trouble with establishing a connection

27 replies [Last post]
d_fyah

Hey guys..

First and foremost, as it is my first post on here, lots of big ups and appreciation for that wonderful little piece of on-the-go DAW!
Nanostudio is indeed a top notch application for swiftly transforming musical ideas into audible sketches, that do actually sound good. Nanostudio offers almost anything within the range of needs for producers of electronic music (maybe the FX section could be a bit more refined, especially the reverb leaves too little options for my taste, ..but that doesnt lower the quality of the app in any way...and leaves some space for v2.0) . !

back to the topic,
I've been trying hard to get the pc (win xp prof. 32bit) to connect to the studio, without success.

steps been:
> nanostudio running > enabling connectivity > starting nanosync > connect > phone gets shown in the list, so I pick it and continue >

>and that's it. The programm keeps telling that is searches for the phone IP (which is the correct IP) and after a certain while it jumps back to the initial connection screen providing the message, that the attempt to connect has been cancelled due to timeout issues (it took to long to get a response). The exact same situation occurs when I enter the phone-IP manually and don't just pick it from the list of available devices in the network.

Hope that was detailed enough and I would be thankful for any type of advise on how to get this to work.

Thanks

Danny

Blip Interactive

Hi Danny. Congratulations/commiserations on people the first person with what sounds like a genuine network problem - I knew it was too good to last.

Cheers for the detail - it sounds like you're doing everything right. I think the first thing to try would be briefly disabling your Windows firewall to see if it's causing the problem. Instructions on how to do this for Windows XP are located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/winfirewall...

If disabling the firewall works, turn it back on and (further down that page) there are instructions on how to add NanoSync as a firewall exception.

If it still doesn't work then make sure you re-enable your firewall and I'll see what else I can think of.

Do you have any other firewall/anti virus software installed which might try to block the connection?

d_fyah

yay for being the first!

Thanks for the quick reply, as far as firewalls are concerned I don't use the internal windows one, rather zonelabs own. That usually pops up with an information that a certain sotware wants to gain access, which -in the case of NanoSync- never happened.

Im currently in the Studio, so I can' t test it right away. I'll make another post later today. I have no problems establishing connections to the phone, so it could well be a port or firewall issue.

laters then, for the moment, thanks for the fast reply

d_fyah

Problem solved!
It was indeed a blocked port. I created a rule for NanoSync in the firewall settings, now everything seems to work fine!

respect in every aspect,

DannyFyah | Supersonic Sound Berlin

Blip Interactive

Sweet, I love it when a plan comes together!

Corlix

Hello,
I have just about the exact same situation as Fyah, down to this also being my first post. I have the same XP setup, but disabling the firewall has not helped me. I checked the iphone, it is connected to the same network as my laptop. I disabled my firewall software, closed both programs, and reopened them with the firewall inactive. Still there is no connection. This was all happening while selecting my phone device list in nanosync. While the firewall was down I also tried entering the IP address that shows up on my phone after enabling nanosync. That resulted in the same connection time out error that Fyah mentioned earlier.
So I am stumped. Any thoughts?

~Cheers, C

Blip Interactive

So, just to confirm where you've got to:

- On the phone the MANAGE/NanoSync page shows that it's ready with a yellow light and an IP address
- In NanoSync you see your device listed but it fails to connect using the 'Found Device' method
- If you try the manual method by entering the IP address, it still fails to connect
- The error message you get is some sort of timeout

Corlix

Hello,
-yes, confirm addy and yellow light
-yes, found the phone but will not connect
-yes, did not connect using the IP address
-yes, "did not respond after a period of time, or established conn..." for some reason the whole message is not displayed in the window. I cannot resize or select the window/message to see what the whole thing says.

Thank you.

Blip Interactive

It really sounds like you've done everything right. Yours is only the second report of this (the first being the original poster) so it's really difficult to diagnose without much to go on. The first guy solved his problem by unblocking the port but if you've tried disabling your firewall then it sounds like you've already covered this.

I can think of two things to try:

- Set up a separate ad-hoc network (this is like a separate network where your computer acts as the router). It should only take a few minutes to try out - instructions are here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

- Bypass NanoSync and try using a program like iPhone Explorer http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/ NanoStudio's files are under Apps/NanoStudio/Documents/User, and you'll need to ensure that wav files have been converted to 16 bit before you copy them over since NanoSync normally performs this function for you.

