute/Solo (like Looper said, I think). Pleeease? I really love the navigation on the Eden now that I've gotten used to it and it would work great on the Mixer too.

You could keep the side to side to side channel navigation as it is and just add arrows to the right or left bottom.

LoveAurell

What about the TRG fader colors, Matt? Why are they gone?

looper

yeah Stiksi

thats what i meant that keeps it nice and simple.

theres a few other tweaks i would quite like.

double tapping on the song position(timer..thing) to change it from bars and beats to minutes and seconds.
and
in the sequencer on the right hand side above and below the vertical drag handler 2 buttons to
Transpose parts up or down 1 octave........Basically transpose buttons. lol

Blip Interactive

> Eden-like scrolling to the effects screen

I don't understand how this could work. You need to select which channel you want to edit the effects for, it's not just a single vertical list.

JoE2O1O

If eden like scrolling was implemented, how would you chose which track's effects were being controlled?

I vote for double tap on track name changes pan dial to mute and solo buttons.

Joe.

Stiksi

Look, so pretty!

EDIT: @ Joe2010: Tap track name to select, or anywhere. Touch any control to select track. And make the track change colour. You know, how it is in Live. I see this working.