V1.2 update - not too long to wait now

160 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

Numerous people have been asking about when the V1.2 update will be ready, and quite rightly so! I wasn't giving a date because I wasn't really sure myself. The good news is that I will get the last major function done today (processing samples offline using the effects) and then I'm left with some tidying up and a whole lot of testing and manual work - a lot has changed!

Once the basic tests are out of the way I'll be releasing a V1.2 beta for Windows and OSX, which I expect will be late next week (about 5th May). This allows anyone to try out the new version and help find problems or give any feedback before the iOS version is submitted. If any programmers or other anal types are keen enough to get involved in some more detailed beta testing (a few have mentioned it in the past) then let me know and I can dish out some more detailed checklists to run through.

If that goes OK then hopefully I can release it to Apple for testing around the 12th of May.

Here's a list of what's made it in (I've probably forgotten a few things):

In-app purchase to upgrade 6 to 16 instrument tracks
Configurable instruments on each track (TRG or Eden), mixer has its own track
Up to 4 sequencer tracks per instrument (up to 64 sequencer tracks in total)
Retina display support for iPod/iPhone 4
Supports launching and purchasing other audio copy/paste apps via the Sonoma compatible apps list
Sequencer track mute/solo, quantize down to 1/64, quantize event length and end as well as start, view grid without snapping
Configurable mixer with volume/pan automation and up to 3 insert effects per bus (input, send or output)
New effects include compressor, 3 band parametric EQ and Lo-Fi (bitcrush/decimate) setting added to Waveshaper
Offline processing of samples through an effects chain using the sample editor (with undo)
Better mixer VU meters and accurate clip detection algorithm for final output stage
Better 'picker' for choosing controller events in the pattern editor, note events can now be seen when editing controllers
Eden loads samples ahead of time, so preset changes are ready when they're needed
Increased instrument polyphony
Tempo/time sig available from main menu
New 'click only during record' setting
Tidied up UI

Bugfixes (more to come):

Autobeat missing during first count in
Autobeat recording notes incorrectly if received via MIDI input
MIDI file import/export improvements, time signature now correct
Sequencer relocates to next earlier whole bar when recording starts
Fixed crash when pasting sample files exported from BM2

Things that didn't make it in but not for want of trying:

Mixer - Mute/solo buttons (not enough time but also not enough room)
Sample loop points
Sample editor - Time stretch/pitch shift/autotune
Email support for MID and NSP files

... and some screenshots, probably not quite final

Thomas A.

Wow. Sure that you mean 1.2 and not 2.1? ;-) Thank you for "New 'click only during record' setting".

manishikuma

respect!!!!

uncentered

Oh wow, awesome.

Might be time to get an iPad soon. . .

cyberheater

I've just creamed my undies. Top stuff Blip. Looking forward to it.

jbonnell4394

Looks great, Can't wait.. :-) Question How will all these updates effect the use of the SynthStation 25 Keyboard ?

dendy

i get almost orgasm when i saw screenshots ... that is HUGE! ...Thomas A. have right, this is 2.1, not 1.2 :-)

blip: if you have some list of test cases, i'm available for deep testing .. i'm working as developer and sometimes also as tester (when our QA division have too much work :-)) so, i can help with testing...

Blip Interactive

I've had to change the way the Synthstation 25 works quite a bit for this. Now, the synth 1/2 buttons change the MIDI transmit channel (down/up). If you use them in conjunction with the drums button then it jumps to the highest or the lowest channel. Finally, the synth 3 button changes the UI to show the instrument you're currently controlling. Seemed the best I could do with the buttons available.

Dra5t3k

Wow absolutely amazing you've just made incredible additions. I'd still like to see a pitch adjuster (raise/lower cents), but congratulations, awesome work!

jbonnell4394

@Blip.. Yeah I figured it would be a little bit of work... Cool.. I will browes the manual when it's ready.. Thanks -John-

Sodzlaw

So it will be on my iOS in a few weeks then lol I've heard that somewhere before ;) jokes a side this looks sick I can't wait start messing wid sum dirty basslines it will also be interesting what my previous baselines are gona sound like. Any ideas how much the Extra tracks are gona cost not that it matters to much I'll no doubt purchase them anyway. Keep up the good work blip nanostudio is the dogs danglely bits and ot just keeps getting better.
Peace :)

lagares

yeah !!!

the best app for music making for iOS... period.

