How do you export to PC from iPod Touch

16 replies [Last post]
Garaculus

First, like everyone else, love the app. OK, probem I do not seem to be able to export Projects from my iPod Touch to my PC. All the references point to iPhone, so is it possible on a 3rd Gen Touch, and if so how.

I have followed the iPhone instructions but I still cannot see my projects on my PC. I have tried searching the Forum with no joy, please help.

Blip Interactive

iPod Touch should be fine as long as it's on your Wi-Fi network, it just becomes a pain writing iPhone/iPod/iPad/iDevice every time!

I gather you've got the latest version of NanoSync from the Downloads page (if you downloaded it within the last 2 months then you will have the latest version). Here are some instructions I did for someone else the other day on how to get an exported project from the iDevice to the PC, but it works for any type of file (wav, ogg etc.). Try following this and let me know which step it's falling down on:

1. On the iPhone, load up the project you want to export and then on the MANAGE/Project page click the Export button, choose a filename and click OK. This will create a .nsp file with your project and its samples all packaged up.

2. Now you need to find out where to put the file on your computer so that the Windows version of NanoStudio can see it. The easiest way to do this is to start up Windows NanoStudio on your PC and go to the MANAGE/Project page. Click the Load button and then click Explorer. This will open up an Explorer window where Windows NanoSync expects to see any project files.

3. The final stage is to get it over to your PC. Open NanoSync, connect and browse to the /Projects folder. Hopefully you should see your nsp file there (NanoSync always shows you what's on the phone). Drag the nsp file out of NanoSync and into the Explorer Window you opened on step 2.

Windows NanoStudio should now be able load that nsp file (by clicking Load on its MANAGE/Project page).

This sounds complicated but it's a lot simpler in future if you create a shortcut on your desktop to the Explorer window where Windows NanoSync keeps it files (the window you opened in step 2). It'll be something like "C:\ProgramData\NanoStudio\Documents\User\Projects" on Windows 7. You can then drag files between this folder and NanoSync without all the messing about in step 2.

Garaculus

Aha ;-) OK loaded latest version of NanoSync and I able to 'get from device' the NSP file...result! When I load a prj file it down loads all the trg files, can I just get it to load the ones associated with the project I am using?
Will you be adding any audio functionality apart from the importing of samples so that I can record longer acoustic parts to go with my electronica?

By the way, you are probably tired of hearing how good this software is but, it is just GENIUS. I use Sonar X1 as my DAW, which I love and have used since it was Cakewalk ProAudio, but find the accessibility of NanoStudio so much better for creativity and has helped me to understand how to use a synth properly. I agree with those who have commented on how good Eden is and a VST would be good, but I kind of like the idea of having to use Eden within NanoStudio and find fresh sounds using my other soft synths that I use within Sonar.
I moved from Brighton to the SouthWest and share a narrowboat. I can take my SynthStation 25, NanoStudio, a mandolin and a handfull of blues harps and record away, music on the move....really 'on the move' chugging down the Avon and Kennet canal. I am recording exclusively with NanoStudio on the boat, as it is brilliant for inspiration, and leave the hours of fannying around in Sonar for when I am at home.

Garaculus

Garaculus

How do I transfer my projects from my iPad to iPod?

Jim Hanks

Follow the above instructions to get the project from the iPad to PC then transfer from PC to iPod. I don't think there is a way to transfer directly.

Blip Interactive

No way to transfer directly I'm afraid, you have to do a trip via the computer. Something to possibly think about in future though.

Garaculus

Thanks chaps...drag and drop it will be then ;-)

modiesel

ok so im gonna be honest here, and say that i had the jailbroken version of nanostudio. im a first timer at this kinda stuff and have always dreamed of making my own music. after learning a little about the app its clearly something worth purchasing and i have done so since and also purchased the 16 track upgrade which will help me get songs deeper and not have to resample so much at least until i learn how to use this thing through and true. (obviously gonna take a while considering im not even familiar with the music making lingo and terminology). i had a nice little 16 bar song going on the jailbroken version of the app that i sent to my nanostudio on my pc. im trying to get it from my pc now to the OFFICIAL app. i cant seem to figure this out. please help.

iammane

Did you try Nanosync? I'm sure there is another way using iExplorer or something similar, but honestly Nanosync is the easiest and quickest way. Get it off the main site from the downloads section - you install it, reboot (so that you can drag/drop) and then fire it up. It will find the iPod (or iPad, phone whatever) automatically as long as they are on the same network (wifi, lan etc must be same subnet) and then you can browse the contents of the NS folders. Drag and drop from your PC, simple as that!

Everyone dabbles in warez, hell, I bought Reason TWICE based solely on the fact that I had the full version first. Though, the PC version is the same as the phone so you coulda tried it there first, but good on you for supporting Blip so he can keep working on this or the next big thing ;)

EDIT: I bought Reason, sold my license, and then a few months afterwards bought it again lol... don't ask. I have a weird relationship with music software and hardware :( a weird, expensive relationship

modiesel

edit

modiesel

yea i used nanosync that's how i got the song from my ipod to my pc. however when i go to send the project file from pc to ipod using nanosync it says it is on there but it never shows up on my ipod. does it have to be in some other file type than nsp? do i need to extract all the files (whatever that even means, im really not very computer savy, things always were a bit of a headscratcher to me)

Blip Interactive

.nsp's are fine, but make sure you put them in the project folder (or a subfolder of that).

The only thing I can think of is that if you have NanoStudio's file dialogue open it won't automatically refresh itself when NanoSync copies a file in. You can force it to refresh by viewing to a different folder and then returning back again (or exit the file dialogue and re-enter it).

godsproblem

I'm having a problem. First I have an 8g iPhone. I recently deleted some projects that were "old" and mixed down. My friend wants to use a instrumental I created through nanostudio. He noticed a drum out of place. I want to get this instrumental back as a project to fix the part. I've tried everything. I finally got it back as a sample. But it's too large of a file to play. I'm letting my friend down if I don't fix it in 1 day or 2. Any thoughts?

Blip Interactive

If you deleted the project you're going to be out of luck. Although it's too late now, you should archive 'old' projects by exporting them as an nsp - the export process will ignore unused samples and compress the nsp file, so it's the most efficient way to do it in terms of storage space.

If you're really desperate, the only alternative I can think of is to get the final mix (the file you still have) over to a computer using NanoSync, and then do some chopping and splicing to fix what you can.

godsproblem

Thanks for the input. I will be nsp'ing everything I make now.

QbAnYtO

That's how I do it :)