Sorry I can't come up with a quick fix, it's really difficult to solve these rare network problems without physically being there and testing various things to see what's going on and even then it's not always possible. I realise using the word 'rare' doesn't help when you're the 'rare' one! Let me know how you get on with the suggestions above and in the meantime if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Corlix

Hey, sorry for the late update.
So I started with trying the iphone explorer workaround. The program actually would encounter some error when starting up and it didn't get off the ground.
I tried setting up the adhoc network next and got similar results as I was getting before. In this case the iphone would see the adhoc network and would connect to it, but once in nanostudio & nanosync the two pc and iphone would not recognize each other.
Finally I pulled out a separate and setup a wifi for just my pc and the iphone. Bam it connect with no trouble at all. I don't have a reasonable explanation for this other than the original router had some weird way of handling traffic that the second one didn't.
Thank you for the help and hopefully the next user that has a problem has a little more to work with.

~Cheers

Blip Interactive

10/10 for persistence! I'm glad you found a way to get it up and running, and sorry you had so much grief. This router problems are a real bitch - they only occur for a small amount of people, the specific cause is often different each time, and even when it's solved you don't really know what was wrong to help the next person out :(

gmanni

Hello Blip, d_fyah,

which port the nanosync server uses?
I would like to open a rule on the firewall but not sure how to find which port is used

thank you in advance for reply

gmanni

Ok I found the port and is a TCP 10240 on the device (iPad or iPhone) so if you have a firewall between the device and the computer open that port towards the device
Hope it will help someone

Thanx

Blip Interactive

Aw sorry man, I meant to reply and then it slipped my mind! Glad you got there yourself eventually.

Antimon

I thought I'd just say that I'm have similar problems as in Corlix's first post here intermittently - sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't (currently it's not :( ).

I'm connecting an iPad or an iPod touch to a wireless router, and I have a laptop connected to the router via cable. Yellow light in NanoStudio, my iPad appears in the list in Nanosync, but when I try to connect it times out.

I'm pretty sure this is all due to some issues with my wifi, since I constantly have different problems also when not using iStuff, like file transfers stalling etc., and surfing on the iPad is generally pretty slow.

I do find it curious that I get 100% success on the first handshake (i.e. NanoSync always finds my Nanostudio and displays it in the list, and Nanostudio never complains), but it's a struggle to setup the actual connection.

Kiden

Had the same problem and Googled to here.. solution for me was changing the firewall settings on the router (I didn't need to change Windows Firewall as I'd allowed it access on install as per instructions).

By default on my router (Netgear) the Firewall Rules allow all outbound traffic and block all inbound traffic. The latter seems to cause the problem.

Step 1:
I logged into my router, went into Security > Services and set up a new service for Nanosync on port 10240.

Step 2:
Then I went into Security > Firewall rules, under 'Inbound Services' I clicked 'Add', chose 'Nanonsync(10240)' from the Service pull-down (which I'd created in Step 1), chose 'ALLOW Always' as the action, and set the LAN Server to my router's IP address (192.168.0.1).

Then it worked. HTH someone.

PS - love Nanostudio!! :D

lenn

I hope it will work for me too, the last time I disabled my Windows Firewall I ended up searching for a reliable spyware remover, my security system failed to protect me and things got messy. Is there any guarantee that after you disable the firewall nothing wrong can happen? I don't want to risk all my files.

marcesmith

There was a common problem with Windows Xp as well. With the release of Service Pack 2, many users experienced a situation where many of the programs they used daily ceased to function properly. This version of the Windows Firewall (which manages web security connections) was blocking ports needed by these programs to establish a connection to the Internet. The firewall software did not yet recognize the applications as "authorized," so it blocked them, thinking they were some form of malware.

Blip Interactive

Spam? I can't tell.

syrupcore

Definitely. I was marveling a little at this one earlier today. It's an impressive bit of code to crawl the web for forum posts in context, register and then post. I reckon crawling is done via google plus screen scraping these days though. Still, impressive.

Stiksi

Very impressive and more than a bit scary.

instinctive

What's troubling is that appearently Trend Micro is using Spam bots to promote their products, or pays spammers to do so...

iammane

Oh recession... lol :)

instinctive

Haha :)

Blip Interactive

Man those double-dip spambots!

clintin'

Please help me. My iphone IS connected to the same wifi as my computer with nanosync but my nanostudio says the wifi connection is unavailable. No: airplane mode isn't on, my firewall has allowances, enable is pressed. I am on windows 8 with a 64 bit processor and my phone is a 5s. This app is great but useless to me without the capability to sample.

syrupcore

@clintin' Just to be sure, if you turn off cellular data can you still connect to the internet from your phone? Also, did you try the direct IP entry method?

Stiksi

And if that doesn't work, you can use audiocopy or "open in…" to import samples, so there are quite a few options.