Actually today I was making a track on the iPad running nanostudio, and wishing ... If I can have at least two more synths... wuhu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ready for testing ( software developer too )
I have Ipod, Ipad, Mac and Win 7 machines...

let me know.. I would love to

mclagett

Quick offtopic question. But this was your most recent post, so I thought it would be a good place to turn. I'm interested in getting old of the AkaiConnect SDK. Any ideas on where I can go? Can't seem to track it down yet on the web.

Goofparade

Bravo Blip! Incredible work.

Blip Interactive

I'm not sure about the old AkaiConnect SDK. I can't send anything to you myself because I signed a license agreement.

I gather you know about this contact page for developers? http://synthstationapp.com/sdk.php

lagares

quick question... any plans for iPad? it runs fine in double pixel mode, but I guess it would look gorgeous on native resolution...

thanks

Distraub

Fantastic update, I can't wait to dig in and put those screens to work for me.
I need more pads in my TRG, for the current song I am working on, time to do some creative re-sampling, and I can't wait for the new automation, Cheers Blip!

-distraub

kitejan

To echo: wow!

The only niggle in my mind is will Nanostudio still work on the low end iPod touch (like the 2G 8Gb) with slightly older versions of iOS (say 4.0.2 for example)? I can understand if it doesn't - given the extra processing power and memory of the current generation, but would be lovely if it did :-).

Another question regarding upgrading (since I'm new to the whole Apple and App store way of working): can you remain on an older version of an app, or (at some point) are you forced to upgrade? And can you decide to downgrade to an earlier version if the new version doesnt work out? Not just from a Nanostudio perspective - but generally in AppleLand.

Thanks

Jan

Blip Interactive

Yep it'll still work on a 2G running iOS 3.1.2 and onwards. I'm not sure how many instruments you'll be able to get above the current 5, maybe 8-10 depending on polyphony. Effects tend to use around 1-2% CPU each on this device, although the reverb's more like 5-8%.

If you're trying to work it out, bear in mind that you can't push the audio CPU bar above 70-75% without stuttering because the CPU's needed for other things than just the audio!

kitejan

Excellent news - thanks! These iPod's/iPhones are rather amazing in terms of power. I still cant believe that something so small can be producing so much! In part, no doubt, to some excellent programming.

Jan

bluecliffs

This looks so amazing! Great effort, Matt.

Was playing with Nanostudio last night on the train ride home and one of the understated features that you've pulled off that no one seems to mention is the feel and response of the keys. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I have dozens of keyboard iOS apps and none of them respond nearly as well as Nanostudio does (including garageband). Keep up the great work - all the small details are noticed!

Honeycroft

Fantastic news blip. U have been a busy bee. This will make nanostudio even better. My iPad will be busy lol

Stiksi

I love what you did with the main menu, wonderful solution to a complex problem.

LoveAurell

Can't wait, looks amazing!

Godson

Awesome additions to an already dope app... hard to explain my appreciation.... NS for the win....

marrickville

Winning!

osadie

Very impressive Matt, really looking forward to making some music on it.

Massive crowdpleaser with merit, your fans bayed and you delivered!

twinsinmind

I am up to test it for sure.. also in a studioenvirment..

how can we be part of testing?

formal

Things are looking great!!! So excited for the new version. Glad to see retina display support. It will look much nicer on the ipad with retinapd :)

Kinda bummed about the loop point editing and other sample editing features. I hope you still plan to add those in a future update. Just keep the in-app purchase of more tracks under $6.99 and I will be a happy camper!

LoveAurell

Formal: I don't think the iPad uses the retina graphics, for some reason, so it will probably look the same after the update.

Cherubin Fantie

YeeeeeHAAAAAAH! I can not wait! You are a great man Matt!