Please suggest/list your "essential" sample sources

18 replies [Last post]
shannong

Honestly I haven t been much of a sample-based guy because when Acid was first introduced by Sonic Foundry back in the 90s, I went a bit crazy buying Acid Loop library CDs and got burnt out on A) all the possibilities—too many—and B) all the inventory management of too many samples.

Since then I've relied more on workstation programs/combis and synth engines to get sounds I like. But considering the power of samples to expand the sonic pallet of both Eden Synths and the TRG-16, I find myself looking for good samples again.

Problem is, I don't want to throw money at LoopMasters because they're IMO overpriced and every disc invariably has only a handful of samples that are useful in production, with the rest of any given disc having a bunch of nice-sounding loops that aren't really reusable in different production contexts. Plus their overall library of titles is way too large, poorly-described, and the short sample mixes they give you don't tell me what some $30 to $50 disc is really going to give me.

I've got a lot of production-worthy sounds I can get out of Ableton Suite, but it's a pain to render samples out of Ableton. The iPad-only app "Electrify" actually has a nice built-in library of nearly 600 samples geared towards techno that are easy to get out as one shots or combine in a bazillion ways and export the combinations, but I'm interested in more choices for drum/perc sounds, guitar sounds, and more hard-edged, moody industrial and down-tempo sounds.

So what are your favorite, must-have sources for useful, reusable production samples? I don't mind paying for collections if they're good value with lots of usable variety on the same disc. I haven't had much luck searching for free libraries on the web, so any tips here would be appreciated too!

scubapig

You know, the thing about sample libraries is that they tend to be same-y (as you've probably experienced), so you end up with a big collection with loads of repetition and the (re) usable stuff tends to be 'generic' drum machine and synth sounds. If it does sound original and cool, that's a problem in itself, in my opinion. Who's making the music? You. If you use someone else's cool-sounding sample, you've set the whole tone of the track there and then from another guy's idea. You said it yourself...The loops you get aren't re-usable because they only work on a certain track and have the "vibe" set already, that you didn't create.

I suppose that's OK if you're only making, say, TV ad or library-type music, but otherwise it's going against the whole idea of being a musician. Sample CD's kill creativity.

I say - make your own! Get those standard samples that you have already and put them through loads of effects, or chop them up and re-order. Make little riffs of your own and re-sample them until they sound totally different. Do you see what I'm getting at? You've then made something unique and original and your own and that's what music needs!

You're better off using VSTs (loads of free ones available) to create from scratch, then sampling "yourself", so to speak. You will learn so much more than just taking "dark piano riff No. 546" from a sample CD or sample site.

Also, I've been using Nanostudio to make samples - mess about then re-sample. Got loads of cool stuff from doing that.

I really believe in this - there's too much generic music out there! I used to buy sample CD's and then decided it was pointless and expensive.

Hope I'm not being too preachy...:-) All the best with making music.

riff

Scubapig, I like what your saying here. preach on!

could you provide more info about manipulating VSTs? perhaps some good tutorials?

scubapig

Hey Riff. What kind of stuff are you trying to make? Have you already got some VSTs and other programs? Useful info to get started. There's so many out there!

shannong

FWIW, I agree with you totally, Scubapig. The only reason I started thinking in terms of "samples" again was to import more sounds into NanoStudio. I'll just do what I've always done, which is create sounds I like in my Korg M3 and in my various Ableton Live instruments, with the added step of rendering short loop-worthy snippets out to WAV for import into NanoStudio when I "just gotta have" a certain sound/feeling available to me in NanoStudio.

On the plus side, while i dug around for real production-worthy, reusable material, I did come across the most truly excellent Konkrete 2 and Konkrete 2 by Sonic Couture. These drum libraries are so full of juicy and reusable electronica/IDM drum kit sounds that I simply must have them. Fortunately they come in Live format with drum racks already assembled, etc. The bastages are making me finally shell out for an upgrade from Live 7 to Live 8.

