MIDI Disabled

20 replies [Last post]
nominil

I’m on a MacBook Pro running 10.6.6 with Nanostudio 1.13. I cannot get MIDI into the program. “Disabled” is in the field where I should be able to choose the MIDI device. I’m using an M-Audio KeyRig 49, and I’m able to get MIDI into GarageBand and Logic with no problem. Anyone have an idea of what I might need to do to get it to work?

Blip Interactive

Can you use the '+' button next to where it says 'Disabled' to choose a device?

nominil

Unfortunately, I can’t. Keyboard is on, but it can’t seem to find it. I’m going to update my OS to 10.6.7. Maybe that will overwrite some bit somewhere that’s unhappy. It’s strange that other apps see the keyboard without an issue.

It’d be nice to find a solution, but I realize that Nanostudio for Mac is more of a demo. I do own the iOS version and I’m hoping the Synthstation I ordered for my iTouch gets here soon.

Blip Interactive

The OSX version's MIDI functionality was kind of tacked on in a day or so because it seemed a shame not to have it but I wouldn't claim it's has the same testing as GarageBand. I'm on OSX 10.6.6 here and I've tested it with a few devices (SynthStation via USB, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and Korg NanoKey) without issue but that's not to say it's perfect. I'll be interested to know how you get on with 10.6.7 - it's a long shot, but you never know.

nominil

I plugged in my Akai LPK25 and was able to play Nanostudio with that. I guess there’s something up with the KeyRig, which doesn’t really surprise me.

Blip Interactive

Glad you got it working - I haven't had much luck with M-Audio stuff. The Fast Track Ultra likes to Kernel Panic (OSX) or Blue Screen (Windows) if you're foolish enough to turn it on or off with the computer on, or put the computer to sleep with the Ultra on. M-Audio's advice is simply to 'not do that' - amateurish POS!

nominil

I may be posting in the wrong place, but I’m really hoping my piece of crap M-Audio keyboard will work with the final Nanostudio for Mac. I’m really looking forward to being able to send songs back and forth between the two apps. I checked the OS X alpha last night, and my keyboard still doesn’t show up, but I know alphas are alphas.

Blip Interactive

If you go to the MANAGE/MIDI page, can you use the +/- buttons of the 'MIDI Input Device' box?

I don't wish to bad-mouth anyone else's audio hardware or software, but don't get me started on M-Audio. I have a Fast Track Ultra which blue screens (Windows) or Kernel Panics (OS X) my computer if I'm stupid enough to switch it on or off with the computer running. Their solution : don't do this. My solution : use as dust collector/door stop. Sometimes you might decide you want to make some music AFTER you've switched your computer on, crazy I know. The only reason I bought the piece of crap was to test out MIDI USB devices on the Mac/Windows version so I suppose it's served it purpose. On Windows, it will no longer run because it reckons the driver's not right, but it won't let me install a new driver because it reckons it can't remove the old one.

OK rant over, at least I've got my own forum to moan - I didn't get anywhere on theirs :)

nominil

Unfortunately, the +/- buttons don’t do anything. I’m on Lion, but I had this problem with an older version of NS under Snow Leopard. My small Akai keyboard worked fine back then, and I’m guessing it will now, too.

I completely agree that M-Audio hardware, particularly the cheap stuff I’m familiar with, is a giant pile. However, this keyboard is class-compliant, and I haven’t had any problems with other apps not receiving MIDI from it, from Reason and Logic to some pretty esoteric stuff like U&I Software’s Xx.

I hope you can borrow a crummy Keystation or KeyRig or whatever to check it out. As I said, NS on both iTouch and Mac represents a powerful combination for me. I’m assuming you are going to sell the final desktop NS versions, and I’m very willing to buy if I can only get my keyboard recognized.

Blip Interactive

Hmm that'll serve me right for having a go at M-Audio (I actually thought their hardware was OK i this case, let down by the software).

Looking at my code to detect the MIDI input devices, it's actually pretty simple so there's very little to go wrong. The one loophole I can see is that I don't add the device to the list if it doesn't return a name or manufacturer. I wonder if this is the case? (could still be chance to blame them for being a bit crap after all).

Can you remember if Reason or Logic reports a name, or does it just call it 'Generic device' or similar? I'll change my code anyway to do something along these lines, maybe it'll then show up as something in the next release.

nominil

Sounds like that might be it. In Reason, the manufacturer is listed, but not the keyboard model. I’ll give it another try when the next alpha is up.

Blip Interactive

OK cool well I reckon that was it, I've made the changes and I'll put up the beta version next week. Fingers crossed!

shoutcacophony

I can choose a device using the +/- keys, but no midi input from external devices registers. MacOS 10.6.8, akai mpk49, akai mpkmini, korg padkontrol. Tried via network and IAC as well, fwiw.

Blip Interactive

So are you seeing the MIDI In indicator flashing on the MANAGE/MIDI page? If it is, then try experimenting with the MIDI Omni setting. If not, I'm struggling to think of suggestions.

tilomaniac

Hey there, I'm running nanostudio 1.34 on Mac OSX 10.8.1, and I'm having a very similar problem to nominil's... My Keystation 49es doesn't work with any of the synths: it says "MIDI Disabled", and I can't use the + or - buttons. The keyboard does work with Garageband etc, so... That aside, I wanted to commend you on your excellent app: by far the best for music production on the go! But I digress...

R0381N

I am experiencing the same problem (though I am using M-audio Oxygen25) however, when I used the Oxygen25 with Nanostudio the first time it worked perfectly. Now, when I enter the MIDI preferences, it shows as "disabled". I can change the input device to the Oxygen25 by pressing "+", but the "active"-light does not come on as it did the first time. Nothing happens as I press the keys or tweak the knobs, and if I exit the MIDI preferences and re-enter, it shows as it is disabled again. And the device still works fine in GarageBand, so it's not that. I feel like I've tried it all, from restarting Nanostudio to rebooting the computer and USB-device, tried different settings and such, but I'm pretty stuck.

zashta

Hi, the same problem. I have OSX 10.6.8 and I'll try use nanokey2 nothing happend, hit the midi button to the devise detected and does'n work. =( Solutions?

Blip Interactive

Hmm strange. I've got a Korg NanoKey (er v1 I think) here and that's working OK for me. Have you got any other apps running which might be trying to use that device too?

zashta

No, i dont. I can running other apps with the nanokey (garage band, and some from Native instruments) But i cant use it in nanostudio =( im sad because is a great app.

Cpu Red

Make sure all midi connections are enabled inside nanostudio, the nanostudio ones, and the midi keyboard ones. I had this problem before on my iPhone and didn't think it mattered if the NS one was enabled.

zashta

Well, tanks all of you. I just download again the app, but version 1.4.2 (I have an old one) and it works!!!! nanoKeys and nanoKontrol... Im happy now!!! =)