Check out the audio demos for these libraries. They're really exciting!

http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/g10-konkrete-1/
http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/g11-konkrete-2/

scubapig

They are nice shannong, for sure. Still reckon it's better to try and make your own, although I know it's fun playing with stuff like those because the quality is top-notch. Those kind of really well put together sample packs are the only things that tempt me...No! Must make own samples!

spyce-d

Just thought id put my 2pence worth in :) i toatally agree with all the comments about making your own sounds etc i do this myself , i love a sampler though and i use alot of one shots to make drum kits for groove agent in cubase, if you want some good drum samples i cant recomend Goldbaby collections enough ive been using his mpc60 samples in the trg and it sounds sweet ,altough i had to convert them down from 24 to 16 bit(cant wait for the update that lets me use 24bit files) it wasnt to hard with a freeware program called audiomove for the pc.

LamptonWorm

I think it is okay to have best of both worlds. I come from a purely sample-your-own background as I grew up with MasterSound on Amiga and there were no sample packs, I used to stay in sampling and finding beats and loops from the parents record collection and playing them back in OctaMED. These days you can get totally awesome packs with all nicely EQ'd and cut stuff, which I think is fine, but always pick out hits and notes, rarely use the key loops that come with the packs. So yeah, a bit of both, but that lends to my kind of tunes to be honest, a bit of DnB without dropping the odd Amen..unlikely ;) ..but it is like the patches on Nano, like saying 'make all your own', ..better to have a mix, use some presets, some custom patch, but for your own know how and style understand how to sample your own kicks and create your own patches absolutely. For me, anyway, best of both :) Peace.

djpuzzle

Hey fellas, we just added 2 free Electro House kits all formatted for TRG-16 and ready to go.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/iPadLoopscom/246604772025757?sk=app_17621...

Have fun!

djafull

@djpuzzle

wow, tnx
feel free to add more..... ;)

alphacat

I love this site: http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php ...more drum machine 1-shots than you can shake a stick at! (Be sure and donate if you like it.)

syrupcore

I donated to that site. An absurdly great collection. Come to think of it, downloading all of those kits was the reason I started the trg maker project.

alphacat

I can see how that site would inspire the TRG maker for sure! Interestingly enough, it seems that there are kits that used to be there that aren't any longer - at least, in my collection I notice that I have some weird kits that aren't on that site now.

Another great sample resource is the Music Radar free sample series; they're up to 97 installments in this series alone, but I believe they have other free samplepack downloads elsewhere on the site as well. All kinds of styles & instrumentation are covered in these, from ska to techno to dubstep to rock to disco and beyond.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/free-music-samples-download-loops-hi...

syrupcore

If you donate, you get a link to download a zip with all of kits on the site plus some extra ones. Maybe the extra ones are the ones that you're not seeing?

revo11

I've thought about that exact dilemma scubapig. I find that the best sample libraries are high quality, well-recorded, but 'generic' ... you can always process a generic sound to have your own spin on it, but too much character in the original sample and it's useless...

Zupi

Probably you have them all scatered around your sample library of disks, possibly there are more of the same compilations like this but suppose this wont hurt anyone or newcomers to sample searching will find it usefull.
At the moment they are hosted on fileserve and at the time of download they were pretty fast at about less of half an hour to get both parts.

Original blog post:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/11/04/the-machine-1-gb-of-free-drum...
Leads to this forum post:
http://warbeats.com/Community/Forums/aft/57
Links are at the end of description and working at the time of this post.

alphacat

@ Syrupcore - it could be. I think I downloaded many of the older kits before he started asking for donations, and I know that he's also since replaced many of the older sets with newer, better sets when they came his way.

One other sample source that just occurred to me is the ol' Google search terms trick; say you're looking for a sample of a howitzer cannon - just go to Google and enter:

intitle:”index.of” (wav) howitzer

Boom! (No pun intended ;) ...lots and lots of howitzer samples. One important caveat though - it's not easy to tell what the copyright status is on almost anything you turn up using this method, so use some common sense.

Slam-Cut

This might be a little too obvious, but I wouldn't over look the Sticky: Community NSP Files. There are some great sounds in there already made into nice little presets for Eden. That's pretty handy.

Jeppan74

If I need a sample or acapella I always go to http://www.looperman.com/
User generated, easy searchable and royalty-free!